• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Walk-in Humidor and a Question...

stogielover1980

Hi Board,

This is my first post so go easy on me. I was looking at a few post of humidors and thought I'd share my humidor with you all. It's in construction at the moment. I'm still sourcing shelving, a humidification unit and a few other details. All the lining is spanish cedar and the floors are Bruce Red Oak. I have a one up on you all as this is to be my business so I have the money to blow on really tricking this thing out. I'm going to install a library type sliding ladder for functionality and nostalgic purposes. I've inserted some photos below. Eventually I'm going to post a blog regarding the actual build.

My question is this - what would your optimum blend of cigars be to initially stock it with? I'm still getting a feel for the clientel in my area so I'm trying to get a good mix. I'll probably stock it with 300 cigar boxes to begin with. I have my own thoughts but any advice would be greatly appreciated and everyone on this board seems to really know their stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

outside_humidor.jpg

light_fixture.jpg

spanish_cedar.jpg

bruce_red_oak.jpg

Great looking walk in and good luck with your venture.

I'm sure you've done your homework ahead of time. As you are probably aware that some cigar brands will not be available to you as a start up so I would venture to look at the most popular ones, Arturo Fuente, CAO, and AVO to name a few. 300 boxes is not a large inventory when you are stocking a store. If you carry two boxes of the popular vitolas from those manufacturers you are talking about at least 130 to 200 boxes right there. There is nothing like an understocked humidor to dampen the mood of a prospective buyer.

I would also carry the speciality cigars that the walk in buyer would look for as well as cigars for the ladies. I would go to as many other cigar stores as I could and see what they are selling. Layout of the store is important and the smoking area adds to the experience. Nothing like a store that has a cramped humidor and no place to talk to the owner or staff while asking questions about the various cigars.

Welcome to CP and I hope you take the time to participate in this great community.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

The 300 boxes will be those at eye level and below, the ceilings are about 14' high so we'll have lots of boxes stacked to the top. But you are right, I'm already wishing we built it bigger. We'll be opening our second store in Ft. Lauderdale later this year so we'll probably double the size. We thought about humidifying the entire store but I feel there's something to be said about a walk-in with the warm smell of cedar. The entire shop is a throwback to the 1920's.

You're right with the first time buyer as well. I know its a one-shot deal when people walk into the shop and walk out to tell their friends about it. A competitor opened a shop down the road and he has a large wall humidor with about 6 boxes in it. This is all people talk about when they describe his store to me.

I was planning on speaking with Heavenly cigars about carrying her cigar line for the ladies but if you know of a better flavored cigar, let me know. I had one when I was down in Palm Beach and it's definitely not my thing but I can't say it was terrible.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Nate

Looks like a great start, I like the framed window look, and the ladder idea is a nice touch as long as it doesn't cramp the room.

I'd imagine alot of what you should be stocking will depend on the demographics/incomes/tastes of the folks in the surrounding area. Where are you located? Customer service and interaction goes a long way with B&M cigar shops IMHO. Once you open, I'd be asking each customer what cigars (brands, sizes, general flavors/strengths, etc.) they like, and if you don't have them, let them know that you'd be open to start stocking them. It's also probably a good idea to stock a good variety of strengths/tastes - some bolder Opus type strengths as well as some lighter cigars like Romeos or Macanudo for the new guys who come in looking to get into the hobby.

It looks like you've put a good deal of planning into the walk-in humi - how do you intend on heating/cooling the room? Just curious because I noticed you have the track lighting in there, and they get pretty hot. If you're storing boxes above your "line of sight" display boxes, you'll probably need some fans or some way to cool that storage area down, especially if you plan on leaving the lights on all day or reside in a warmer climate to begin with.

Also, from one newb to another: I'd recommend you head over to the introductions forum and let everyone know a little about yourself and your shop (fill out your profile as well). Folks will be much more willing to hand out advice once they know you a little better. ;)

Good luck with the shop and welcome to CP!

Thanks for the advice,

The store is located in upstate New York and you're right, it gets pretty warm here in the summer time. We do have a heating/cooling duct going into the humidor and I'm working on sourcing some sort of mechanism that would close the vent when air isn't coming out so I don't lose humidity.

