• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Understanding Don Pepin and Jose Padron

tsmckenney

Mick
Reaction score
When I first signed onto this community, I can recall reading a lot about the Pepin whores, the Tatuaje sluts. Everyone goes on and on about Padron. So last night I'm jonesin for a cigar, the weather's beautiful, and the wife is taking her laptop out onto the patio. I head for the coolidor. As I'm going through the collection, I'm consciously trying to pick a cigar that isn't Nicaraguan. Lately, it seems like that's all I want. The Hemingways and AF sun-growns are a good alternative, but I only have a few left.

What's a man to do? Aroma de Cuba...good, but nah. Virtuoso...used to love them, but smells cheap... Connie #9, months to go on those.... Graycliff 1999...I want more bite than that... Then there's all these mild sticks...again, no bite.

This is what my wife calls "playing with your cigars."

If I had a coolidor loaded with Padrons and Pepins, (and an assortment of Fuentes), I would never have to play with my cigars again. It got me thinking, if our govt were to find some reasons to stop trading with Nicaragua, would we play the same games to get the Pepins and Padrons that we play to get the Monte's and the Cohibas?

I think, undoubtedly, yes.

There is a Cuban tang, and there is a Nicaraguan bite (or whatever you prefer to call it).

So, I've come full circle. I understand the Pepin whores and the Tatuaje sluts. I'm both. It's a beautiful thing, and whenever I'm frustrated with the fact that I can't just buy a Party Short over the counter, I'll remember to be thankful that I can still get a Tat Noella over the counter.

Cheers...

No, Padron has a place in Honduras and has Honduran tobacco. Pepin might be up the creek!

Which Padron's have Honduran tobacco? All?

The answer is none.
What Smoky is saying is they could make Honduran cigars if they had to.

True Pepin would be in a world of hurt if he couldn't import his product's or materials (all Nicaraguan) into the U.S.

What brands are rolled at the Padrón Honduran factory?

Oh and edit... this thread reminded me of what I read in the European Cigar Cult Journal yesterday, let me find the article.

CONDEGA, NICARAGUA - Philip Wynne owner of renowned cigar brands such as Centenario, Felipe Gregorio, Felipe II and Petrus, has ceased production in Nicaragua due to his fear of political instability under the presidency of Daniel Ortega

Signs of things to come?

Nice read mc. I agree, I think that they would be as sought after as well. For me, even though they are perfectly legal, I search much harder for them than I do any ISOMs.

I still haven't gotten much experience with ISOMs, but I'll take a Tat or DPG any day over anything I've had from that island so far.

There is a Cuban tang, and there is a Nicaraguan bite (or whatever you prefer to call it).

So, I've come full circle. I understand the Pepin whores and the Tatuaje sluts. I'm both. It's a beautiful thing, and whenever I'm frustrated with the fact that I can't just buy a Party Short over the counter, I'll remember to be thankful that I can still get a Tat Noella over the counter.

Cheers...

Nice post, well put.

I call it the Nicaraguan Zing, but no matter what you call it, it matches perfectly with Pepin's blending skills!!

What brands are rolled at the Padrón Honduran factory?

Right now, it's just a box factory in Honduras. They used to roll some of their cigars there in years gone by, though.

As for the tobacco "zing" and what not, it depends on how the tobacco is grown/cured... as the taste difference between Tatuajes and Padrons makes clear, just the country the tobacco comes from doesn't mean much regarding the taste.