• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Typing the word "popcorn" does not make you cool

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I'm trying to get caught up on all my CP reading and have noticed that there must be some urban legened around here about what constitutes being constructive.

Regardless of how long you've been here, saying "I'll get the popcorn!" or offereing to get any of the associated condiments or libations does not make you cool, superior, in-the-know, a FOG, or a BOTL. If someone is misdirected, why not point them in the correct direction rather than being such an irritant?

I know it's true that hustlers come around here from time to time. Yes it's true that according to the CP etiquite, it's rude to try to sell something on your first post. However, this is predominately a hobby for men - and men are to F*ing macho to ask for help or read directions. So, why would you expect them to know all the rules before posting for the first few times - I'm sure you didn't.

Regarding new folks trying to sell cigars....it IS possible that someone who doesn't know anything abut cigars might come to *gasp* a forum completely comprised of cigar smokers and enthusiasts to try to sell cigars.

So next time someone asks a question that's been asked a million times or wants to know where El Dentes come from, how about politely telling them how we do things around here. You might have missed this because you were too busy holding your crotch trying not to cream you jeans waiting for someone to get flamed......one of the things we do around here is try to uphold our title as "the friendliest online cigar community on the 'net!" So, why not pitch in and do your part by adding to the community instead of yearning to alienate someone as soon as they make the slightest error?.

Cheers,
Dixie

You're right, it's Christmas.

Who's got the eggnog?

:p

AVB said:
You're right, it's Christmas.

Who's got the eggnog?

:p
[snapback]266488[/snapback]​

Come and get it.... eggnog for all.....

4 parts eggnog, 1 part rum, 1 part Canadian Whiskey...sample to taste....er.....1/2 part bourbon......a little cream....ah, another egg.....ah some powdered sugar.......sample to taste, perfect,

wifey thinks it's a plot..... :love: :whistling: :whistling:

Cheers everyone!

Thanks Dixie. This is very insightful, I hope everyone reads this and reflects on it. :thumbs:

A worthwhile reminder, d-c.

It also helps to consider the fellow making the post as perhaps more intelligent than a superficial reading of his post might suggest, especially if they're new. After all, that is when one is least likely to understand "how things work." Be aware and then be careful of the attributions we ascribe to people. When in doubt, I assume all folk to be good folk. I consider screw-ups to result from lack of familiarity with the norms of the community and not to inherent "dumbassness."

Assume people are smarter than they seem rather than as stupid as we might think.

If you can't find it in you to show respect, at least do not show disrespect.

I get a lot of mileage out of those two ideas.

Wilkey

dixieland_conjunction said:
I'm trying to get caught up on all my CP reading and have noticed that there must be some urban legened around here about what constitutes being constructive.

Regardless of how long you've been here, saying "I'll get the popcorn!" or offereing to get any of the associated condiments or libations does not make you cool, superior, in-the-know, a FOG, or a BOTL. If someone is misdirected, why not point them in the correct direction rather than being such an irritant?

I know it's true that hustlers come around here from time to time. Yes it's true that according to the CP etiquite, it's rude to try to sell something on your first post. However, this is predominately a hobby for men - and men are to F*ing macho to ask for help or read directions. So, why would you expect them to know all the rules before posting for the first few times - I'm sure you didn't.

Regarding new folks trying to sell cigars....it IS possible that someone who doesn't know anything abut cigars might come to *gasp* a forum completely comprised of cigar smokers and enthusiasts to try to sell cigars.

So next time someone asks a question that's been asked a million times or wants to know where El Dentes come from, how about politely telling them how we do things around here. You might have missed this because you were too busy holding your crotch trying not to cream you jeans waiting for someone to get flamed......one of the things we do around here is try to uphold our title as So, why not pitch in and do your part by adding to the community instead of yearning to alienate someone as soon as they make the slightest error?.

Cheers,
Dixie
[snapback]266478[/snapback]​
Oh bull. If you come in here acting like a whackjob then you get treated like a whackjob. Don't act like it's the fault of the guys who were aready here when somebody gets there butt handed to them. You should note also that "the friendliest online cigar community on the 'net!" isn't part of this gig anymore. What's the matta wit you Dixie you takin' happy pills? It's pretty rare that somebody gets jumped for no reason. The system works.

Merry Christmas.

NA

SamClemmons said:

So next time someone asks a question that's been asked a million times or wants to know where El Dentes come from, how about politely telling them how we do things around here. You might have missed this because you were too busy holding your crotch trying not to cream you jeans waiting for someone to get flamed......one of the things we do around here is try to uphold our title as So, why not pitch in and do your part by adding to the community instead of yearning to alienate someone as soon as they make the slightest error?.

Cheers,
Dixie
Oh bull. If you come in here acting like a whackjob then you get treated like a whackjob. Don't act like it's the fault of the guys who were aready here when somebody gets there butt handed to them. You should note also that "the friendliest online cigar community on the 'net!" isn't part of this gig anymore. What's the matta wit you Dixie you takin' happy pills? It's pretty rare that somebody gets jumped for no reason. The system works.

Merry Christmas.

NA
[snapback]266512[/snapback]​

Welcome to CigarPass, the friendliest online cigar community on the 'net!

*cough*

I agree with the point you are making though, Neal. I think Dixie was just trying to express how unnecessary it is to fan the flames, as the circumstances are usually bad enough without it. If you don't have something to contribute or a point to make, it's better to shut the **** up.

