• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upgraded Humidor Protection

Turk10mm

Just smokin
Some of you may have seen my post about my new humidor, and the protection for my new humidor. If not, here's the pic of the previous version of the protection.

20080813_1067.jpg

Well, a few bucks, a few months waiting for BATFE approvals, and some wrench time and she's been upgraded. The downside, she's officially more expensive than the aristocrat humidor behind her. Ahh well, such is all things considered FUN.. The good news is that I have a complete Rock River Arms upper, so all I need to buy is another complete lower and presto, I have 2 AR's. One in stock and one wild.

Stats

Rock River Arms Lower - Registered on a form 1 with the BATFE as a Short Barreled Rifle.
LMT Upper w/ LMT 10.5" barrel
LMT Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - (this doesn't mean its full auto, just rated for it)
Daniel Defense 9.0 Free Float Rail
Some coyote furniture
Halo Holotech Reflex Sight
Troy Industries Back up folding front and rear iron sights
Surefire M3 Combatlight on a LaRue Quick Disconnect
Magpul Magazines along with 3k rounds
YHM 5.56 Suppressor on a fully approved ATF Form 4

Aint she a beaut? Totally tacticOOl! In all seriousness, its my pig gun, so its light, easy to shoot, small, and quiet enough to not need ear muffs.

The Loud Version
d2a4e4c9.jpg

The Quietish Version
81cb9be5.jpg

Here's the humidor she protects. And yes, I have a very big gun safe and I work from home. Oh, I never leave the house either.. EVER.. ;)

20080813_1063.jpg

Now that's just WAY too beautiful, now that's what I call security. I need one of those to keep those nasty rabid Deer and Bear out of my yard. :love:

I've got 3k rounds for it currently. I plan on picking up a thousand at a time when I find the good stuff at the right prices. Once I have 10k stacked deep I'll be good to go for a while, hopefully forever. My 308 has 1000 rounds, my 10mm has 2000, and my 40 has 1000. God help me if there's ever a fire.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'll never need it, but it has now become my weapon of choice for home defense (without the suppressor of course.) The 556 has less penetration through walls than buckshot, carries enough capacity to take on several threats, and now with the short barrel is way smaller than my pump shotty and only about 3 times the length of my 10mm. I'm looking to do some 3 gun competition shooting with it in the near future. I'm interested to see what kind of accuracy loss its taken with losing 5.5" of barrel. At the 100yd range it was still plugging 3" groups. With an unaccurized AR15, that's DAMN good, considering my 308 plugs .25" all day long at 100 and 5-6" at 600 yards.

I've been knocking around an SPR (special purpose rifle) AR10, in 308, selling my savage bolt action 308 and purchasing a 300 win mag or 338 lapua bolt action. I'm looking at doing some 1000yd+ shooting, and the 308 just can't hang at those ranges. The round goes subsonic at around 800ish and drastically loses its stability. You can probably hit dumpster at a 1000 pretty easy, but I wouldn't bet on much better than that without perfect conditions and luck.

Hmm... I'm going to add you to my 'don't break into that guys house' list.

I'm in love with everything I saw in those pictures. AR's = fun

Two things. Number one, that's pretty freaking cool... it's just bullshit you had to register all that stuff. Now you will be #1 on the list of people to take guns away from when the guv'ment decides it's time. Number two... I have been really wanting to get an AR-15 what company would you recommend also what caliber do you feel is the best for these bad-boys I know it comes in a variety. And third (i guess I had more to say than I thought), how much would you guess it takes to get into an entry level AR with some basic mods (light,red dot sights, maybe a scope).

Ery

haha, ya, my neighbors all know to come to my house or call me if the SHTF. They see me crate them out to the truck on an almost weekly basis. When I first moved in I got a bunch of weird looks, but several have gone to the range with me and now I'm the resident "gun expert." Even though I'm far from. I feel sorry for you fella's who can't have firearms like these, or in some cases, firearms at all. There's not much better way to blow off a bad day at the office than by goin to the range and shooting a few hundred rounds. Its also great excercise. I shoot in IDPA style pistol shoots, so my gun club has ranges set up where I can shoot on the move and shoot from a draw, etc.

