• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tropical Fish, anyone have a fish tank?

This may sound odd but over the years I have made several humidors from old fish tanks. Just make a plexy glass top attach a humidifier to it line it with spanish ceder and your set more or less. See CC we can bring any subject back to cigars :D

Bob

I used to have several tanks. One 55 was for my South American redtail catfish. Another 55 housed a myriad of African cichlids. I also had a 30 which was home to 5 tomato clownfish and a bunch of invertebrates.

When my son gets a little older I look forward to revisiting this old hobby.

Rob

WOW!! Thanks everyone for all of your input!! :thumbs:

bmd34202 PMd me and also suggested going marine (saltwater) as did quite a few of you here. So I found an awesome new fish store locally and told them what my deal was, I had some freshwater experience and he recommended a book to me called "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S. Paletta. A few other store patrons also highly recommended this book as it's perfect for beginners like me.

As a few of you mentioned, the initial set up is more expensive but once you have it done, it's really not so bad and the fish tend to live longer.

I'm going to do some more studying and will probably set one up in the near future. I REALLY ought to worry about my other irons in the fire like fixing the blown engine in the Jaguar.....
That's awesome Bill! I think you'll enjoy it much more in the long run!
We're going to need to see some pics when you get something set up!!! :thumbs:

I'll revive this thread. I am a member of the Washington DC Area Marine Aquarist Society and was selected a Tank Of The Month. I love my reef ecosystem very much; between the the marine reef hobby and the cigar hobby keep me broke but dammit is a well worth addiction ;)

Here are some pictures of my set up:

CHR_0588.jpg

CHR_0670.jpg

CHR_0676.jpg

CHR_0683.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

I am quite the picture whore :)

:0 :0 :0

OMG !!!

That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

I decided that if I ever get back into this, I'm going marine. :thumbs:

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

1. How many gallons is that tank?
2. Is it drilled or do you have the filter and protein skimmer hanging off the back?
3. Do you have the fancy lighting for the coral/reefs?

Rsaavedra, that is quite possibly one of the tightest setups I have seen. Being that I am not into aquariums all that much, maybe it doesn't mean as much. But it is still the madness :)

:0 :0 :0
OMG !!!

That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

I decided that if I ever get back into this, I'm going marine. :thumbs:

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

1. How many gallons is that tank?
2. Is it drilled or do you have the filter and protein skimmer hanging off the back?
3. Do you have the fancy lighting for the coral/reefs?
Thanks for the compliments, if you click on my signature tag you can get more in depht information on the system, in a nut shell here are the specs:

90 Gallons AGA(Main) drilled for 2 X 1.5" bulkheads for drain
20 Gallons Sump (under the stand) with ASM G3 Protein Skimmer with Recirc Mod, MaxiJet 1200 and Gate Valve Mod
5 Gallons Hang On the Back CPR Refugium with 18W PC Jali Fixture
5X54W High Output T5 Retro Kits (lights) Back to Front bulb order:
-1 Giesemann AquaBlue+
-1 ATI Blue+
-1 Giesemann 6000K Midday Sun
-1 Giesemann Actinic+
-1 ATI Blue+
1 MAG18 return pump running through a 3/4" WavySeas
Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk Stirrer
JBJ ATO
ReefKeeper II Controller
2 MaxiJet 1200 and 1 MaxiJet 900
ReefKeeper II Wavemaker

When you decide to start your new tank let me know and I'll be more than glad to help you with as much information as I can and advice as well. I can also donate some beginner corals once you are setup and established.;) I posted the pictures mainly because of you and some of the other members who are undecided to take the leap - kind'a trying to influence your decision :)
Rsaavedra, that is quite possibly one of the tightest setups I have seen. Being that I am not into aquariums all that much, maybe it doesn't mean as much. But it is still the madness :)
Hey Dsav101 thanks for the kind words, not to be modest but my setup as nice as it is it isn't anything compared as some of the systems that are out there (multiple thousand $ ones) Never the less I seem to think mine is as nice as it can be without pouring my kids college fund into it:) If you are ever in my neck of the woods feel free to LMK and I can give you a quick tour of my system. Is very difficult to keep a healthy, well balanced reef ecosystem but is worth every second of it after you master the routine and laws. After a 40 mile commute each way and a long day of work there isn't anything more satisfying than to plant my worn out ass in front of tank and stare at it for a while and the inner peace I get from it... PRICELESS!!! :)

Raf

I have an 1800 gal Koi pond. Does that count. All of the work of a pool, and I can jump in if I'm so inclined.

