• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

Took delivery yesterday of 3 all grain recipes from Austin, Fat Tire Amber Ale, Stormcastle Brown Ale and Coffee Malt Stout.. So now I have the dilemma of what order to brew them in. Nice problem to have :)

Took delivery yesterday of 3 all grain recipes from Austin, Fat Tire Amber Ale, Stormcastle Brown Ale and Coffee Malt Stout.. So now I have the dilemma of what order to brew them in. Nice problem to have :)

IMO you should brew them in the order you listed. Light to dark for the changing of the seasons. Either way, nice selections.

I'm getting really fugging tired of turbid mashes! This barrel can't get filled fast enough at this point.

IMO you should brew them in the order you listed. Light to dark for the changing of the seasons. Either way, nice selections.

Oddly enough dude, I'm gonna say go the opposite way! Brew dark to light so they're ready in the fall, winter, and spring! You could have an amazing glass of Coffee Malt Stout on Christmas morning if you brew now!

hence my dilemma, I keep changing my mind. You can play the logic many ways. They will all be distant memories by spring :p

Next up is my first "from scratch" recipe for a coffee breakfast stout.

same here I am going to goo off on my own within the next batch or 2 and see what happens. It will just break my heart if it sucks though and I have to scarpe 5 gallons of beer :0

Tomorrow my flagship American Red recipe is getting refined! The goal is a blood red color, biscuity notes in the flavor and juicy juicy hop flavor and aroma courtesy of massive late hopping with Amarillo and Cascade.

I just bottled my Surly Furious IPA clone with an IBU of 75.1 and an ABV of 8.1%. Pretty excited about this guy. Next up is my first "from scratch" recipe for a coffee breakfast stout.

what are you using for the chocolate? I just order the extract from MW and will use it in my Coffee/chocolate porter next month.
Still waiting to get started this year, and still looking for the be all end all of Irish Red recipies....but when i get home from this cruise it will be on like donkey kong I tell ya

t

I'm using a good amount of chocolate malt mixed with black malt, and then some Belgian cocoa powder.

Oddly enough dude, I'm gonna say go the opposite way! Brew dark to light so they're ready in the fall, winter, and spring! You could have an amazing glass of Coffee Malt Stout on Christmas morning if you brew now!

This may be my inexperience with all grain and the fact that we have multiple phases of batches going at once but how does the turnaround time for them work? My buddy and I can get an extract kit ready in 6-10 weeks depending on the fermentation time. With that logic:

1.5 months = Early Sept (amber)
3 months = Mid Oct (brown)
5.5 months = Early Jan (stout)

These are closer to 6 weeks but if you do overlapping batches, then that could get you the same results with longer times.

In my experience, it doesn't take any longer for all grain batches to be ready. The only difference is the extra hour or so on brew day. I think I do tend to drink them a bit green, most of my brews are getting really good on the day the keg kicks.

I have given up on secondaries, but may give one a go this time, so I can get 2 brews going at the same time.

My latest thinking, is amber, stout, brown as a compromise to drinking now and waiting.

In my experience, it doesn't take any longer for all grain batches to be ready. The only difference is the extra hour or so on brew day. I think I do tend to drink them a bit green, most of my brews are getting really good on the day the keg kicks.

I have given up on secondaries, but may give one a go this time, so I can get 2 brews going at the same time.

My latest thinking, is amber, stout, brown as a compromise to drinking now and waiting.

Well as long as you have a plan it makes no difference what the lot of us thinks the order should be.

I will, however, continue hijacking the thread until Mustachionado gives me my answer! :sign:

Screw all this.....tired of not brewing
Thursday that all changes.

7# Belgian Pale malt
3# German Munich
8oz CaraRed
6oz crystal 120
4oz roasted barley

29g Fuggle
29g EKG

Mash @152

cant wait

t

I drank another one of my partial Belgian Dubbel's last night.

I notice if I pour very carefully, it's the greatest stuff on earth. As soon as I disturb the sediment on the bottom, out comes the funny aftertaste along with cloudiness.

Anyone else run into this, or is this just common knowledge for most?

It's just the yeast, I do my best to leave the last 1/8 inch or so in the bottle....

or, if I had had a few too many, i just swirl it up and drink it.....my wife loves the gas that follows the next day

t

Nice choice ... both exceptional recipes. Which clone are you using for the Coffee Oatmeal Stout? Terrapin's?

Nice choice ... both exceptional recipes. Which clone are you using for the Coffee Oatmeal Stout? Terrapin's?

Going to be using my own recipe for the oatmeal stout. Will be using some of a buddies home-roasted coffee in secondary.

Homebrewing 1st for me today. First time doing 2 batches back to back. Should get my pipeline back on track after falling by the wayside filling my barrel. :thumbs:

I want to know why I never have a very strong ferment?
I usually make gravity, but I am always worried about infection......

t