• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ventilation System for a House

KevinWHoecker

Alright, I know that some of you have thought of a genius idea for sucking cigar smoke out of the air in your house. I have some unused room in the lower level of my house and I was thinking about building a smoking room. I need to make sure that all the smoke is sucked out of the room in the most quiet and effective way possible. I have an 18 month old baby girl that I don't want to even smell the smoke and my wife would kill me for the insurance money if she found out that some of the smoke creeped onto the 1st floor of the house. Anyone have any ideas? I have access to two windows and a sliding glass door in the area I am thinking about.

Ever see those bathroom vents. Just a fan in the wall that sucks out all the smokey air. This way even in the winter you use it.

i have also thought of this for when i buy my house. i was gonna do it outside though. what i suggest is to number 1 completely seal the room off. concentrate on THAT first. THEN do the exhaust system. what i would suggest is if you build essentially a big box. insulate it between the house and the "box"/room and make it airtight. then, run dryer hose from a well insulated/caulked hole in the top of the room/box with an exhaust fan in it to the outside.

look into saunas and their construction. that might help. good luck and have fun!

You could also do a fresh air exchanger and an in duct ozone generator.

Seamus said:
You could also do a fresh air exchanger and an in duct ozone generator.
[snapback]215244[/snapback]​

Great feedback from everyone so far. Thank you very much.

I just Googled the ozone generator. I am hesitant to send something like that throughout the whole house. Sounds extremely powerful and effective though. I would like to contain it to the lower level if possible. What do you mean by a fresh air exchanger? Is that something that I would see in a bar hanging from the ceiling?

I could install bathroom fans in a very well sealed room, but the noise would be outrageous. I bet they make quieter versions of the fans however. I just want to make sure I can hear Cigar Dave over the fan noise!

Our second bedroom has been deamed as my "gun/smoking" room. I installed two of those fart fans(bathroom exhaust fans) in the ceiling at opposite ends of the room. Shop around...they do make quiet ones. Mine are the ones with the large blades that turn kinda slow....not the little turbo ones you see in MOST bathrooms that will make your teeth rattle. With both of mine running full tilt, its still quiet enough to hear me typing on the keyboard and not uncomfortable at all to hold a low tone conversation. As long as i keep them running while smoking, and for about 30 mins or so after im done, VERY little evidence of me ever smoking exists. I tried one of those Ionic Breeze things and it didnt work for squat...maybe if i had a few of them, but at a couple hundred dollars a pop, that could get expensive FAST. I also make sure to febreeze the entire room once a week and use some carpet fresh stuff at the same time. This is also our guest room and ive never had a single complaint about the smell of cigar smoke from anyone thats stayed in it.

If it's going to be a large space you don't want to install exhaust fans. I see you live in Chicago and in the winter all the hot air in that room will be exhausted by the fans. It's not like a shower and you're running it for 10min. A fresh air exchanger bring in a set amount of fresh air, say 20%, and mixes it with air from the house.

Also life of the ozone generated will not be long enough to escape the duct work. That's a concern for floor models but not induct models.

You could also get a floor model and run it for a few hours after you are done smoking. They work very well and if you run it a few hours and are not in the room the amount of ozone would never be a issue again due to the life of the ozone generated.

im telling ya man, you gotta build a room(box) within that room. seal it off and ventilate it to the outside. its the easiest no hassle way of being ASSURED you will NEVER get any smoke in the house.

no room outside like for a shed or something?

you should get a hold of boxdoctor over on CW boards. He is from chicago and has an awesome ventilation system in his smoking room. Im sure he could point you in the right direction..

My vote is for the outdoor shed...that's what Im doing. Of course, the shed was there when we baught the house!

I am thinking that I need to do a blend of all of your responses. I wish I could pull off the outdoor shed idea, but I would have to build a border line guest house in order for it to hold heat in the winter. Chicago winters are really bad! That would be too expensive.

I think I will build a "sealed" space that uses the in-duct air exchange. I am nervous about the price of the "sealed" space however. I can also use the freebreeze and carpet clean every once and a while. The ozone systems are really interesting. I just had a conversation with a salesman of them and they are guaranteeing that there will be no harmful substances will escape its presence. I think that will please the wife. Not cheap though.

My biggest problem is that the current space I am looking at is directly below the great room which is where the wife and baby hang out most.

Awesome responses. Thanks again.

You mentioned carpet cleaner, do you plan on having your smoking room carpeted? That's a huge problem in itself. No matter what kind of air cleaner you get, the carpet, and the pad will suck up all of the smoke odor. And cleaner does not clean the pad. You'll want to put some kind of wood or laminate floor down. Or both, one of those engineered hardwood floors. And get an exterior grade door for the entrance to this room. That way you'll know it'll have a good weather seal.

ive designed a few homes with media rooms and the "newest" thing is sound board. its like thin fiberglass, paintable panels. they are used to bounce sound around in media rooms and not let the sheetrock soak up the sound. i bet they would work the same way with smoke. i think without something like that, youre still gonna have a "sponge" effect even with a ventalition system. kind of on the same lines..i agree with gonz. i would definaty do a hard floor surface.

hmm, i live in MN which is pretty darn similar to Chi. All I plan on doing is putting a little portable heat out there. The shack is small enough, I will still have to bundle up, but it will keep me out of the wind, and warm enough to enjoy a smoke. I plan on putting a dirty old recliner in there to. Maybe develop a system to "preheat" the place!!!

And you guys can expect a thread from me come...Feb about my smoke shack burning down.

mhortsch said:
hmm, i live in MN which is pretty darn similar to Chi. All I plan on doing is putting a little portable heat out there. The shack is small enough, I will still have to bundle up, but it will keep me out of the wind, and warm enough to enjoy a smoke. I plan on putting a dirty old recliner in there to. Maybe develop a system to "preheat" the place!!!

And you guys can expect a thread from me come...Feb about my smoke shack burning down.
[snapback]215323[/snapback]​

You can smoke your smoke shack. Maybe the Fuente family will give you enough wrapper leaf to smoke it. I bet it would be stronger than a Joya de Nic Antano.

I want to do it right, meaning be able to just run downstairs without a coat or shoes and enjoy a cigar.

Hardwood is the gameplan for the floors. Just got it priced out (over the phone, so it is an estimate). More expensive than carpet, but it should serve better. Gunstock is the color. I am still working on the sealing of the room. Not sure how to do it, I will leave that up to a contractor.

The paintable panels would probably kill the overall acesetics (eeekkk spelling) of the room. Wood pannelling is always an alternative. Man, this is getting expensive.

Budget may be an option but raised hardwood panels in a smoking room is a classic look or raised panel half way up with a chair rail and a nice green or red for the walls and some hardwood crown. You could also do wainscoting.