• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vega Talanga Toro

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Vega Talanga Toro

What a strange cigar. I don’t recall where it came from, but I was cleaning out my humidor and came upon this guy. The cellophane was very yellow and it split and began to unravel when I removed it.

opus430.jpg

opus434.jpg

opus431.jpg

opus433.jpg

This cigar has some of the strangest construction that I’ve seen. A pronounced pigtail cap and a closed shaggy foot standout distinctly from any other cigar I’ve had the opportunity to smoke. I did some research on how these are packaged and the only thing I could come up with is a picture of this.

Vega_Talanga.jpg

It’s supposedly packaged in tercio bark from Royal Palm trees and comes wrapped in bundles, not boxed like most cigars. I wish I could say that this unusual packing added anything to the cigar but it didn’t.

The cigar is presented in a rustic manner and it smokes in a very rustic manner, which is to say that it was not very complex and somewhat one dimensional with a few bitter moments that left a raw feeling on the roof of my mouth. There were some nice moments of vanilla early into the smoke and even a little nutty taste like almonds towards the middle. But the bad, bitter moments out weighed the good ones. The cigar seemed to burn hot and the smoke was often harsh and bitter because of this.

opus435.jpg

I found this to be an interesting cigar, but the overall smoking experience was underwhelming for me, even when you consider that this is a value cigar. There are far better cigars available for $2-$3 a stick and I would avoid this one if possible.

Nice pics and review Mark.

Ps. Cuban Crafters have the same pig tail and closed foot

Awwwwwww maaan. This was one cigar I hoped to try when I first became interested in cigars at 17. CA wrote a nice review on it and gave it an 88 I believe. The rating and price made me want to really try it out back then :laugh:

I remember being given one of these sticks ages ago, and passing it on to someone who would "appreciate" it more than I. I think these are made by Astral.

p.s. -

Yep, they are:

Linky

and, good call Michal...I remember thinking that these sticks have a very "Don Kiki" manner about them.

Oh boy, do those pictures bring back some BAD memories.....

I smoked one of those a while back and I remember that it was one of the worst cigars I've ever smoked.

You summed it up perfectly here:

There are far better cigars available for $2-$3 a stick and I would avoid this one if possible.

I agree 100%.