• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wall Street Journal on pipe smoking trend in college!

It's very true. I sell pipes (through work) to college students all the time. The whole perception of "sophistication" really seems to be catching on. I myself have quite a few nice pipes, I guess I'm the walking proof. :laugh:

Pipe smoking has raised my level of sophistication by a few numbers (now if I can only get the woman to notice more!) :laugh:

Shhh...if "the man" finds out that more younger folks are picking up the pipe the prohibitive taxes are going to catch up with us pretty quickly.

I must say, though, that I picked up my first pipe at age 16. I smoked it off and on until I was about 20. Picking it up again over the last couple of years has been a grand experience.

My first pipe was a corncob, probably when I was 16 or 17, but it didn't last long, probably because of the tobacco I was smoking. After years of cigarette smoking I began smoking cigars and then worked my way back to the pipe- full circle!

I listen to the Jim Rome Show quite often ( a syndicated sports show with a fairly young audience, sans me) and they have been on a kick lately of emailing pictures of guys smoking pipes in. I don't know if they are actually taking up the pipe themselves or just are curious about the novelty of it.

My first pipe was sixteen as well......but at that time it didn't have tobacco in it. :whistling:

What a well written article, thanks for sharing.

I grew up around pipes. My Grandfather was a pipe smoker and you would always see him with a pipe. He probably would have smoked one in his sleep if he could. Naturally Pop smoked pipes as we grew up. But when money was tight, he had to lay down the pipe and use that money for food and what not.

I was always fascinated with the pipes. It had nothing to do with like "it looked cool." I never broke under peer pressure either. I got my first pipe back in April 1997 after a tour at NTC California for the Time Magazine article they did on our unit. I've never looked back. While I attended the University, I would go down to the local Tobacco shop which specialized in pipes and I would learn all I could from the good ole boys. I then had some extra money and got my first Peterson pipe. I never bught myself a Corn cob pipe. I always do things big when I do it. I try not to settle for 3rd best when I can have 1st right off the bat. That is if I can afford it and if I can't, I just don't sink down and settle.

I will probably splurge this year and get me a Dunhill pipe. Just to have a nice pipe in the collection that I have. But reading that article closely makes me wonder what the hell some of these kids thinking. Smoking a pipe doesn't make you cool. :laugh: Sure it is relaxing and pretty stressful in the beginning stages of learning to smoke a pipe. I can pack a bowl and have it burn 3 hours without relighting. That all came with time and how 12 years have passed since I bought my first pipe. :thumbs: