• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Want a 19" LCD for $299?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I buy a lot of stuff from TigerDirect.com so I get emailed the specials when they come out. They are offering a 19" LCD for only $299. I checked the specs, and it's remarkable. I read the reviews, and every review was 5/5 stars. I just ordered one and can't wait to get it.

Here's the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem772.asp

No, I don't get a kick back or anything, I'm simply letting you bro's know about this deal. The rebate is a pain in the ass, but if all goes well you'll end up paying only $299.

Rod

ARRRRRGH!! I hate it when I find out about deals like this that are too good to pass up :0

I've been wanting to get an LCD for quite a while now and this is the BEST deal I've ever seen :thumbs:

Great deal, is there any way to convert it to a tv? I don't know much about those things. :)

As I understand it though- LCD's still dont perform anywhere near as well as CRT monitors? ???

Sounds like a great deal though. (coming from a person who has never priced them... that person being me)

I researched it as well, yes it's Spectre Komodo. People who have CRT's say you can't :really tell the difference. It's got a 700:1 contrast ration, which beats out Dell's top of the line LCD for $700. :)

I'm sure the 1 watt speakers suck, but who really buys a monitor for sound quality???

Oh, Baby!!! Rod, you're an evil man!!! :D

One thing, this unit apparently uses the standard D shape connector instead of the digital connector off the video card, right? Is that a compromise, or will it run just as well?

Or did I totally misunderstand the specs? ???

I have a Viewsonic Ultra Brite A90f+ that I love, but it sure takes up a lot of real estate. :(

Its a compromise, sort of. The display probably isn't good enough for it to matter. This isn't top of the line, but its good bang for the buck.

Hey, I was serious about if it can be used as a tv? I would love to have an LCD tv, but can't afford $1000+.

I was thinking about one of these a while back. I do allot of gaming online and the guys I used to be in a clan with said that the performance for gaming isn't as good on LCD's. Something about the frame rate, blah blah blah.

Is this true?? :D

I hear the same. For the LCDs that are capable of video intensive games, they cost much more (duh). I'm not sure what spec it is that you should be looking for though.

Currently, I'm using a 15" Gateway LCD panel on loan from a friend. I play a variety of games on them, most of which have no issues. From time to time, it's difficult to see things on Counterstrike (ie: CTs blend right into the shadows). Detail levels aren't great either. Then again, it IS a 15" and it IS LCD. :p

A very nice buy, but if you are looking for a monitor for gaming, this would probably not be what you want.

I've got a nice 17" now. When that craps put I'm getting a 19" ViewSonic.

I was playing Battlefield Vietnam today since I dl'ed the new patch. It's awesome and some of the maps are dark and hard to see. I just turn of the lights when I'm NVA and in the tunnels, works fine then!!

As Major Pain said, "It's been a while since I done me some killin" :sign:

For TV questions you can get a TV card for anywhere from $30 to $150. Drop the card in there and you have a TV. What is more all the cards on the market have PVR functionality so you have a PVR. Better yet you can display HD signals in HI Def on it. There are many software scalers for PCs that make the picture amazing.

Windows Media Center Edition can now be purchased so you can use Microsoft's home theatre PC Operating system on it as well.

That said I still use a CRT display. LCD monitor's refresh rates aren't up to snuff until you buy very expensive ones. I am very please with Vewsonic's UltraBrite series; cheap, big, crystal clear.

-Matt-

psyktek said:
Oh, Baby!!! Rod, you're an evil man!!! :D

One thing, this unit apparently uses the standard D shape connector instead of the digital connector off the video card, right? Is that a compromise, or will it run just as well?

Or did I totally misunderstand the specs? ???

I have a Viewsonic Ultra Brite A90f+ that I love, but it sure takes up a lot of real estate. :(
Well, if this is the same monitor, and I think it is, check out these pics:
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specif..._X9gKomodoB.htm

Looks like it has both inputs, digital and analog.

I've compared this monitor some other big names, and the specs on this one beat the big boys.

Can't wait to receive it!