• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trappistes Rochefort 6

A=Appearance
S=Smell
T=Taste
M=Mouthfeel
D=Drinkability

Grade: A

A Belgian Strong Dark Ale from Brasserie de Rochefort

A. Dark brown, almost muddy in appearance. A full two finger head that's cream or beige in color. A little sediment was noticed within the head. Nice lacing on the glass.

S. Malt and raisins on the nose.

T. Quite rich. The nose was indicative of what was to come. Caramel, roasty malts, dark fruits. Damn good.

M. Very rich, creamy and complex. Good carbonation. My kind of beer.

D. ABV is 7.5%. Very drinkable. Medium to heavy body. A beer with substance.

Summary: I really enjoyed this beer. I've read that some prefer this to the Rochefort 10. I might have to agree.

Presentation: 330ml bottle

IMG_8616.jpg

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

A=Appearance
S=Smell
T=Taste
M=Mouthfeel
D=Drinkability

Grade: B+

A Russian Imperial Stout from Brooklyn Brewery

A. A black stout with a nice brown head. I didn't get much head, but that's pourer error.

S. Chocolate, malt and coffee.

T. Definitive coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors. An array of malt flavors as well. A very good mix of the two. A little boozy...seems higher than 10% ABV.

M. Good carbonation. Medium-full body. Creamy and smooth.

D. ABV is 10%. Drinkable, given the style. Medium-full body.

Summary: I enjoyed this bottle more than the last. A good example of a Russian Imperial Stout. Would pair well with a full-bodied Partagas.

Presentation: 12oz bottle

IMG_8617.jpg

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

A=Appearance
S=Smell
T=Taste
M=Mouthfeel
D=Drinkability

Grade: B+

A Russian Imperial Stout from Brooklyn Brewery

A. A black stout with a nice brown head. I didn't get much head, but that's pourer error.

S. Chocolate, malt and coffee.

T. Definitive coffee and bittersweet chocolate flavors. An array of malt flavors as well. A very good mix of the two. A little boozy...seems higher than 10% ABV.

M. Good carbonation. Medium-full body. Creamy and smooth.

D. ABV is 10%. Drinkable, given the style. Medium-full body.

Summary: I enjoyed this bottle more than the last. A good example of a Russian Imperial Stout. Would pair well with a full-bodied Partagas.

Agreed.

I went to my local brewpub after work yesterday. Gary, the brewmaster, had just tapped his latest creation - a chocolate peanut butter stout. I was on the fence about it. Definite peanut butter in the aroma. Minimul carbonation, which is his signature. ABV was 5.8%. Hint of chocolate and peanut butter flavors. Gary said he used real chocolate and peanut butter, as opposed to 'that other beer' (Brooklyn Double).

I had three mugs. It was okay, but not outstanding. Perhaps raising it to room temperature would bring the flavors out more.

Brooklyn Brewing Double Chocolate Stout, Southern Teir Uber Sun and a Blue Moon.
Is there a Double Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery? If so this sounds good ... I would love to try their Cookie Jar Porter! :blush: :love:

A 2008 bottle of Dissident. Much to my dismay, I think I'm developing a taste for sours.
Oh oh ... Chico starting to like sours? :whistling: :whistling:

Well techniqually thats a flanders, I really enjoy this style and this was the style that got me into sours. You are on the right path my young padawan the force is strong with you! Do you still have any 750ml of Consecration left? Try opening one of those and see if your taste buds have evolved ... Supplication and Consecration were my first wilds. Maybe at my next tasting I will bring out RR Temptation batch 3 :thumbs:

Brooklyn Brewing Double Chocolate Stout, Southern Teir Uber Sun and a Blue Moon.
Is there a Double Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery? If so this sounds good ... I would love to try their Cookie Jar Porter! :blush: :love:

Nope. Wishful thinking. Black Chocolate is what I meant. Double Chocolate is what I wrote. I picked up another case over the weekend and just opened the first bottle.

I guess this voids my Mensa membership.

