• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two Free Cigars with my order!

Cigar Hound

Shaken, Not Stirred
I won a bid on Famous-Smoke for a 5er of HDM Dark Sumatra's the other day and expected them to come in yesterday as usual. When I get to the office and open the box this morning, to my surprise there are two additional cigars included in my order. :p They are a Drew Estates Natural Root and Drew Estates Natural Dirt Torpedo. ??? Included with the two Naturals is a brochure from them talking about how the Natural line is misunderstood and everyone thinks of it as ACID's older brother, but that it really isn't even similar, blah, blah, blah...yada, yada. I suppose this is a marketing ploy to get unsuspecting individuals to try the Naturals, that wouldn't ordinarily try them. I'm sure at some point I'll give them a try, but I gotta say these things smell bad. Not like the potpourri smell of ACID's, but funky none the less.
Has anyone else ever tried these? And has anyone been given this deal?

...They are a Drew Estates Natural Root and Drew Estates Natural Dirt Torpedo. ??? Included with the two Naturals is a brochure from them talking about how the Natural line is misunderstood and everyone thinks of it as ACID's older brother, but that it really isn't even similar, blah, blah, blah...yada, yada. I suppose this is a marketing ploy to get unsuspecting individuals to try the Naturals, that wouldn't ordinarily try them. I'm sure at some point I'll give them a try, but I gotta say these things smell bad. Not like the potpourri smell of ACID's, but funky none the less.
Has anyone else ever tried these? And has anyone been given this deal?

Yes. They are one of those love 'em or hate 'em cigars. I happen to love them. As far as a marketing ploy...I would say that it is more an attempt to educate people to the difference between the Acid line and the Natural line of Drew Estate cigars. And there is a BIG difference.

A description of DE Acids straight from the DE website:
While living in Nicaragua, Drew continued experimenting with cigar blends by adding essential oils, herbs and botanicals. “We knew when we began making cigars that we would like to make cigars that were much more exotic than what was out on the market,” Drew says. “We wanted to make cigars that expanded the flavor profile by using tobaccos from different parts of the world. We began importing exotic ingredients from Africa, Southeast Asia and East Asia. ACID was the first cigar that we manufactured ourselves and it’s been extremely rewarding for us,” Drew says. “Our infusion process allows us to change the flavor of cigars in a very subtle and unique way. We are basically using traditional methods of curing tobacco and then infusing the essences during all steps of the production and fermentation process...

Jonathan Drew says this about the DE Natural:
A lot of people say that Natural is similar to ACID,” Drew says. “It’s completely different. Natural cigars are based on gourmet blending and some of the blends are very traditional, but all of them have a pronounced and distinguishable flavor.

Most cigars have tobaccos from between one and three different countries. Four countries is pushing it, and five is unheard of. We blend tobaccos from up to 12 different countries in Natural. Countries like Turkey, Haiti, West
Africa, and even Louisiana in the U.S. create wonderful, rich tobaccos that are mild, yet extremely complex, but until now have never made their way into premium cigars.

The Root and the Dirt have a mochachino flavor. They're a great change of pace cigar, and good morning cigars too. :)

12 countries? Now that is a blend.

Never had a natural. In fact the on Drew Estate I have ever had was the La Vieja Habana, nothing to write the girlfriends dog about, but not a dog rocket either.

I like the La Vieja Habanas for the price. Honestly, the Natural line is a step up from those and are decent (especially after a few months of rest). Not in my regular rotation, but these offer a nice change-up occasionally. They are similar to Javas, IMO. Smart move of Drew Estate to produce something other than the ACID crap.

Yup, I got the same deal 2 weeks back from Famous when I got some bundles. I smoked em already, they were not too bad really. Definately different I must say and I think they are a hell of alot better than thier ACID line...not that would be a huge challenge really. I have smoked alot worse though and being freebies I can't complain at all. :D