• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Views from a Soldier in Iraq

Allofus123

Here ducky, ducky, ducky!
I know this has nothing to do with cigars but I think some of you may find this as facinating as I did. Some of yall know that I usually do a Cross Country goose hunt during the spring with a bunch of buddies from a hunting BB I participate on. One of those guys is in the Air Force and happens to be in Iraq right now. He will post on the BB from time to time to let us know he's ok. A couple of days ago we asked him if he could give us an inside report of how it was going over there, how his buddies were doing, and if we could send him anything. Here was his reply:

From the front row.

What I hear from my close compatriots up there is that 80-90% of the people want us there. There is an element that does not, and nobody is surprised at that. Some hate it because of religious reasons. Many hate it because we undid the corrupt and broken institutions that gave them power and wealth. Far to many hate it because of ignorance. Newfound freedoms will work to take care of that. There are a lot of insurgent elements that have come from outside Iraq just bacause that's the best place to try to kill Americans and not have it look like a pure terrorist incident. Easy to camouflage it as an attack by "Iraqi citizens". Many Iraqis are reluctant to wave US flags and show support because the same terrorists will start to target them also.

The infrastructure in the country is growing like mad and their economy is starting to grow. Revenue sources (for Iraq, #1 is their oil resource) are beginning to work, which will improve the lot of the whole country. As all that continues to move forward, the impetus for instability will decrease...people will have a future and will be less inclined to work against progress as well as more inclined to work against destabilizing factions.

If anyone thinks we can fix Iraq by just backing out, they are just stupid. We'd only be giving the country back to the elements that use violence to rule. The people we shoot at are doing the shooting first. We are losing damn good US soldiers every day, but the bad guys are losing a whole lot more. We sometimes kill the wrong people on accident...on the other side, they don't care who they kill and it's not a good way to keep support.

It doesn't need to be a US effort though, yet the UN isn't so helpful is getting more assistance there. (OK, they're completely useless.) Not that it would necessarily help...look how well they've done in Kosovo.

This is a long term issue and what we've done so far is the right thing. Iraq's world-friendly neighbors (i..e., not those who like terrorists) don't say so out loud, but they are glad we've removed the Saddam threat.

By the way, we are watching the Spanish leave and they are not happy about it. Not too pleased with their new government.

Our attitude is great. We know what we're doing despite the BS we see on TV and in the papers. Kerry's rhetoric makes us barf...he demonstrates his ignorance on this subject far too often. (That's not intended to be an anti-Kerry barb, for you Dems out there...it's just a comparison of what we live with what he says.) The prison incident is an aberration. Some people are in some serious sh*t about that one.

A box. Hmmm. It'll never get here in time for my crew, but I can PM ya the address for the unit. My home town VFW sent a big box to me and I spread that wealth out through the unit. I cannot put the address out in the forum due to security issues. We even shred labels off our mail just because we don't want Tommy Terrorist mailing some bad stuff home to our families, etc....or visiting.

I'll take my buddy Mich's word over mainstream media anyday. I know there are thousands of guys just like Mich who are paying the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. Please don't forget them and know that they are doing whats right.

Gods speed my friend! :thumbs:

Thanks soooo much for posting this. I think it is something that a lot of Americans need to see. It's comforting to know that these soldiers believe in what they are doing, and that the media isn't the end-all final word on this issue.
Please give him a heart felt thank you from me.
John V.

Yep,

This is typical of many stories I've heard that are vastly different from what we see in the press.

Ya gotta understand, the press is in the business of SELLING NEWSPAPERS and MAKING PEOPLE WATCH THIER NEWS PROGRAMS.

It is far more "sexy" to report the "sensationalist" crap than to report the boring facts. The more papers they sell and the higher their news program ratings, the more money they make. It's really pretty simple.

I find the same thing in the political world, a candidate can issue press releases about his proposals but the media ignores them because "who cares?" BUT, if there is the slightest hint of scandal OH BOY, story after story after story, etc.

And, ya can't really blame the press, ya gotta blame the PEOPLE for being more intersted in burned bodies hanging from a bridge or some State Rep. being accused of sexually assaulting a minor than what the long range outlook is for rebuilding the beautiful land of Iraq with its historical significance, etc. or in the case of the politician, what their legislative priorities are.

I very much enjoyed the post Kenny :thumbs: I think everyone can learn more from that post that anything we've seen in the media for the last six months.

I know several guys over there and that's exactly the same opinion they tell me. They are in harms way and the media gives them no support. What happened to the media that used to support our guys like in WW II? I feel those days are long gone.

coventrycat86 said:
Yep,

This is typical of many stories I've heard that are vastly different from what we see in the press.

Ya gotta understand, the press is in the business of SELLING NEWSPAPERS and MAKING PEOPLE WATCH THIER NEWS PROGRAMS.

It is far more "sexy" to report the "sensationalist" crap than to report the boring facts. The more papers they sell and the higher their news program ratings, the more money they make. It's really pretty simple.

I find the same thing in the political world, a candidate can issue press releases about his proposals but the media ignores them because "who cares?" BUT, if there is the slightest hint of scandal OH BOY, story after story after story, etc.

And, ya can't really blame the press, ya gotta blame the PEOPLE for being more intersted in burned bodies hanging from a bridge or some State Rep. being accused of sexually assaulting a minor than what the long range outlook is for rebuilding the beautiful land of Iraq with its historical significance, etc. or in the case of the politician, what their legislative priorities are.

I very much enjoyed the post Kenny :thumbs: I think everyone can learn more from that post that anything we've seen in the media for the last six months.
CC and I have very different political views in almost all areas. With this point, I agree with him %110.

Emo

I, too, can vouch for the idiocy displayed by news of all forms in the interest of making a buck or chasing down the all-mighty Pulitzer (which was founded by the father of "sensationalist media" who was charged with treason ( by Pres. T Roosevelt) but aquitted by the supreme court which is how such journalism was unwittengly endorsed by the US gov't of the time. I haven't been to the sandbox, but every time I hear Korea, China, Japan or the Phillipines in the news I have never seen the drivvle that follows be better than 25-40% accurate (that's the high end only - usually less).

Great letter and good info for the public at large. Wish him the best for all of us, and come home safe.

-K-

Good post - thanks for sharing bro. I'll take the words of the guys over there over the press AND the politicians (I know suprise LOL) words anyday of the week.

Sam