If only ammo wasn't so damn expensive.

Two things. Number one, that's pretty freaking cool... it's just bullshit you had to register all that stuff. Now you will be #1 on the list of people to take guns away from when the guv'ment decides it's time. Number two... I have been really wanting to get an AR-15 what company would you recommend also what caliber do you feel is the best for these bad-boys I know it comes in a variety. And third (i guess I had more to say than I thought), how much would you guess it takes to get into an entry level AR with some basic mods (light,red dot sights, maybe a scope).

Ery

Ery, you are right on some levels, but the good thing is the ATF is so disorganized, they wouldn't know me from adam. My paperwork is exactly that, paper. I got one original back and they filed one original. They don't have any idea what's actually out there and I've even talked to an examiner who laughed at the idea of organizing it and then doing something about it. The other portion of that equation, I'd feel terribly bad for the family of anyone who was tasked with coming to my home and removing my firearms. Won't happen, I hate to be cliche, but I'd be tits up first.

Rock River Arms is probably your best bet. Its not entry level, but its not super bad to the ass high speed low drag gear. I bought my AR with the intention of upgrading it. A rock river arms AR out of the box is a damn fine weapon and I know guys who've gone into battle with them and not even blinked. The prices, however, have skyrocketed recently. If you hunt around you can find a nice RRA with a collapsible stock, 7" quad rail, 16" barrel for around $1200. Some say you should build it yourself from parts, and you can do this for around 800, from what I've been told. But if you find a decent deal on a rifle and parts, you can set one up for somewhere in the range of 1500-1600 pretty easy. You can actually do it cheaper, but you'd be forced to stick on made-in-china sights, lights, etc.

If you know you will NEVER need to depend on it with your life, and if something breaks and you can just go get it fixed, etc, you can spend a shade over 1k by buying a bargain priced brand, but I wouldn't suggest this. Spend the extra couple hundy, one day you may need it.

Top down order of firearms makers IMHO.. Colt, Noveske, LMT, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, Bushmaster. The first 3 are in the same league. RRA is between the 3 above and the 2 below. The last two are by no means poor quality or bargain rifles. I just would never buy anything lower than a bushy. There's makers like CMMG and a couple others that fall in the middle with RRA. I'd check out AR15 dot com.

To give you an idea, my RRA was 1600 with the holosight and front grip as the only mods. The holosight ain't cheap, 400ish. The light, you can spend whatever your wallet desires. The M3 light I have is upper mid tier. You can spend 40 bucks on a light that will do the job. Mine was 250ish. There are $500 lights out there. The LMT upper I bought as an addon, complete with bolt carrier group was a shade under 600. The new daniel defense quad rail was a shade under 300. But mind you these are top of the line parts. You could buy mid level parts for half that. So had I built my current rifle from scratch, the gun alone would be around 1600. But I'm gonna end up getting 2 rifles out of 1, which was the idea originally.

I'm probably not making much sense. Honestly, if i was spending your money, I'd buy a rock river arms Entry Tactical with the $120 quad rail upgrade. http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseact...category_id=217

Then buy an eotech holosight or an aimpoint (both red dot reflex sights of different styles), depending on what your preference is. In your average AR, you don't need a scope, in my opinion. Its accuracy past 200 yards is what I like to call Man of Angle. You can hit a man, but don't think you'll be punching Washington's head out of a quarter without spending big bucks. I'd go with a lower mid level light that uses CR123 batteries (expensive batteries, but BRIGHT LIGHTS in small packages).. the light i bought is insanely bright, actually brighter than my 3 million candle power rechargeable walmart special spotlight. And its smaller than a banana. For home defense, this bright a light is actually too bright. It'll wash out on the white walls in your home. But at the ranch its ideal.

i could go one and on. I'd visit ar15 dot com and get others opinions.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you.

