• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very strong cedar aroma

tolije

I have a box of 10 - Ashton VSG robustos and did not enjoy the first 2 that I have smoked due to a very strong unexplainable taste. I noticed when I removed them, that the box had a very strong aromatic cedar smell (American Cedar). It didn't have the normal aroma of a box from ISOM. Is this normal for VSGs? Have I been shafted by my local B&M? I left 2 out to sit in the Spanish cedar tray in my coolidor for a week and when I smoked the last one a couple of days ago, it tasted considerably better than the first 2. The box that I purchased was sealed in plastic and I had to cut the Ashton band on the box to open it. Is the box fo these cigars lined with something other than Spanish cedar? Has anyone else noticed the taste disparity in any of the VSGs that I have?

Hmm....my experience with the VSG is pretty limited, but I've had the robusto and not tasted what you're referring to.

The thing is though, that I didn't get a full box of them, they were gifted, so this probably doesn't relate.

But it sounds to me like they could be deadly poisonous. My recommendation would be to wrap them up and ship to me for proper disposal. :laugh:

all boxes are made of spanish cedar, not the aromatic cedar you describe. i do not owna box of VSG's, but been arounf them at my local shop and the box is spanish cedar and smells of that not the red cedar you describe.

I have never seen nor have I heard about VSG boxes of 10. As far as I know they only come in boxes of 24. Where did you acquire this box of 10? I doubt it came from the factory.

Doc.

I have never seen nor have I heard about VSG boxes of 10. As far as I know they only come in boxes of 24. Where did you acquire this box of 10? I doubt it came from the factory.

Doc.

I don't know about boxes of 10, but years ago I used to pick up little "gift boxes" of, from what I recall, 4 or 5 sticks of these. Different sizes, etc. Kind of a sampler box, slide top, cedar. Spanish cedar though. Lol. I have never heard of this type of problem with Ashton VSG's actually (nor any other legit cigar for that matter).

No mention of a 10 pack box on the Ashton site.

What did you B&M vendor say when you asked them?

I sent Ashton an email, we'll see if they respond.

Doc.

I've heard of them in the Asian Market.

They were made for the asian market but did not sell well. They were sitting around in a warehouse somewhere for a few years before being released last year. Same stick but a little more age. Some were pretty wet and needed to be dried a little. Some even say they are round.

We get 10 count boxes from time to time(usually at christmas). The cigars in those boxes are usually quite a bit darker than the 24ct. The thing you might be experiencing is probably from where the sap has gotten in to the box!

We get 10 count boxes from time to time(usually at christmas). The cigars in those boxes are usually quite a bit darker than the 24ct. The thing you might be experiencing is probably from where the sap has gotten in to the box!
I've got a box of 10 that is now 9 ... I absolutely love them! :thumbs: Mine was from my local B&M. I haven't had any issue with the box and have them sitting in the box still. If Smoky is right, you might want to check the box and see if there appears to be any issues. But hell ... if it seems like you notice them smoking better after they sit out of the box, then move them all. However, if it was an aroma that was transfered to the cigars from the box, I doubt that letting the cigars sit for a week will change any aroma transfer; the cigars have probably been sitting in that box for months. Just my thoughts...

Thanks for all the responses.

The cedar smell is quite a bit stronger in this box than any any other box of cigars that I have. Maybe the difference that I noticed in taste after sitting out was just my mind playing tricks on me since I did not take it from the box right before smoking it. Maybe I am just starting to aquire a taste for these.

The cedar can weep if the box has been cycled (hot/cold humid/dry). As someone else said the sap may have migrated into your cigars.

I sent these to Blue Dragon. He initially said that he noticed the same strong smell that I did. Just waiting for his review of the cigars. They will rest for about a week and we should have the verdict.

