• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Water bring out the flavor?

kona1000

Buy Bitcoin
I was talking to a freind and she told me she was told that high alcohol content masks the flavor of spirits. So adding some ice or water brings out the flavor? I am a little suspicious of this.

What do you think?

Why do you think some people have their scotch or whatever else with an ice cube or a little splash of cool water?

It does change the taste a little, though I'm not sure in what manner be it good or bad.

Even a drop or two of water in a glass of scotch or bourbon makes a surprising difference in the taste.

I believe it's personal preferance; some guys like it, some don't. I'm in the "don't" camp. Maybe a cube with my Wild Turkey, but mostly not.

Some of the small batch bourbons have some pretty high % to them; I've seen them as high a 120 but I'm more or less a rookie here. Some feel a little water here helps things. I've never had a problem with that.....:p

Try it, keep doing it if you like it, but start with only a few drops of water. I think you'll be very surprised how much difference it makes.

I was talking to a freind and she told me she was told that high alcohol content masks the flavor of spirits. So adding some ice or water brings out the flavor? I am a little suspicious of this.

What do you think?
Your freind is correct.

From the ARTofManliness.com

"Water - Some scotch novices may sneer at the introduction of a small splash of water as not, “manning up,” but they would be both stupid and mistaken. While water is not a must, many scotchmen will throw a little water in with their scotch to help enhance their ability to taste the individual flavors that can often be masked by the well-known “burn.”"

..and you know that both women and the internet are never wrong...

I've been known to use a few drops now and then but mostly it is neat. Drink it the way you like it.

My understanding was that a little distilled water can help separate the flavors, but adding ice or chilling the liquor will mask them

My understanding was that a little distilled water can help separate the flavors, but adding ice or chilling the liquor will mask them

This is quite true, you have to experiment to get the amount just right. Once you find the right amount which for me is about a tablespoon of water it makes the Scotch all that better.

If you like your drink cold, try these stones. Whisky Stones

Another aspect to remember is to let it breath, just like a glass of wine. There is one golden rule that I think everyone must always follow and it is this;

There is no wrong way to enjoy Scotch whether on the rocks, dash of water, or served neat. It's all about how you like it and that should be all that matters.

-Jimmy

Just like with cigars, it's all personal preference. With strong stuff I'll add a splash but rarely.

I add water to a lot of whiskies because I do not like the burn, and I don't like the Alcohol overpowering all of the subtleties. Sometimes all the way up to a 50/50 ratio.
That said, I always try a new one neat.

I don't usually feel the burn, so I keep it neat.

If I do manage to find myself with an incredibly high proof dram, water begrudgingly hits the amber liquid in tiny droplets.

One (preferably) small ice cube does it for me. Drops the temp a bit and adds just enough water to really enjoy.

To each his own though.

G-

An expert on scotch said that putting in ice cubes bruises the scotch.
So now i put in a little chilled water because i noticed that it brings out the nose and also cuts the burn.
You can really smell and taste the difference,Some times it's fruity or smokey or peaty,depending on what you are drinking!!

One drop of spring water does amazing things to Bourbon.....

What do you think?

Laphroaig, in the little booklet they pack with their product, recommends it. "In preparing your senses we recommend you add a few drops of water to your Laphroaig to awaken the bouquet in the glass."

Doc.

I've seen these before but have always been a little wary of what they might do to the inside of a nice scotch glass. Also, I wonder if they're completely inert or might they possibly impart a flavor of their own (or if porous, previous pours)? Has anybody used them? I might be interested in buying a set if I knew a little more about them.

FWIW, I generally add a touch of water to my Scotch (Bourbon, for me, is almost always on the rocks).

What do you think?

Laphroaig, in the little booklet they pack with their product, recommends it. "In preparing your senses we recommend you add a few drops of water to your Laphroaig to awaken the bouquet in the glass."

Doc.

I've seen these before but have always been a little wary of what they might do to the inside of a nice scotch glass. Also, I wonder if they're completely inert or might they possibly impart a flavor of their own (or if porous, previous pours)? Has anybody used them? I might be interested in buying a set if I knew a little more about them.

FWIW, I generally add a touch of water to my Scotch (Bourbon, for me, is almost always on the rocks).

I just opened a bottle of Balvenie and in their booklet they recommend the same, add a little water to bring out the taste and nose.
J.