• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vintage Pipe Tobacco

mrcigar

Looking for input on how to handle older tobbaco that has been sealed for the last 20 years in a tin?

I would open the tin very carefully (so I don't spill any :) ) then gently load my pipe with it and smoke it. After that, I'd put the remainder of the tin in a canning jar if I weren't going to smoke it all within a few weeks.

If you mean for storage, just keep it with the rest of your tins. Make sure you're keeping them in a fairly dry place (compared to cigars, at least) so the tins don't develop rust.

If the seal is not intact, you might be able to smoke it after rehydration, but it won't be nearly as good as it would have been.

I would open the tin very carefully (so I don't spill any :) ) then gently load my pipe with it and smoke it.
Funny stuff, Alan! :)

How was it? What was it?

I've had several tins that old. The vacuum sealad ones are the only ones I trust unless it's guaranteed. Beware some of the older C&D tins as they are not even properly sealed.

Steve

Here are some pictures of the tins. I'm leaning toward 1970's

When did Charles Rattray retire/ die?

img0067uf.jpg

img0068y.jpg

img0069so.jpg

img0070p.jpg

I would open the tin very carefully (so I don't spill any :) ) then gently load my pipe with it and smoke it.
Funny stuff, Alan! :)

How was it? What was it?

I've had several tins that old. The vacuum sealad ones are the only ones I trust unless it's guaranteed. Beware some of the older C&D tins as they are not even properly sealed.

Steve

I just bought a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2000 for this holiday season.

To appease my appetite for old VAs I packed a Stanwell with some '99 #22.

I figure I can hold off until Thanksgiving before cracking the Cheer. :)

That's a good year for Christmas Cheer. I've picked up a few tins to have around I like it so much. I'll be cracking a tin from 1996 this year. I can't wait to see what it's like. :love:

That's a good year for Christmas Cheer. I've picked up a few tins to have around I like it so much. I'll be cracking a tin from 1996 this year. I can't wait to see what it's like. :love:
That should be sweet! VAs age well. Haven't been disappointed yet. I've had some English blends(C&D, Pease) that didn't keep as well. The coin twist Orlik aged the best. The container MAY be part of the reason. Only one more tin still sealed. :(-