In terms of inventory I did quite a bit of promotion in the fall and had a drawing for a humidor in return for people filling out little cards with their favorite brand/cigar. I did this so I could see what people smoke but it was at a somewhat prestigious golf tournament and surprisingly they wrote down some lower end cigars, royal Jamaican and the like. I don't think they were really my demographics, just showy people that thought opus X was a Looney Tunes character.

The closest competition to us is 30 miles away so I think we'll do well with it. I've already met with Altadis and have a meeting with General next week. Between the two I should have a good selection of smokes. Many people around here are interested in trying some new brands so I'm trying to get some quality up-an-comers in there too.

Nice Pug by the way. I have one too although he was more of a concellation prize from an ex-girlfriend when we broke up. I've always had big dogs but he's grown on me and has a hell of a personality. Wouldn't trade him for the world now. I'll take your advice and make my way over to the newb intro board. Sorry to anyone if I barged into this forum.

Thanks Irish

I hate you. That is my dream to have in my house. I think in the next year or so I will contract somone to build me one of those in my house and Ill say the hell with it and stock it with 100 or so boxes and such. I figure its a good waste of 30k or so :)

Hey you only live once. Thats an incredible set up you have.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

The 300 boxes will be those at eye level and below, the ceilings are about 14' high so we'll have lots of boxes stacked to the top. But you are right, I'm already wishing we built it bigger. We'll be opening our second store in Ft. Lauderdale later this year so we'll probably double the size. We thought about humidifying the entire store but I feel there's something to be said about a walk-in with the warm smell of cedar. The entire shop is a throwback to the 1920's.

You're right with the first time buyer as well. I know its a one-shot deal when people walk into the shop and walk out to tell their friends about it. A competitor opened a shop down the road and he has a large wall humidor with about 6 boxes in it. This is all people talk about when they describe his store to me.

I was planning on speaking with Heavenly cigars about carrying her cigar line for the ladies but if you know of a better flavored cigar, let me know. I had one when I was down in Palm Beach and it's definitely not my thing but I can't say it was terrible.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Nate

Hey let me know when you open your store in FL. Ill come by and drop some cash there.

Sorry one last thing. As you may or may not know Padron is HQ'd down here in Miami and I was at their factory last week. Picked up a box of #9 1926's (CA's Cigar of the year) at MSRP!!! $420

Man I love it when the factory sells them to you direct and you dont get screwed by the local B&M trying to rip you off on specialty sticks.

You should go in there and talk about selling their stuff. Grandpa Padron is in there most days and he is really approachable.

There is nothing like an understocked humidor to dampen the mood of a prospective buyer.

Ditto to that. I went a new Cigat Store today looking for Padrons, which were ADVERTISED on their site, and I called ahead and he told me they had "every Padron" in stock...

Showed up, he had 3 in a box, and was charging $17.95 USD for a corona robusto... :angry:

Just remember, talk to the people that come in, ask what they like; you'll do fine boss! :thumbs:

There is nothing like an understocked humidor to dampen the mood of a prospective buyer.

Ditto to that. I went a new Cigat Store today looking for Padrons, which were ADVERTISED on their site, and I called ahead and he told me they had "every Padron" in stock...

Showed up, he had 3 in a box, and was charging $17.95 USD for a corona robusto... :angry:

Just remember, talk to the people that come in, ask what they like; you'll do fine boss! :thumbs:

Ahh that sucks. I am lucky as their factory is about 20 min away from my house. What kinds are you looking for and next time I am down I can pick up a box and we can do a trade or you can just pay me back. They only sell boxes though

How much heat do those nice little quartz lamps add? My experience is that they run pretty darn hot....??

Regards - B.B.S.

Awesome humidor!

Where did you find the tongue and groove Spanish cedar for the walls?

Thanks

~Mark

Wow! that looks nicely constructed. !

I have seen a similar walk in. They had shelved along two walls, left and right, with three rows high. Your looking good so far.

Ahh that sucks. I am lucky as their factory is about 20 min away from my house. What kinds are you looking for and next time I am down I can pick up a box and we can do a trade or you can just pay me back. They only sell boxes though

Oooh!! I was looking for a Padron 2000 to try out, I grabbed one from another CIgar Shop today, when I smoke it (tonight) I'll PM you aznd let you know... Another considering factor is I have like....18 ACIDS (1400CCs) to get rid of...and some Isla Del Sols. STUPID STUPID STUPID! I'm out of room already.... :(