• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Way over MSRP

Easto

A new smoke shop opened up in my area and they are carrying a nice selection of high end smokes. The only problem is that their prices are what I would consider way out of line. The shop isn't in an area where I would consider it a high rent space so I can't really buy the excuse of "overhead".

I know it would probably be a good idea to start a relationship with the shop by actually buying a few smoke there and starting a relationship with them but the prices are still high. How would you, or would it be out of line to approach them and let them know I'm willing to make them a regular stop and/or a large purchase if the prices were right.

Don't forget that CA taxes are some of the highest in the country, IIRC.

Also, if they're a new store, they are probably purchasing from wholesalers (at least some brands) and not from the manufacturers. This means that they are paying more for the smokes and have to charge more to make the same margin.

Where is the shop located, and what's the name??

I've approached several shops in my area, showed them the numbers ins reference to CA taxes, and once i provided evidence that their pricing is too high even for taxes and profit, I'm simply told some form of, "Well, you don't own a cigar shop so you couldn't know how it works..."

Easto,

If you feel the prices are way out of line, don't give them your business. You might also try to find a stick you like, that is at least close to reasonable, and buy a few of those. Sometimes I don't mind paying a little more...unless it's way out of line pricing...for convenience AND to help support a local small business owner.

In the end, you vote with your wallet.

-Mike

The unfortunately thing about business is price is often dictated by "What will you pay", not "What should I charge you".

As said, if they are to high, simply shop elsewhere. He's not going to change his prices just because a customer complains about them. He will eventually change his prices if no one is coming into his store to buy them.

I'd prefer not to mention the name since I do want to have a chance to buy some sticks there and see how things go. I don't want to demonize the place.

Also, if they're a new store, they are probably purchasing from wholesalers (at least some brands) and not from the manufacturers. This means that they are paying more for the smokes and have to charge more to make the same margin.
You hit the nail on the head Isy....this is how all cigar shops start out until the relationships are made with all the Manufacturers Reps.

I'd prefer not to mention the name since I do want to have a chance to buy some sticks there and see how things go. I don't want to demonize the place.

You won't be demonizing the place by posting the name here. People will go to the shop regardless to form their own opinions, and I know I enjoy checking out new places. I too would like to know the name and location of the shop so I could check it out.

You won't be demonizing the place by posting the name here. People will go to the shop regardless to form their own opinions, and I know I enjoy checking out new places. I too would like to know the name and location of the shop so I could check it out.

X2....:whistling:

I have a similar situation in my area. There are two shops that I frequent, one of which is more expensive than the other. They tend to have a lot of the same selection, but the more expensive one is only a cigar shop. The less expensive one has a large walk in humidor in the back, but they lack knowledgeable staff. I'll go to the less expensive place when I know what I want, and I'll go to the more expensive place when I need some advice. I'll buy boxes online just because it's almost impossible to find a better deal on a box at a brick and mortar store than you would find online.

I was talking to my B$M owner the other day and he told me how many bottles of wine he had to send to the Padron's table in order to get an account. It's a tough business.

Doc.

I was talking to my B$M owner the other day and he told me how many bottles of wine he had to send to the Padron's table in order to get an account. It's a tough business.

Doc.

6? 8?

My local shop is way overpriced compared to the internet,but I enjoy the camaraderie and being able to talk cigars with his other clients.Plus you can see what your getting and dont have to worry as much about critters,theft ect... It is a personal experience,wich i am willing to pay more for. Just my humble opinion.

Bill

Doc.

The cigar makers have really found a healthy sector of the economy. They sure aren't hurting by any means. I was asking my local shop about possibly getting some Casa Magnas in stock and his exact reply was "I don't really feel like sucking up to a company that doesn't have the credentials of a high end company yet".

Doc.

Padron is particularly hard to get an account with because of their business model. They sell and distribute directly to the shops. There is no sales rep in the line that is interested in finding another customer, so they pick and choose who they want as customers.

The line at the trade show (the only place they take new account orders) is ridiculous from what I've heard.

The assistant manager at my local B&M was frantically busy one day and failed to drop everything to take a call from "Ms. Padron."

It was YEARS before we saw Padrons in the humidor again, and my understanding is the owner had to do some major groveling. ;)

Another thing that can be happening with a new shop, particularly where high end stuff is concerned, is they might be making purchases in the secondary market . . . and marking up accordingly. TW here can't seem to get an Opus account from Fuente no matter how many cigar store Indian statues they give them (long story) so they've been known to buy boxes from one of the regular customers---and then put them out in the humidor at double MSRP.

Nobody in the know ever buys them, of course, but they get to say they have Opus in stock. :rolleyes:

~Boar

Doc.

The cigar makers have really found a healthy sector of the economy. They sure aren't hurting by any means. I was asking my local shop about possibly getting some Casa Magnas in stock and his exact reply was "I don't really feel like sucking up to a company that doesn't have the credentials of a high end company yet".

So according to him, Manuel Quesada doesn't have the credentials??? The man has been doing this for decades. Not to mention that while it's his cigar, the CM was blended by Nestor Plasencia.

The assistant manager at my local B&M was frantically busy one day and failed to drop everything to take a call from "Ms. Padron."

It was YEARS before we saw Padrons in the humidor again, and my understanding is the owner had to do some major groveling. ;)

Another thing that can be happening with a new shop, particularly where high end stuff is concerned, is they might be making purchases in the secondary market . . . and marking up accordingly. TW here can't seem to get an Opus account from Fuente no matter how many cigar store Indian statues they give them (long story) so they've been known to buy boxes from one of the regular customers---and then put them out in the humidor at double MSRP.

Nobody in the know ever buys them, of course, but they get to say they have Opus in stock. :rolleyes:

~Boar
As much as I love Padrons.. if I opened a shop and was treated like a second class citizen.. I'd refuse to carry the cigar. While they are a good seller and you stand for good markup, you can survive as a shop without Padron.