• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tupperdors and funny smells

the mayor

So I've finally run out of room in the humidor and decided for space sake to make a small (25 stick) tupperdor. After searching the forum I went to the shop and got an old Ashton box, hygrometer and Drymistat tube. I'm using just the bottom of the box, seasoned with distilled water, and am getting a near perfect humidity. THE PROBLEM, when I crack open the tupperdor it smells like bananas. I decided to try a different box and got an Excalibur box, which now smells a little like dog food. I've searched around and haven't heard of this happening. First off, this is a problem, right? I'm assuming it is, but at the same time people store boxes all the time. Is it because I seasoned them? Second, if it is a problem, recommended solutions. Thank you.

Hmmmmm, I don't think it's a problem. I would guess that what ever is causing the funny smell will fade away over time. I don't think it will affect the cigars.

Fill up the tupperdor with Havanas and you'll get a nice "barnyard" aroma ;)

Sand the wood with fine sand paper. It will bring out the cedars natural aroma. CC, I can't believe you over looked it. I guess you could see over that stack of stinky old habana's. That;s too bad because it has been over 2 months since I smoked a DC from the Dark Side.

Emo

:whistling:

I sanded it down and it still smells like your mother. booyah. ;)

j/k

thanks for advice, the last thing i want to do is smoke some banana dog food.

I sanded it down and it still smells like your mother. booyah. 

:laugh: :laugh:

He's gonna fit in good around here :laugh:

That;s too bad because it has been over 2 months since I smoked a DC from the Dark Side.

Emo

Emo, you know me, I'm kinda slow and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're gettin' at :whistling:

No, no, no! Paint the inside of the tupperdor with a good lead based paint.

I am almost certain that the inside will not smell "banana-chow".

:D

coventrycat86 said:
Hmmmmm, I don't think it's a problem. I would guess that what ever is causing the funny smell will fade away over time. I don't think it will affect the cigars.

Fill up the tupperdor with Havanas and you'll get a nice "barnyard" aroma ;)
[snapback]153592[/snapback]​

Hey CC, my sister refers to the aroma as "donkey". I asked her why, and she said it reminds her of the time she rode a donkey at the zoo...at least she doesn't think it smelled like bull....

Kento said:
Hey CC, my sister refers to the aroma as "donkey". I asked her why, and she said it reminds her of the time she rode a donkey at the zoo...at least she doesn't think it smelled like bull....
[snapback]153843[/snapback]​

Donkey smell always smoke well. Hmmm. Hmmm.

MMMMMM ISOM's. They do have a special twang to them don't they? :love:

So let me get this right, Im spending all this money on isoms and they are going to make my humi smell like butt,barnyard and donkey?

Yup, but you will learn to like it. Not sure if it's an acquired taste, like some other things I can think of...

ABSOLUTELY Seperate those infectious cuban cigars immediately and send to them to me. Yes just put attention BenjieV on the package. In return with a day or 2 notice of what you would interested in smoking and I will Pony Express the next smoke to your prompt attention :p

BWHAAAAAAAA....................

BenjieV :D

It really was just a matter of time before the "Send them to me" post came. Just glad it came after the new year. One more and I may have hung myself, and this place couldn't get by without a Mayor.