• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What comes first: The Chicken or the egg

Does the celo yellow before a cigar gets tooth, or vise-vera?

• The celo will yellow first

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The cigar will develop tooth first

• What the heck is celo

• What the heck is tooth

• Total voters

blair

Reaction score
This may be more fact than opinion, but I figured I'd make it a poll anyway because facts are usually debated as opinion anyway. I don't know the answer. I think I may know the answer, but I don't know that I know the answer.

What are your thoughts?

A follow-up question: Do all cigars develop tooth in time?

yellowrider.gif

Well you know what they say, you can only argue about opinions, cause the rest can be looked up in encyclopedias, in other words they are facts :D

My vote would have been #3 and #4, but I chose #4: What the heck is tooth? I just don't know what tooth is. Maybe someone can explain.

<<Tooth - Those little "bumps" of oil on a fine quality wrapper. >>

I voted 1, because I've had only a couple cigars aged enough that the cello turned yellow (intended) but I've onkly ever had one with tooth. A couple "about" sites mentioned that tooth is specific to Cam wrappers, but other sites said any wrapper secrets oil over time, so somebody with much more experience can probably weigh in on that one.

I think Bruddah Blair meant to say... BLOOM instead of tooth. A wrapper doesn't develop "tooth"... it just has it as in the case of fine cameroon wrappers. Now... a cigar can develop bloom or plume and OMG... it is a beautiful thing!!!

As for the question... IMO if a cigar is in cello it may develop some bloom but it would be tough because the cello touches the wrapper directly. In all the cases of bloom on my cigars... the cigars have been naked and this allows the oils to secrete from the wrapper and crystalize and turn to bloom. So... I would say the cello would yellow first only because there isn't enough air space between to cello and cigar to develop a lot of bloom.

Now both cigars will give you a great smoke as I've had cigars with bloom all over them that were incredible and also had cigars with dark yellow cello that were equally incredible! I think it just goes back to that age old question... cello on or off and your personal preference.

Aloha,

Wade

When cello yellows... depends on the characteristics of the cello, and how the sticks have been stored (keep 'em in a humidor that is reached by light, such as a humidor with a glass door, and it'll yellow quicker)

When tooth develops... depends on the characteristics of the cigar tobacco, and how the sticks have been stored (some types of tobacco seem more prone to developing tooth than others).

I've seen 10 and 20 year old sticks with no tooth at all... doesn't mean the smokes aren't scrumptious!! :)

In all I've learned about cigars, wrappers, aging, etc. over the years I don't believe that "tooth" can be developed through aging. Tooth is a natural characteristic in the wrapper leaf that is either there or isn't... aging may make the "tooth" more pronounced but aging can't create it.

Here are a few resources for tooth.... Cigar Nexus, Cigar Glossary, Cigar-a-rama.

I agree with Moki that light will affect the coloring of cello. However... if you've seen cello that has been colored by the oils of a cigar it is a different type of coloring. The coloring isn't even but rather sort of splotchy and you can see "stains" on the cello caused by the oils. And as Brother Andrew states... "I've seen 10 and 20 year old sticks with no tooth at all... doesn't mean the smokes aren't scrumptious!!"... he is absolutely correct! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Aloha,

Wade

I have had a Red Dot with tooth that could be seen easily even before lighting it (the tooth is usually easier to see in the ash). But I have also had the exact same Red Dot with no visible tooth at all. How could that be? I assumed that the one with visible tooth was better aged. This is why I figured that the tooth "develops" in the wrapper of a cigar.

blair said:
I have had a Red Dot with tooth that could be seen easily even before lighting it (the tooth is usually easier to see in the ash). But I have also had the exact same Red Dot with no visible tooth at all. How could that be? I assumed that the one with visible tooth was better aged. This is why I figured that the tooth "develops" in the wrapper of a cigar.
Let me try to restate what Wade said, but in terms we'll all understand.

Let's say you have two girls that are sisters. One has big tits, the other doesn't. As both age, the girl with the big tits will end up with breasts that sag over time -- the other sister won't.

moki said:
blair said:

Let's say you have two girls that are sisters. One has big tits, the other doesn't. As both age, the girl with the big tits will end up with breasts that sag over time -- the other sister won't.
Unless, of course, they're both wrapped in yello cello ;)

Finally, some useful information has come from this thread.

I think Moki's point is, you screw around with the big titted sister when she is young, and switch to the small titted sister in mid-life. Same thing applies to cigars.

Did I get it right, Moki?

:) :D :p :thumbs: :sign:

moki said:
blair said:

Ooooooh. Ok. Well sh1t, why didn't Wade just say that in the first place?
chuckle.gif

I have a theory:

"Bloom" is caused by the oils from the tobacco crystalizing on the surface.
"Yello Cello" is caused by the oils from the tobacco being absorbed by the cello.

Therefore, I would have to assume that they happen simultaniously, just not on the same cigar. I surmise that if the cigar were naked, it would bloom, but if it were snugly celloed, it would yellow instead.

PuroBrat said:
I have a theory:

"Bloom" is caused by the oils from the tobacco crystalizing on the surface.
"Yello Cello" is caused by the oils from the tobacco being absorbed by the cello.

Therefore, I would have to assume that they happen simultaniously, just not on the same cigar. I surmise that if the cigar were naked, it would bloom, but if it were snugly celloed, it would yellow instead.
I'll buy that. Good thought. ;)