• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Viaje Platino Chiva Review Pre Release

MindRiot

First off let me start by saying I have not done this in FOREVER so stay with me on this review.

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 99
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Size: 5 x 52 (Chva is the name given to this cigar size)

First Impression/Appearance: A Beautifully rolled Vitola jammed packed full of tobacco finished with a triple cap. A wonderful oily wrapper that had no flaws!!!

foot.jpg

foot2.jpg

Pre light notes: A strong rustic leather smell with a note of pepper on the pre light draw that included a flavor I couldn't put a finger on. Well aged tobacco with no fresh taste or smell.

Construction: 1 word FLAWLESS, the wrapper has no blemishes or patches and is smooth as glass. Firm yet a little spring to the touch (perfect) the triple cap was a great touch.

Taste: On intial light the Corojo Wrapper popped with pepper and leather notes on the tip of the tongue, after the first inch the true flavor settled in and wow I am in for a treat. The spice was followed by a great aged wrapper flavor that melded into a full rich and very complex flavor profile. This is truly unlike any Nicaraguan puro I have smoked, no offense to the other puros out there but so many are following the trend of Pepin or Illusione. This cigar is a welcomed change, the flavors are truly unique and do not mimic any other Nicaraguan Puro I have ever tasted.

firstinch.jpg

I am not one to describe flavor or appearance very well but I can say I will personally be buying a ton of these cigars to smoke and age. The burn was razor sharp from start to finish, this Full flavored cigar only got better while smoking with a slow change in flavors and strength. I can say enough how much I enjoyed this cigar, it is not very often I pick up the phone and call the owner to tell them how much I love a cigar. This is exactly what I did after smoking this cigar, the only bad part about the cigar is I smoked the last one I had.

This cigar will only be available to Viaje Preferred accounts and comes in 5 sizes:
Fino: 5 3/4 x 44
Chiva: 5 x 52
Sueno: 6 x 54
Belicoso: 6 x 52
Jefe: 7 x 50

I can't wait to get my hands on the other sizes. I am so impressed with this cigar I will be offering a pre sale when the cigars get closer to shipping. Just pm me for info. I am including some more pictures below of the cigar. Highly Recommend!!!!

I think these are due out in late August or Sept.
halfway.jpg

last3rd.jpg

Nice! Well done! You've got my attention. 6 days to pay day, and a sampler !

I have some Viajae Delicados sitting in my humidor waiting to be smoked. I have yet to try anything from that brand, and kept forgetting I had some.

Now I wanna light one up.

Pre light notes: A strong rustic leather smell with a note of pepper on the pre light draw that included a flavor I couldn't put a finger on. Well aged tobacco with no fresh taste or smell.

Taste: On intial light the Corojo Wrapper popped with pepper and leather notes on the tip of the tongue, after the first inch the true flavor settled in and wow I am in for a treat. The spice was followed by a great aged wrapper flavor that melded into a full rich and very complex flavor profile. This is truly unlike any Nicaraguan puro I have smoked, no offense to the other puros out there but so many are following the trend of Pepin or Illusione. This cigar is a welcomed change, the flavors are truly unique and do not mimic any other Nicaraguan Puro I have ever tasted.

This cigar will only be available to Viaje Preferred accounts and comes in 5 sizes:

I can't wait to get my hands on the other sizes. I am so impressed with this cigar I will be offering a pre sale when the cigars get closer to shipping. Just pm me for info.
Ditto that.

Call me cynical but nowadays, I'm willing to try almost anything new as long it's "non-Pepin," no offense to the Don.

Wilkey

I can't wait to get my hands on the other sizes. I am so impressed with this cigar I will be offering a pre sale when the cigars get closer to shipping. Just pm me for info.
Ditto that.

Call me cynical but nowadays, I'm willing to try almost anything new as long it's "non-Pepin," no offense to the Don.

Wilkey

He has the talent, but is getting overtaxed by taking on too many clients at once imo. That and his attempts to recreate Cuban Cigars without having access to the Cuban Tobacco... something about that annoys me for some reason.

Kev,
Great pics and great review. I got a Viaje at the show and I'm looking forward to smoking it.

He has the talent, but is getting overtaxed by taking on too many clients at once imo. That and his attempts to recreate Cuban Cigars without having access to the Cuban Tobacco... something about that annoys me for some reason.
I definitely believe that there is a growing impression that the ability of manufacturers to produce his blends is being taxed, if not his blending capability.

I think that some of his premier blends certainly stand on their own. Whether or not they taste like any given particular Cuban cigar (or as some might opine to Moki's chagrin, Cubans in general) is debatable but no longer an issue, at least for me. I used to get bent about the aping/homage in their use of aspects of Cuban packaging and trade dress, but that has become so ubiquitous as to no longer have any meaning (if in fact it did to begin with.) Stick a Spanish word or spelling in your ad copy, the cigar name, or call it "Cuban" this that or the other.

Perhaps I've become a bit of a curmudgeon. Still, the eternal optimist that I am, I'll try 'em at least once.

Wilkey

You are right of course, regarding the usage of 'Cuban Seed' 'Cuban Style' and Cuban sounding Spanish words, as well as Cuban-Style artwork has been flooding the market since the Embargo.

