• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

tupperware for loose stick storage in wineador?

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
Hey guys,

I always tried shooting to store my loose sticks (even if there are a good amount of the same stick) in wooden cigar boxes.. but I have just been having a tough time making this work while trying to balance in space efficiency, and now that I have moving to cooled fridges.. a certain distance from the walls to avoid (hopefully) my cigars taking a bath. I was considering just stacked the bags of sticks like many do, but I just dont trust myself in placing them securely (and will worry about it constantly).
SO... I was wondering about using tupperware containers, and stacking them. What are you guys' thoughts? Any long term problems that I am not seeing at this point? Also, should I be drilling holes into the container, and where? Do I have to worry about long term plastic smell, and are there particular brands you guys know of that dont/wont have this problem? Can I go with the cheaper ziploc containers?

Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Steve

Normally people get drawers made for their wine cooler for singles, if not, whatever fits that has air flow, like slotted plastic baskets. Right now, I just got a new cooler, and I need drawers made for it, which I've already ordered. But in the meantime (about a month) I have all my singles in 6 finger baggies, unzipped for airflow.

Clean the plastic containers with very hot water and allow to air dry in the sun, the plastic smell will disappear. Then you're good to go!

Good luck,

CJ

I have cedar drawers in mine. As well as a cheap plastic container where I have my tabac Dulce's and my isla del sol. Of course these are coffee infused, that's why I keep them separate from the rest. So far I havent had any issues. I keep it completely sealed and have a 50ct xikar puck for humidity, and a hygrometer in there as well.

Got to your local B&M, pick up a wooden box or two for a couple of bucks. Problem solved.... :cool:

I use Lock & Lock containers, Tupperware, and the occasional airtight storage containers (i.e. not Trademarked) in my walk-in without any storage problems. Granted, it's been a couple of years so I'll let you know in a decade what I find. Just throw a cedar sheet and beads and it becomes it's own personal humidor. I use these on my higher priced smokes as an added layer of protection. Just open the container(s) once a month for about 10 minutes. I throw in 5'vers and Ziploc bags in the containers just for grouping convenience with no mold issues. I've read before that Ziploc is a permeable material, so it'll breathe.

The rest are in boxes like your cooled fridge. My .02

I have had sticks sitting in airtight tupperware containers for over a year, with no humidification, with no problems. I just don't open the container very much. Stays within a couple % humidity of the sticks when I put them in. Just store them in a cool dark place. Great way to age smokes IMO.

Thanks for the input so far guys! I mainly just trying to keep the cigars from rolling around/unstable as a pile of bags in he wineador.. Im wondering lid or no lid, but figure that I would likely want to have some kind of constant vented, so that the cigars are in equilibrium with the entire wineador as a whole... idk

Steve

More smokey....less talky....problem solved!

:p

Oh, I use trays or cigar boxes. Non-cooled humidor.