• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tupperdor Humidification

Just out of curiousity, how good is your seal and what is your ambient rh%?

The seal is good. Actually, believe it or not, the RH goes up when I put the Xikar or the Broveda in it. It is around 67 or 68 percent in the house normally. I am being maybe too cautious. I just don't want to ruin any cigars. So I have been trying different ways to insure the humidity remains in the "boy these sticks smoke good" range. And am finding that at least 2 of the humidification accessories really don't work in a tupperware container. ???

Excuse the newb question here, but have you dry boxed your whole stash for any amount of time?

If the RH in your air-tight container is high with the sticks in, one might conclude that your cigars are carrying a fair amount of excess RH. In JonDot's example, his sticks came from a strict 65%RH environment. Perhaps an amount of time away from humidification for your cigars and then try the Boveda or beads again; something that will offer two way humidification. I would think in an airtight environment, an outlet for excess RH is critical.

....or just back to the wood shop. :)

I guess I haven't been clear. Sorry. If I place my hygrometer in the tupperdore without any outside humidification beads or crystals, the humidity inside of the box will fall to around 68% RH (the current RH in my home and a very smokable range for me.) I just wanted to add some protection to insure that level is maintained without a whole lot of concern, and I think I have found that the only way to at least keep the cigars close is to not humidify the tupperdore because the "two way" is only "one way" in tupperware. :0 I am sure (I think) there must be a way to do it. I just haven't found it............yet. :whistling: Down, but not out.

edit for spelling

I am going to throw in a suggestion for Heartfelt beads. They are seemingly idiot proof, which makes them ideal for me. Nice two way humidification. Can't put too many of these bad boys in. They have kept my humi at 65-66% RH. David has excellent customer service and was more than happy to answer all my questions. www.heartfeltindustries.com These would really help with your excess RH.

If that doesn't look good, I'd second the Boveda packets.

Agreed - Heartfelt Beads are your solution, in my humble opinion.

In my cooler (not quite as air tight, but close), I find the best way to ensure the humidity does not creep up is with hf beads. I have the 65% beads, and for the most part, I leave them dry during the summer, and give them a little spritz with distilled water every few weeks in winter. Year round the humidity stays rock solid @ 66%. The benefit is that these beads both release and absorb moisture, giving you the buffer you want.

I am going to throw in a suggestion for Heartfelt beads. They are seemingly idiot proof, which makes them ideal for me. Nice two way humidification. Can't put too many of these bad boys in. They have kept my humi at 65-66% RH. David has excellent customer service and was more than happy to answer all my questions. www.heartfeltindustries.com These would really help with your excess RH.

If that doesn't look good, I'd second the Boveda packets.

Agreed - Heartfelt Beads are your solution, in my humble opinion.

In my cooler (not quite as air tight, but close), I find the best way to ensure the humidity does not creep up is with hf beads. I have the 65% beads, and for the most part, I leave them dry during the summer, and give them a little spritz with distilled water every few weeks in winter. Year round the humidity stays rock solid @ 66%. The benefit is that these beads both release and absorb moisture, giving you the buffer you want.

Thanks. I am / was under the impression Boveda and Xikar were supposed to be 2 way devices as well.

I have 3 tupperdors and 1 humidor. I use the silica based kitty litter to maintain a consist RH. It's worked better for me then all other forms of humidification. You should try that as I believe it works better for tupperdors.