• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

I didn't have a hydrometer when I did my first couple of batches, but then I did pick one up from a friend along with some other equipment who used to make his own wine. However, since I hadn't previously had any problems, I just kinda skipped over the gravity reading steps, but per your suggestions I think I will start making it part of my brewing routine. Thanks again for the feedback.

Just racked my Belgian Honey Rye to a keg and dumped a 1.14 wheatwine on top of the cake.

Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading
Take a gravity reading

When it does not change for 3 days in a row, then you can bottle it

Tim

Yeah, I have always cheated and not done gravity readings.... haven't done too many batches though and they turned out alright. I have no problems waiting a couple weeks... general consensus would be 2 weeks in a primary and no secondary? Thanks for the help.

Not taking a gravity reading is asking for bottle bombs. The rest of the reasons are more personal preference, but that's a safety issue. Spend the $5-10 and get yourself a hydrometer. If you ever step up to all grain you'll want one so you can figure out what kind of efficiency you're getting and I like to know what kind of attenuation I'm getting from my yeast personally. A lot of people don't worry about that, but it's important if you plan on doing your own recipes ever.

All the above is good advice, bottle bombs can be really messy and dangerous.

I use a 1-2-3 rule of thumb:

1 week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
3 weeks in the bottle

Then it's ready to drink. Some beers take even longer to mellow in the bottle - similar to smoking a young cigar, you'll know when you crack open a brew that still needs a bit of time to mellow.

Drinking a nice cream ale now, next up I'm going to try an Irish stout. I just have to find a nice little chunk of time to brew...

Just moved a custom brew into the secondary. It was based on a Scotch Ale then I went a little crazy with the addition of specialty grains and now it is a dark brown ale/porter. It is good but not what I was going for. I am aging it with toasted oak and some whiskey soaked oak chips.

My American IPA is currently fighting off a full frontal assult. The weekend does not look good for it.

Just racked my Belgian Honey Rye to a keg and dumped a 1.14 wheatwine on top of the cake.
Man that sounds soooo good especially with the candi syrup.

Hey is wheatwine like a mead?

Wheatwine is similar to barleywine, but a little different. I like Smuttynose's wheat wine so much even though I'm not that big of a barleywine fan.

Man that sounds soooo good especially with the candi syrup.

Hey is wheatwine like a mead?

Wheatwine is similar to barleywine, but a little different. I like Smuttynose's wheat wine so much even though I'm not that big of a barleywine fan.

Yep, the primary fermentable in mead is honey whereas a wheatwine is just a style of ale with a high gravity and large percentage of wheat.

Got a bunch of glass vials in the mail today and am gonna try my hand at making some slants to culture yeast in!

Some new stuff, so I figured I'd update.

A basic Hefe with SN Kellerweis yeast. I completely underpitched this, but 48 hours later it's going nuts. At least I learned for the La Chouffe and Houblon Chouffe clones I want to harvest yeast for.

AND

Blind Pig clone...mmm...hops...

I'll let you know how they turn out in a few weeks.

Just figured I'd put in some updates.

My SN Kellerweis hefe was infected. Apparently I wasn't completely clean on either the batch or growing the yeast and the complete underpitch were recipes for disaster! Anywho, that's bottled till who knows when. It tastes like lemons.

So that became my berliner weisse and my BW grains went towards making another Hefe with washed WB-06 (that stuff is $4 a pack now, so I'm definitely washing it.)

My Bling Pig clone is fantastic!

My La Chouffe culture did not work out well. I think that I used way too much wort and the yeast lost to competition. However, I was able to culture a bottle of Duvel easily, so that will be a nice and equivalent substitute more of less. I will pitch my La Chouffe with the washed yeast from this batch if all turns out well.

I started brewing a sour ale with local peaches that my mom had left over from a peach cobbler. Just racked on top of the peaches and put in the dregs of a Cuvee Rene, so we'll see if she gets thoroughly infected.

Pumpkin beer got brewed yesterday. No pumpkin, just pumpkin spices in the last minute.

Maharajah clone is on deck...6 oz's of dry hops for 3.5 gallon batch :0 .

Right now I'm weighing cost/benefit of removing trub from primary or just cold crashing. I think I get much more beer by just cold crashing, but I tried a combo of both as I have not had good luck whirlpooling!

Whew.. sounds like somebody has been a busy! I am going to bottle my Arrogant Bastard (kit) clone tonight. I got plenty of bottles, I need to brew again soon so I can keep the cycle going.

Right now I'm weighing cost/benefit of removing trub from primary or just cold crashing. I think I get much more beer by just cold crashing, but I tried a combo of both as I have not had good luck whirlpooling!

I've never had much luck whirlpooling either.

Just finished bottling tonight.. poured a Stone IPA in celebration and now I just wait a few weeks to try it out!!

Racked the porter over to the secondary, added the cold-brewed CP Coffee (approx 3 oz) and had to find some Coco beans....
found some unroasted beans at a market, roasted them here at the house, and extracted the nib. Not sure I roasted them enough to dry up the oil, so I am going to soak them in Vodka for a few days and decant that into the secondary.

Waiting on my order from RebelBrewer to arrive and I will get started on my Christmas ale.
Pulling a sample tomorrow of my SMaSH for gravity and taste check.....

Tim

Grains arrived today...Yippy-Ki-yea MuthaF....

Going to grind in the morning after work and brew on Thursday.

Holiday Ale

Vienna Malt 7.00 lb
Crystal 40 1.50 lb
Carahell 1.50 lb
Special B 0.75 lb

Target - 60min
Golding- 30 min

I was thinking abut re-working my spice bill for the Holiday Ale, what do you guys think about this;

* 1 cinnamon stick
* 2 Vanilla beans (whole)
* 3 small whole nutmeg (crushed)
* 3 whole cloves (crushed)
* 1 tsp allspice
* Bitter orange peel

IF i can find whole allspice I will use it as well, put it a SS strainer ball and let it ride in the secondary for a few weeks.

Tim

I know absolutely nothing about using spices Tim, sorry. Just not my cup of tea so I don't plan on ever doing it and thus haven't really looked into it.

I destroyed my BK the last go around :( so am currently out of commission until I finish converting my keggle (which is in progress at the moment).

Brewed a saison the other night with my brand new keggle. Got ~85% efficiency so I overshot my desired OG by a lot. Guess I'm gonna have 5 gallons of 10%+ saison depending on where it finishes up!

Are you crushing your own grain, Justin?

Yep

Getting a good crusher and buying grain in bulk is the only way to go if you really get into it Alan. I can get 2row for $.36 a pound that way for example.

I haven't brewed a beer in a while that I didn't use raw wheat in since I got a shitload of it for free, so I hadn't up to this point really been able to get a good gauge for what kind of efficiency I was getting. If I can consistently get in the high 70s to low 80s I'll be really happy.

What mill do you use? I saw over on HBT that you busted your pasta roller mill. What did you replace it with? Would it even be worth getting the pasta roller at all?

And I'm into it, alright. :laugh: I haven't even brewed yet, but I'm into it up to my eyeballs and stoked beyond anything I've done in awhile. I've wanted to do this for a LONG time.

I traded for this one. It works pretty well, though the hopper sucks.

My link

ETA - I wouldn't waste your time with a pasta roller.