I think it was the Cabaiguan cigar concept that got me slightly annoyed. Rather than trying to give people a 'Cuban Experience' like that cigar claims to be, why not just focus on making quality blends that showcase the tobacco you have access to, like Padron etc? Granted, in Moki's evil blind taste test, people were labeling it as Cuban, but they were also labeling so many other's as Cuban too, so that sort of canceled that out.

I may be slightly delirious, but all soil imparts a signature on the tobacco for me. If I hot-box I can usually tell if something is Dominican because it has a slightly coppery overtone, Cuban if it has a slight Straw/Grass overtone, Nicaraguan if it has that famous slightly stale-pepper overtone etc. I guess what I am saying is that for nut jobs like me, it is a wasted attempt trying to recreate something without the key ingredient (proper soil in this case). So then I start to think that they are pulling the wool over our eyes in letting us believe we are tasting Cuba with a Cabaiguan.

Then again, not everyone is so fussy. Call it a pet peeve of mine.

Edit: Of course there are exceptions to the rule, such as the smooth Davidoff Gran Cru profile and the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No2 from Cuba etc, but that is exception rather than the rule. Usually the soil is an unmistakable part of the backbone of any cigar, you just have to look for it.

I dislike retailers who over hype, and use deception.
Some blenders, I'm sure, do go for a cuban feel, or style. To me, that is 100% legit.
To claim cuban heritage of any form, with no true intentions of it being so, is deception.
Pepins cigars gave me what I wanted, a certain flavor experience that was the closest to a fresh cuban as I have ever had. So for me, I'm quite happy with them.

As new blends come out, we are seeing Pepin clones. Not neccessarily good or bad, but redundant.
What excites me about this new cigar is that Kevin seems to feel that it has it's own character, and that it is delicious, made well, and is affordable. Not just a new cigar for the sake of a new cigar.

I didn't mean to start a bash thread, I was only commenting that it seems to me that most Nicaraguan cigars are going for the Pepin, Tatuaje, Illusione flavor and so many to me are starting to taste the same (with minor differences). I thought the Tempus was a good smoke but to me it tasted like a Illusione with a more pronounced finish. I welcome the new Viaje because unlike so many other new cigars that have jumped on the Nicaraguan Puro band wagon this does not even have a hint of that flavor profile. I also think the J. Fuego cigars do a great job of having Nicaraguan puros but not following the growing trend of copying other brands.

I love most cigars but once everyone starts making similar tasting cigars the market and smokes become very boring in my opinion.

I didn't mean to start a bash thread, I was only commenting that it seems to me that most Nicaraguan cigars are going for the Pepin, Tatuaje, Illusione flavor and so many to me are starting to taste the same (with minor differences). I thought the Tempus was a good smoke but to me it tasted like a Illusione with a more pronounced finish. I welcome the new Viaje because unlike so many other new cigars that have jumped on the Nicaraguan Puro band wagon this does not even have a hint of that flavor profile. I also think the J. Fuego cigars do a great job of having Nicaraguan puros but not following the growing trend of copying other brands.

I love most cigars but once everyone starts making similar tasting cigars the market and smokes become very boring in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more mate, absolutely.

I'm sorry if it looked as through I was 'beating on' Pepin's work, because some of his stuff is great. I am with your view that the market will become uninteresting if everyone starts copying successful blends, as it serves to both undermine the original winning formula, as well flood the market (to quote Mad Monk) with redundant sticks.

Cigars are fantastic in their variety of look, shape, presentation and most importantly flavour. I do acknowledge that in a profit driven industry successful blends will be emulated to ensure enough people will purchase your new product, but at least put your own 'spin' on the flavour so we don't start seeing a sterilization of the wonderful variety we have access too at the present. I personally think that in order to really make a successful cigar, you have to keep the basics solid, and go for broke with the blend experimentation. You never know when you might accidentally strike gold. Think of cigars like the Liga Privada No9 for example.

I am sure this rant has some sort of purpose...

I didn't mean to start a bash thread, I was only commenting that it seems to me that most Nicaraguan cigars are going for the Pepin, Tatuaje, Illusione flavor and so many to me are starting to taste the same (with minor differences)...I welcome the new Viaje because unlike so many other new cigars that have jumped on the Nicaraguan Puro band wagon this does not even have a hint of that flavor profile.

Couldn't agree more mate, absolutely.

I'm sorry if it looked as through I was 'beating on' Pepin's work, because some of his stuff is great. I am with your view that the market will become uninteresting if everyone starts copying successful blends, as it serves to both undermine the original winning formula, as well flood the market (to quote Mad Monk) with redundant sticks.

I am sure this rant has some sort of purpose...
No bashing here. Plenty of well considered, thoughtful discussion that's topical. This is the best of what's found here at CigarPass.

I fully agree with you guys. And it is exactly this redundancy that leads to palate boredom that I find so disappointing. Spending $8 to find a cigar that tastes just like this $4 cigar and that $12 cigar is just frustrating and pointless.

Give me something different, well-made, and consistent and I guarantee I'll find a place for it.

Wilkey

Great review. Ive smoked the Oro line, but haven't had a chance to try one of these. Guess ill be picking up a few when they come in.