As others have stated I also received a 5 count in a box but based on recommendations I immediately took them out and stored them in my otter box. They will have to stay there a bit before I they will be ready. But I will let you know. :cool:

Puffstuff has a box (10) in his shop now, and they are in the round.
I read somewhere late last year that they were being brouught here as they were not selling in the Asian market. I'll ask Al to post something about these tomorrow if he doesn't tonight.

edited for spelling

I haven't heard of the Spanish cedar weeping sap, but I do know that regular cedar will weep with thermal cycling, maybe when the cedar was aged, some of the sap remained, and you're tasting it in the cigar. The cedar sap will give a bitter flavor if too much is present when burnt. As you can tell, most boxes do not have a cedar sap problem. JMHO, good luck.

I sent these to Blue Dragon. He initially said that he noticed the same strong smell that I did. Just waiting for his review of the cigars. They will rest for about a week and we should have the verdict.
I'll try to get a review done this week. But I didn't want you to have to wait any longer. I just got back in town after a long two week hiatus.

0103 8555 7498 1926 5314

Enjoy!
- C

I'll try to get a review done this week. But I didn't want you to have to wait any longer. I just got back in town after a long two week hiatus.

0103 8555 7498 1926 5314

Enjoy!
- C

The sticks arrived today in good shape.

I haven't heard of the Spanish cedar weeping sap, but I do know that regular cedar will weep with thermal cycling, maybe when the cedar was aged, some of the sap remained, and you're tasting it in the cigar. The cedar sap will give a bitter flavor if too much is present when burnt. As you can tell, most boxes do not have a cedar sap problem. JMHO, good luck.
First Impression: When I opened the box the first time I could smell an overwhelming cedar smell. I was rather suprised, so I grabbed my box of 10 (now 4) and there was only a smell of good tobacco.

Appearance: firmly wrapped, beautiful wrapper, wrapper slightly lighter than I expected and lighter than many other VSGs I have smoked. smelled of tobacco, cognac, and hints of cedar. Tasted like a VSG, but had a faint hint of sweetness and a lingering sensation on the palate.

Pre-light draw: very nice. Not tight at all. I can taste/smell the VSG better now. Lights well, except for my lighter is running out of fuel.

Flavor: The cigar seems to have a bitter overtone to it. The cigar out of the box still smells of cedar when held to my nose. As I smoke it I can taste some of the traditional tobacco and congac subtleties in the cigar, but there is a distinct bitter aftertaste. It is sort of numbing on the inside of my lips and top of my palate. It reminds me a little of when I first started using my smoker and produced a bitter, benzine like taste that numbed the palate. As I progressed into the cigar the initial cedar smell faded but the bitter numbness continued. I feel compelled to try the cigar to the end, but am getting extremely discouraged. I don't hate the cigar, but if this was my first experience with a VSG I would never pick one up again.

It made me wonder if maybe my palate had changed and that I could possibly not care for the VSGs anymore, but this has never been my experience previously. I smoked a VSG robusto on the road last week and it was great. I definitely think these are off. It very well could be the box they are stored in. One thing I noticed is that in my box, it has a paper liner on the inside which your box seems to be lacking. I don't think this would be the cause since the entire box smells really strongly of cedar. I would recommend you giving them a second shot, maybe picking up a single at a B&M that didn't have that smell to get a better idea of what they can taste like.

I give this cigar a 4.5 / 10. I'm pretty suprised with it. Maybe I'll send them back to Ashton and see if they will replace them. I wouldn't say they are worth taking what little time I enjoy smoking to waste on these again. Take solace that your intuition was right. :)

No mention of a 10 pack box on the Ashton site.

What did you B&M vendor say when you asked them?

I sent Ashton an email, we'll see if they respond.

Your correct the Ashton that come in a box of 10 are from the Asian Market and by the way are very, very good. They are aged for about 4-5 years. I own four boxes of VSG and none of them have that smell you describe. I once had that problem with a box of H. Up Vintage Cameroon and i had to chuck the entire box b/c of the cedary smell. It even affected the taste of the cigar.