• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two questions.....

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
I'm sure I could find these answers quickly in a google search, but I like to eat up Rod's bandwidth..... :laugh:

What is the status quo for pipe tobacco storage?

Who here uses filters in their pipes? Both of my new pipes have filters and I've been using one of them. The Savinelli have the little triangular wood filter, the other is a paper filter. Pros or cons to either or????

I'm sure I could find these answers quickly in a google search, but I like to eat up Rod's bandwidth..... :laugh:

What is the status quo for pipe tobacco storage?

Who here uses filters in their pipes? Both of my new pipes have filters and I've been using one of them. The Savinelli have the little triangular wood filter, the other is a paper filter. Pros or cons to either or????

I rarely age pipe tobacco. Long as the seal isn't broke, you're fine. I'm starting to use my old humidor for the pipe tobacco. If opened, just treat the pipe tobacco just like you would cigars. The tobacco still requires some humidification or it will dry out and be ruined. Just like cigars, once tried out they never recover. :(

As for filters...I had one on my first pipe but it was also a straight pipe. I have since then gone to the Bent style so I never really have to worry about the tar substance coming up the stem. As for the filter...I think the triangular wood one is supposed to be better but not for sure.

Good tips on storage from another site:

1.3 HOW SHOULD I STORE MY TOBACCO?
The moisture content of a tobacco affects the way it smokes and tastes; a tobacco that is too moist or too dry will not offer a pleasing smoke. One way to determine if your tobacco has the proper level of moisture is the "pinch test." Take a pinch of your tobacco and squeeze it tightly for a couple of seconds, then release it. If it immediately starts to "unravel," your tobacco is in good shape. If it stays in a tight clump, it is too wet. If it crumbles, it is too dry. Tobacco purchased in tins should retain its moisture for several weeks after opening. Blends purchased in "bulk," or tinned tobaccos that are to be stored for many weeks or months after opening should be stored in some type of container.

Standard "ziplock" sandwich bags are not airtight, and your tobacco will dry out over time if they are used for storage. Similar bags designed for use in the freezer are better, but still aren't completely satisfactory for anything other than relatively short term storage. Some people advocate the use of multiple bags in a Tupperware container, "Mason" jars, or heat-sealed, vacuum-pack bags. All of these methods are satisfactory; however, I prefer to use bail-top jars with rubber gaskets.

If your tobacco is too moist, you can leave the container open slightly, while monitoring it closely. If your tobacco has dried out, it is usually possible to revive it. (There is a point beyond which no amount of re-moistening is going to restore the flavor of a tobacco, but that time span is generally measured in months or years.) Some advocate placing a slice of apple or potato in the tobacco container.

This will work, but if left too long, you run the risk of introducing mold with this technique. Unlike cheese, the flavor of tobacco is not improved by mold, and once your container has been so contaminated, it is almost impossible to completely rid it of the mold spores that will attempt to infest any tobacco placed in that container in the future. A much safer method is to spray a tiny amount of water into the container and reseal it for a day or two, or purchase a ceramic humidifying disk from your tobacconist and place it in the storage container.

Concerning filters: I never use them. A pipe filter is mainly for preventing moisture from backing up the stem. Most well-made pipes don't have this problem as much, especially bent pipes (which is what I prefer). The problem with the insertable cotton-type filters is that the smoke passes through a soggy tar-sock on the way to your mouth. Tastes like crap. The triangular filter in the Savinelli is a balsa wood filter that allows the smoke to bypass the filter on three sides while still absorbing moisture. I have a Savinelli pipe, but I don't use the filters in it. However, I've heard that they serve their purpose well.

I have one straight filter pipe and a cob that takes filters. I only used them for the 1 or 2 aromatics I have. They do a good job of keeping the smoke dry, and keeping rogue tobacco particles from flying into my mouth, but I wouldn't want to obstruct the flow/flavor of my regular stuff.

Whenever I buy a pipe with a filter in it, I toss the filter as soon as I get home. If your tobacco is too moist and the pipe starts go gurgle, you can run a pipe cleaner in even while the tobacco is still burning and that should soak up most of the moisture. As with slcraiders post, I store tobacco in zip lock bags in a tupperdore with a humidifying element. Good luck!

Whenever I buy a pipe with a filter in it, I toss the filter as soon as I get home. If your tobacco is too moist and the pipe starts go gurgle, you canrun a pipe cleaner in even while the tobacco is still burning and that should soak up most of the moisture....

That is generally what I do.

As for storage. I keep the tobacco in the containers they come in. Most of the time this will leave them a little moister than I like to smoke. So I take a plate and just leave a bowls worth out for an hour or so, or until the pinch tests meets my needs.