• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Website - adding the ability to create profiles/accounts

interscape

I have a website currently hosted by network solutions but need to add the ability for visitors to "join" and make their own accounts. Simple stuff like: name, age, location, interest, PM’s that sort of thing. Basically exactly like Rod has here but on a much smaller scale for now. Does anyone have some suggestions? I know nothing about maintaining database’s or even how to incorporate that in to a website. So.. Basically looking for a pre-canned solution that I will not lose ownership of the data.

Thanks, Les

You want a forum like this or just a way for folks to sign up?

Tons of forum software, free and pay, out there for the first. Invision PowerBoard and vBulletin are two top paid ones. PHPBB is free I think. Look through your control panel, it may give the option go install a free one automatically.

For the second option, you'll probably need something custom to fit your needs. A PHP programmer should be able to whip something up like that for a few cigars, though.

Good luck.

If you're interested in going in any sort of blog direction, wordpress does that. Actually, it's built in and you have to go out of your way to turn off registered users and comments rather than go through the trouble adding that sort of thing. I don't think your problem is a matter of the host, it's more about the BB site setup and database, and making sure the host plan you buy is big enough for expansion.

I have a few servers I can stick you on. Network Solutions will rape you for all you are worth for basic hosting. This functionality more or less comes from a program that is supported by a server. You may be able to add an application to your NS account depending on how you setup your website at the start.