• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busting into a box that I got from Greg today.

Saint Arnold Weedwacker
Tastes like a really nice hefeweizen, minus the wheat. Tons of citrus and cloves, with a touch of banana. Prickly carbonation, which works really well with this beer. Very refreshing. :thumbs:

Busting into a box that I got from Greg today.

Saint Arnold Weedwacker
Tastes like a really nice hefeweizen, minus the wheat. Tons of citrus and cloves, with a touch of banana. Prickly carbonation, which works really well with this beer. Very refreshing. :thumbs:

Jester King Wytchmaker
Just had two different roggenbiers last night at my homebrew club meeting that were 60% rye, and while the rye isn't THAT dominant in this, it's very much in the forefront. The hops are a bit overpowered by the rye (and maybe fading a bit?), though there is still a nice, smooth bitterness along with some pine and grapefruit. It's a bit over-carbed, but the mouthfeel is nice and thick from the rye. Overall a really nice beer, but seems to be fading.

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Justin. The Wytchmaker bottles are probably close to their peak freshness and the over-carb is most likely from the bottle conditioning. I wouldn't doubt if the hops were fading by this point. I'll have to get you a fresh one next time they bottle it because it was a very hoppy IPA a month or 2 ago. The Weedwacker is spot on from my experience...definitely a unique beer.

Tonight I had:
Left Hand Wake up Dead - nothing exciting but it was decent
Real Ale Lost Gold IPA - a bit past it's prime but still a decent IPA
Green Flash Double Stout - with a shot of Bourbon added, very good but I may have added a touch more bourbon than necessary.

Mexican craft beer? The hell you say!? I was shocked to find a couple brews I'd never seen before. Cerveza Cucapa is the brewery and they are down in Mexicali. I only saw two beers available so this is what I picked up:

Cracked open a can of Chupacabras which is their pale ale. I dug it! For some reason it had some sort of deep sweetness that reminded me of the cocoa I get from Maui CoCoNut porter. Enough hoppiness to get the point across with a strong malt backbone. I liked it!

Obscura, which is their brown ale is disappointing. The nose is mildly malty sweet and the dark brown color had me anticipating a damn fine beer however halfway through each sip the beer takes a weird turn into some sort of metallic, off taste that makes me wonder if I have an old bottle. I really really wanted to like this one but it's been a disappointment, especially since I've been hoping to find a nice dark, malty Mexican beer. I'll buy another bottle of this when I get the chance just to see if this one is just a bad bottle.

Hopefully this is just the start of a promising glimmer of hope. Mis hermanos y hermanas...tsk tsk, when I see them shoving a lime into a bottle of Corona and drinking it down....I die a little inside.

Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale. Really enjoyed this, nice and malty. I'd put it up there with the Flying Dog Brown.

Last night I shared a few with some buddies....

HaandBryggeriet Darkforce
Sam Adams Wee Heavy -----I was disappointed with this one.
Lion Stout - Mmmmm One of my favs.
Sierra Nevada Ovila Abbey Saison
Dogfish Head Aprihop
Full Sail Session Dark lager
Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti

And finished off the night with Oerbier.

Im going to have some Odell Woodcut #4 tonight after work. The local Hyvee is discounting the rest of thier stock for 2.99 each. I may go and get what they have left.

Sipping on a Smelly Sell Barrel Aged Imperial Vanilla Porter. Here's my review:

Poured into a snifter after being chilled in the fridge. I couldn't wait to open this one

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, almost black, with some reddish highlights and a pretty big/thick dark tan head that fades to a layering and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Pretty nice looking beer. 4.5

Smell: The nose is cocoa and roasty malts with a slight vanilla aroma in there as well. There's also a bit of dark fruit and a slight cherry aroma. I wasn't picking up much from the barrel but everything else smelled great. As it warmed more of the barrel notes came out in the form of vanilla and a slight bourbon note. 4.0

Taste: The taste is fantastic. Loads of chocolate/cocoa, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits like dates and prunes, and a bit of oak. Really flavorful beer and the flavors meld together pretty well. 4.0

Mouthfeel: The feel is on the fuller side of medium bodied but it's a bit over-carbonated. The bubbles get in the way of the flavors at times. I have a feeling this is from the thousands of miles it just traveled. 3.5

Overall: Great beer that is on par with a lot of the other barrel aged porters/stouts I've had from some of the bigger breweries out there. Good job, Justin and your homebrewing club! 4.0

Total Score: 3.98 or B+ on Beer Advocate

Poured into a snifter after being chilled in the fridge. I couldn't wait to open this one

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, almost black, with some reddish highlights and a pretty big/thick dark tan head that fades to a layering and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Pretty nice looking beer. 4.5

Smell: The nose is cocoa and roasty malts with a slight vanilla aroma in there as well. There's also a bit of dark fruit and a slight cherry aroma. I wasn't picking up much from the barrel but everything else smelled great. As it warmed more of the barrel notes came out in the form of vanilla and a slight bourbon note. 4.0

Taste: The taste is fantastic. Loads of chocolate/cocoa, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits like dates and prunes, and a bit of oak. Really flavorful beer and the flavors meld together pretty well. 4.0

Mouthfeel: The feel is on the fuller side of medium bodied but it's a bit over-carbonated. The bubbles get in the way of the flavors at times. I have a feeling this is from the thousands of miles it just traveled. 3.5

Overall: Great beer that is on par with a lot of the other barrel aged porters/stouts I've had from some of the bigger breweries out there. Good job, Justin and your homebrewing club! 4.0

Wish I could blame the over carbonation on the travel. :(

Glad you enjoyed it. :thumbs:

Hey does that brewery distribute in los angeles? ;)

It does, but I'm a little concerned about shipping it after both of Mike's bottles leaked for some reason. I've sent it to others and it's been fine though, so I'll give it a shot.

It's hot, Miller High Life. No sense wasting good beer on a 90 degree day.

Doc

I still have a bottle of Justin's Vanilla Porter. When are we getting together again??

Tripel Karmeliet last night.

Holy cow what a Belgian Tripel! Plenty of fruit, honey, and floral notes among so many other flavors. I wasn't expecting as much as I got for the price I paid for a 750 ml bottle.

The little tiny bubbles made it taste even better.

Tripel Karmeliet last night.

Holy cow what a Belgian Tripel! Plenty of fruit, honey, and floral notes among so many other flavors. I wasn't expecting as much as I got for the price I paid for a 750 ml bottle.

The little tiny bubbles made it taste even better.

Thats one of the best Tripels period.

I had Odell's Woodcut #4 last night and Ska's True Blonde Dubbel. The Woodcut #4 is an "imperial" Marzen. Holy crap good.

Been drinking Southern Tiers this week:

Unearthy triple IPA, Inequity black IPA, and Jahva coffee stout. Each of them was great!

On a whim I bought a large can of Foster's Lager. Used to love this stuff years back, but now it's something I could not even finish.

LOL @ Fosters Lager, nice one John.

Last night I had a Clown Shoes Brown Angel that was decent and a COAST Buffalo Trace Blackbeerd that was awesome. Wish I had another BT Blackbeerd...it had just enough barrel aging without being overbearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.