Edited to add. I just tally'd up what my complete rifle cost, roughly. I figure including suppressor, all the aftermarket parts, and two ATF tax stamps, 3600, not including the stock upper receiver. However, the only thing I need to complete a second rifle is a $500 lower. So for 4100 bucks I'd have a stock RRA AR15 and a blinged out hybrid with all the high end parts.

Very nice setup you have there. Where's the 10mm?

Here's one of my 10mm's.

IMG_2074.JPG

I do believe he is talking about a Glock 10mm, and not an AR chambered in 10mm.

Turk, I don't know what prices have done there. But there is no way you can buy a RRA Entry Tactical for $1200 around here anymore. From just about anywhere around here right now you are looking at about $1500. Some recent events (people don't start a politics debate out of this) have skyrocketed prices. I purchased mine at $800 last year, and just sold it for just under $1300. But it had seen a LOT of rounds through it, and was about to need a new barrel. But a RRA Entry Tactical in the right hands can shoot 1/2" out of the box at 100 yards. Very good starter AR. Also Turk, if you decide to buy a Lower to go with that upper you have, be sure that you know how to fit them properly. If you don't really know what you are doing then get a gunsmith. Otherwise the rifle won't shoot very well. No point in spending the money to only do the job halfway.

You talk of getting a 300 WM or a 338 Lapua for 1000+yards. Your on the right track for caliber, but what brand of rifle are you looking at getting, what optics, loading equipment, and what work are you going to do to the rifle?
B

Yikes, I bet that sucker costs a pretty penny to shoot. Nice rig! I'd put a 7.5" barrel and a suppressor on that bad boy. And then I'd get a loan for more 10mm ammo. :)

I don't have any decent shots of my Glock 20, and its in the room where the Mrs. is sleeping, so I'll have to get one tomorrow.

You talk of getting a 300 WM or a 338 Lapua for 1000+yards. Your on the right track for caliber, but what brand of rifle are you looking at getting, what optics, loading equipment, and what work are you going to do to the rifle?
B

I'll probably get a custom built GAP rifle. I currently have a Nightforce 3.5x15 on my 308, which should handle 1000 yards. I haven't even gotten to loading equipment yet. I'll have to if I go to the 338. If I go the 338 route it'll be a Surgeon XL action, coupled with a brake to soften the beating. http://www.gaprecision.net/rock.html

Yikes, I bet that sucker costs a pretty penny to shoot. Nice rig! I'd put a 7.5" barrel and a suppressor on that bad boy. And then I'd get a loan for more 10mm ammo. :)

I don't have any decent shots of my Glock 20, and its in the room where the Mrs. is sleeping, so I'll have to get one tomorrow.

I would love to have a 7.5" barrel and a suppressed 10mm, but I'm in CA and that isn't going to happen here. When I move back to free American I will be getting some fun toys.

B

I'll probably get a custom built GAP rifle. I currently have a Nightforce 3.5x15 on my 308, which should handle 1000 yards. I haven't even gotten to loading equipment yet. I'll have to if I go to the 338. If I go the 338 route it'll be a Surgeon XL action, coupled with a brake to soften the beating. http://www.gaprecision.net/rock.html

Reguardless of what caliber you go with, shooting that kind of range you need to load your own rounds. With the best equipment you can buy. I personally would suggest a Schmidt and Bender scope.
B

Also, I don't see where it says that they true the action? You may want to check with them about that.
B

haha, ya, my neighbors all know to come to my house or call me if the SHTF. They see me crate them out to the truck on an almost weekly basis. When I first moved in I got a bunch of weird looks, but several have gone to the range with me and now I'm the resident "gun expert." Even though I'm far from. I feel sorry for you fella's who can't have firearms like these, or in some cases, firearms at all. There's not much better way to blow off a bad day at the office than by goin to the range and shooting a few hundred rounds. Its also great excercise. I shoot in IDPA style pistol shoots, so my gun club has ranges set up where I can shoot on the move and shoot from a draw, etc.

If only ammo wasn't so damn expensive.

Reload :D The only way to go.