Bell's Hopslam

A=Appearance
S=Smell
T=Taste
M=Mouthfeel
D=Drinkability

Grade: 4.6 A+

A DIPA from Bell's Brewery. Thanks to John (jfields) for sending this beer! :thumbs:

A. Pours a golden orange. A creamy white-yellow head. 4

S. Very aromatic and true to its name...hops, hops and more hops. A full bouquet of citrus (grapefruit and lemon zest). 4.6

T. Based on the smell, I thought I was going to be knocked out by the hops...but this beer is amazingly balanced. I can see why this beer is highly sought after. A light honey-sweetness gives wonderful balance to the hoppy backbone of this beer. 4.7

M. Perfect carbonation for the style. Great viscosity. Creamy and smooth with a wonderful honey finish to complement the bitterness of the hops. 4.8

D. ABV is 10%. Given its balance, it is highly drinkable. 4.7

Summary: This is a fantastic DIPA. The constant battle between the hops and sweetness of the honey was fantastic. If I were to smoke a cigar with this beer, it would be a 3+ year old PLPC. The caramel, honey sweetness of this cigar would pair well with this beer.

IMG_8620.jpg

Drinking some West Coast Pale Ale from the first batch of my Mr Beer kit. Heck, I think a lot of us got one of these for Christmas! First bottle was fair - good taste but a little flat. After a little more time and some cold conditioning for about 5 days, its a different beer. Its pretty good now.

Goose Bourbon County Stout

A=Appearance
S=Smell
T=Taste
M=Mouthfeel
D=Drinkability

Grade: B (3.5)

An American Double / Imperial Stout from Goose Island Beer Co. Thanks to John for sending this beer! :thumbs:

A. A black stout with a small brown head, which dissipated very quickly. 4

S. Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, licorice. Woody, I could almost smell the barrel it was aged in. The smell of alcohol is dominant. 3.6

T. Taste confirms the booze. Bourbon comes through immediately. There is a sweetness in the background. Almost too sweet...maybe molasses. Could benefit from aging. Licorice and malts. Some woodiness is noticeable. Very rich. 3.2

M. Very chewy and oily. Very light carbonation. Alcohol content causes a warm tingle. 3.2

D. ABV is 13%. This is definitely a sipping beer. It's a little hot for my taste. Full-bodied. 3.5

Summary: Not my favorite stout. It was bottled on 9/24/10, so it's 4 months old. It needs some downtime to calm the beast within. A little too boozy for me. I've had higher ABV stouts that mask the alcohol content better. This beer would require a real powerhouse for the cigar to not get lost. Perhaps an early 90's PL lolas en cedro or 80's Lusitania.

IMG_8621.jpg

Sorry to hear it let you down Mr. Ritz, this is without question in my top 5 favorites.

What the hell do I know, Brent? :laugh:

I'm new to this hobby and have limited experience. It really was a little hot for my taste, but could turn into an absolute star with 2-3 years of age on it.

I'm enjoying sampling different craft beers, though. I'm thinking Ray may not invite me to his house again if I keep with the beer reviews. :sign:

Best,

Rob

Sorry to hear it let you down Mr. Ritz, this is without question in my top 5 favorites.

I'm new to this hobby and have limited experience. It really was a little hot for my taste, but could turn into an absolute star with 2-3 years of age on it.

I'm enjoying sampling different craft beers, though. I'm thinking Ray may not invite me to his house again if I keep with the beer reviews. :sign:

Best,

Rob
Granted that GI BCBS is a really good stout fresh but its the opinion of many that two years of age does this beer wonders. The 2008 are drinking really well right now.

Best,

Rob
Granted that GI BCBS is a really good stout fresh but its the opinion of many that two years of age does this beer wonders. The 2008 are drinking really well right now.
GI BCBS +2 Years = GI BCBS Rare lol

Best,

Rob
Beers are just like cigars. We all have different tastes so thank goodness there are different choices.

I agree that BCS can be a little hot, but it's one of the only beers where that doesn't bother me at all. There is just something about that beer that hits me just right. I'm still new to this whole craft beer thing as well, so I'm not as knowledgable as some of these guys, and I don't have any 2-3 year old beers in my collection. I can't keep from drinking them that long.

Best,

Rob
Beers are just like cigars. We all have different tastes so thank goodness there are different choices.

I agree that BCS can be a little hot, but it's one of the only beers where that doesn't bother me at all. There is just something about that beer that hits me just right. I'm still new to this whole craft beer thing as well, so I'm not as knowledgable as some of these guys, and I don't have any 2-3 year old beers in my collection. I can't keep from drinking them that long.

Two or three years are you kidding. The life expectancy around my house is around 2-3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back