About ten years ago I was the fish tank boy for the neighbor with a 180 gallon salt tank for sharks and rays. Had a 2 foot leopard, grey shark and a banded shark living happily for years also had a few no sharks. The neighbors son was fascinated by sharks, so all my attempts to make it a reef tank failed. Sharks are just too aggro for delicate reef animals.

Hey Rsaavedra, great pics! All the fun of SCUBA diving without gearing up!

I've had a couple of fresh water fish tanks over the years. The last go-round of fish ended about ten years ago. The fish tank sat empty in my daughter's room for a while and then somehow we ended up with 2 pet rats. The domestic kind (we bought them at the pet store for $2 each). They were adorable! The kids thought it was big fun to get them out at parties and walk around with them sitting on their shoulder.

Hey CC, maybe you could caulk up the floorboards and doorseams of one your Jags and make an aquarium out of it! How cool would that be? :laugh:

edits:typos

here's my fish tank
grouper02.jpg

actually, my 10yo got a 10g tank 2 weeks ago, and we've had fun, so far, prolly upgrade tanks soon

We had a 40 gallon tank set up with a single 5-6" Jack Demsey Ciclid. He was a lot of fun, coming up to the top whenever we came near, hoping to get some food. We decided to treat him with some feeder goldfish a few months ago. It appears that they were diseased because he got sick and I had to euthanize him. :( I'm thinking about setting up the tank again once the holidays are over. Probably try to make a diverse tropical set-up. :thumbs:

Beautiful set up rsaavedra. Reef tanks are a wonderful hobby.

I have been into tripical fish since I was eight years old. Started with fresh water fish and have progressed to a 130 gallon reef tank. While I don't profess to be an expert, I do agree that bigger is better. It takes longer for thing to change in a larger volume of water than a smaller one thus giving you time to recognize a problem before it turns into a disaster.

Maintenance, if done religously, is not that bad. If you can spend 5 - 15 minutes a day, 30 minutes every week end, and one, sometimes two hours once a month, you should be abel to keep a very healthy aquarium. Also, technology is constantly improving and making reef keeping easier every day.

The initial expense of a reef aquairum is higher than a fish only tank. However, you can start with fish only and over time add the equipment needed for a reef. I have been building my system for well over ten years. One of the most important, and most expensive items is lighting. Again, more is better, except for your electric bill.

There are many good books on the subject and a wealth of information on the internet. Just as with cigars, there are many on line retailers that offer very good prices on equipment. Some also offer fish and corals. I prefer the B&M stores for my livestock. Something about seeing exactly what you are getting.

I think I will shut up here before I go on and on. Suffice it to say that an aquarium is as relaxing as a good cigar. Plus the wife and kids can enjoy it as well.

Yup, 72g bow in my office. Reef set up with PC lights so only softies for me. Still in its infancy stage so its nothing like Raf's but, I like it. :)

I'll post some pic's this weekend.

agreed once they are set up water changes and minimal maintenance is all thats required.

Damn bro... YOU SUCK FOR POSTING THIS!!! :thumbs:
AMAZING!!! Makes me really want to get back into it!!! I had a 30gal. set-up for a few years.

My Petsmart has a 12gal. set-up that I really want to get... It's similar to this...

st_12g_aquapod_36966p_003.jpg

Just don't have the room in this house for a big tank like I want!!! :angry:

Damn bro... YOU SUCK FOR POSTING THIS!!! :thumbs:
AMAZING!!! Makes me really want to get back into it!!! I had a 30gal. set-up for a few years.

My Petsmart has a 12gal. set-up that I really want to get... It's similar to this...

st_12g_aquapod_36966p_003.jpg

Just don't have the room in this house for a big tank like I want!!! :angry:

Back