I agree that the FOGs and established members shouldnt chase people off just for asking a dumb question, trying to sell something, or posting in the wrong forum. They should just remind them, or tell them for the first time, how things are done around here. It is up to the newb to decide whether to take the advice like a man, or start crying about it and tell the FOGs exactly where to shove it.
If some newb who has been here all of two days decides that he cant survive having his manhood challenged by CC telling him not to sell something on his first post, or just thinks Sam Clemmons should have stuck with steamboats, and decides to whip out his E-penis, then to heck with him. If you cant take a little critisism from someone who has been around a lot longer than you, then you have a lot of growing up to do, and cigars are the least of your problems.
While there is no need to egg on a bad situation, the reason its a bad situation in the first place is usually the fault of some newb with a lack of repect.

SamClemmons said:

Merry Christmas.

NA
[snapback]266512[/snapback]​

Oh good grief Neal, you know you I'm not talking about you!! First, when have you EVER not had something more clever to say than "hey guys pass the beer!"?

Soceond I'm NOT suggesting folks shouldn't get their asses handed to them when they're F*ups!! I know yer getting old, but have you really forgotten that you, Lee, and I toghether had quite a bit to do with Dave's departure (though nowhere near as much as he did) :p

I'm bitching about two things (neither of which is you, ya big teddy bear pushover):

1. A lot of people don't have your level of discression. Some folks on here are making an ignorant popcorn comment like every fourth post. Why do we need popcorn because someone wants to know cello on or off? I can't imagine your wasting your time and energy to adminster a patented Edicion Limitada Neal Asswhupping to someone for asking that.

2. The CP cheerleaders - our version of the skinny kid on the football team whose sole role is to piss in the little jars so the squad can pass the drug tests. In other words folks who either don't have the balls or the weight to go after anyone themselves. So instead they sit on the sidelines performing reacharounds to the FOGs who do step in just so they can feel like they're on the winning team.

Cheers,
Dixie

That's why I asked about the happy pills Dixie. I never thought for a second you was talkin' about me. I see yer point though. But stealing what little joy the giddy little knuckle chucklers get living vicariously through the more colorful, intolerant types around here is a small mean thing to do. Shame on you. For the record, I boiled davey down while you and Lee passed out the popcorn. You youngsters have a knack for revisionist history. Buwhahahahahahaha.

NA

Then again, there is the old adage, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", seems to fit this ocassion.

After all, whether a person will admit to it or not, the fact is that everyone started out as a Newbie. Some are just quicker to catch on than others.

Regardless of how long you've been here, saying "I'll get the popcorn!" or offereing to get any of the associated condiments or libations does not make you cool, superior, in-the-know, a FOG, or a BOTL.  If someone is misdirected, why not point them in the correct direction rather than being such an irritant?

I know it's true that hustlers come around here from time to time.  Yes it's true that according to the CP etiquite, it's rude to try to sell something on your first post.  However, this is predominately a hobby for men - and men are to F*ing macho to ask for help or read directions.  So, why would you expect them to know all the rules before posting for the first few times - I'm sure you didn't. 

So next time someone asks a question that's been asked a million times or wants to know where El Dentes come from, how about politely telling them how we do things around here.  You might have missed this because you were too busy holding your crotch trying not to cream you jeans waiting for someone to get flamed......one of the things we do around here is try to uphold our title as "the friendliest online cigar community on the 'net!"  So, why not pitch in and do your part by adding to the community instead of yearning to alienate someone as soon as they make the slightest error?.

Cheers,
Dixie

Nice, an appropriate post for any board. We can all get a lil too full of ourselves sometimes.

Eating your young does keep the schoolhouse from becoming overcrowded though.

Merry Christmas

Qualls07 said:
I agree that the FOGs and established members shouldnt chase people off just for asking a dumb question, trying to sell something, or posting in the wrong forum. They should just remind them, or tell them for the first time, how things are done around here. It is up to the newb to decide whether to take the advice like a man, or start crying about it and tell the FOGs exactly where to shove it.
If some newb who has been here all of two days decides that he cant survive having his manhood challenged by CC telling him not to sell something on his first post, or just thinks Sam Clemmons should have stuck with steamboats, and decides to whip out his E-penis, then to heck with him. If you cant take a little critisism from someone who has been around a lot longer than you, then you have a lot of growing up to do, and cigars are the least of your problems.
While there is no need to egg on a bad situation, the reason its a bad situation in the first place is usually the fault of some newb with a lack of repect.
[snapback]266531[/snapback]​

:laugh: C'mon now, I seldom if ever do that. :laugh: I do one of two things:
1. Wait for someone ELSE to tell him it's bad form to offer up COOBANS on his first posts and when he loses his mind THEN I jump ugly on him. :D
2. I tell him I want to BUY his cigars and ask him to PM me :laugh: OR I send him a PM. Either way I never hear from the guy :laugh:

Getting back to Dixie's original post, there is a HUGE difference between some jackass who signs up here and offering to sell fake Cuban cigars on his first post and some new guy innocently asking a question we've seen time and time again. Those guys (the first group) deserve all the "popcorn" comments you guys want to put in those threads. Dixie, I've been dealing with those guys for a heck of a lot longer than you have and NOT ONE of them has ever been legitimate, and I mean EVER so those scumbags deserve all the "popcorn" comments that can possibly be thrown at them.

Regarding other new guy type questions like "cello on or cello off" it's been my experience that almost all of the time they are told POLITELY how things are done around here.

You seem to be trying to put your finger on a problem that really doesn't exist. Over 90% of the time the "popcorn" and similar comments are made AFTER some two-week or two-month wonder has wised off and stepped on his dick so many times that people have had just about enough of his BS.