• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp Malfunction

Big Frankie

Has anyone had their Vinotemp (I have the Vinotemp 28) stop working properly? I am concerned b/c I think it may have been too close to the wall (moved it recently) and now the temp won't go down. It is only about 9 months old. Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank

My Vinos are still working fine. I have a couple of inches bestween the back of the units and the wall. As for advice, I agree with Dr. Marneaus.

Hope it all works out OK.

Frank- Try unplugging it, take everything out (cigars and humidifier elements) and plug it back in. It should cool down pretty quick. Once the temp gets down to where you want it, load that baby up again. Make sure there is a little space all the way around the cooling fan grill, from your boxes/trays/etc.

If that doesn't work, customer service...

Good Luck!

Regards,

BT

Thanks for the input!! I only realized later last night and I moved further from the wall.

As for customer service - First of all, only a 90 day warranty, so not much help they could do for the unit. They did have me download the service manual (from their site) in-case I needed/wanted to repair any parts on my own. They also advised to call a Refridgeration/Cooling tech to come out for an inspection. At that rate I might as well buy a new one!

Tom - I will try your suggestion and let you know how it works out.

Worse case I get a new one...

-Frank

That's scary! That's the VT I have too. I make sure to keep everything pulled away from the back so that nothing is blocking the fan. Too much back-pressure can't be good for it.

I ran into this problem a few years ago and the solution was very simple. On the back of the air unit is a grate. It was clogged with dust and dirt and needed to be cleaned out. The air unit ran fine after that and I also brought it out from the wall another 6 inches or so. I have had my unit 700 ( holds 6000 cigars) for almost 8 years now, and that was the only problem I have ever had.

If this doesn't solve your problem, I would call a local heat and air guy and have him look at the unit for you. Forget about Vinotemps customer service.

Well, as of now, it seems to be working ok :thumbs:. I unpluged it, let it sit overnight, pulled it out from the wall a few more inches and ran it again in the morning. Seems to be back to normal... thank God!!

Thanks everyone for the help and support!!

-Frank

Does anyone know if Vinotemp still makes the large cabinet humidors? I looked on their site and the really large ones seem to be gone. I have seen Harris' and am covetous.

JK

John, call Vintoemp and ask them how much they will charge for the 700 Napoleon Wine & Cigar if they take out the wine stuff. This unit is the same size as mine. Also my friend Ekert who you met the other night at Maduros just bought a unit the same size as mine. If you want to talk to him let me know and I will give you his number.

Ekert lives? Great news. I did my first trade with him and probably did 20 more after that. Great guy to deal with though I never had the opportunity to meet him. Harris, he's buying the 700? What's he going to do with the other two thirds of his stash, LOL. As you say, the 700 only holds about 6,000 sticks.

On topic, the Vino's are well known as being very reliable and being worth every penny.

FlyFish, Ekert is doing great. I am pretty sure he was able to fit all his cigars in the Vinotemp. lol

I wil do that. They used to have a humidor that was just for cigars, and now all they have is the Napeleon and other combos. I didn't think to ask them to customize it. Did Ekert get his without the wine stuff? PM me his number if you would. Is he on CP?

JK

John, call Vintoemp and ask them how much they will charge for the 700 Napoleon Wine & Cigar if they take out the wine stuff. This unit is the same size as mine. Also my friend Ekert who you met the other night at Maduros just bought a unit the same size as mine. If you want to talk to him let me know and I will give you his number.

Just a note to close the loop on my little threadjack here. I talked to Vinotemp about getting the napoleon 700 tricked out for just cigars. I also requested they swap the windowed doors for solid wood doors. For the above, they quoted me $3144 plus another $500 or so for freight. This is for a monstrous (>7' tall) humidor with temp and humidity control.

JK