• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Cuban you will never buy again.

Great King Rat

I have sampled handful of SLRs Serie A and Regios and I have been disappointed every single time. I have tried them aged and fresh.

I just smoke another series A from 01 and it was like smoking air. No flavor, what a let down. Not sure if this my bad fortune or SLR in general has no taste. Perhaps, it is all the Salsa I have been eating that has killed my taste buds.

I do have 2 SLR DCs in the humi which are suppose to be good but at this rate I might just gift them to friend in hope of getting something else in return. :laugh:

What is your let down brand?

-gkr

ive had bad luck with monte 2's. will never buy them again due to the construction issues.

So far all has been well. The Cohiba DC's from 03 left some to be desired but I think age will take care of that.

chino said:
ive had bad luck with monte 2's. will never buy them again due to the construction issues.
[snapback]296919[/snapback]​

Hmmm.. Interesting. Generally, they're very well made. Kinda surprised to hear this, unless it was counterfeit...

I'm with you on the SLR A and Regios but the DC's are outstanding. The best production DC in my opinion. I also like the PC's but those are the only SLR's I smoke.

I can't say I have had a bad ISOM. Some I smoked too early (getting drunk and smoking a H. Upmann EL 2005) and I have smoked a few in their sick period (just impatience and stupidity on my part). I have even smoked some that were not my taste, but as silly as it sounds, the Cubans have been making cigars a very long time, and there are very few (but certainly some) NC's that can even compare. Then again, it is all up to everyone's personal taste. What gets me off might turn you off.

Just my 0.02.

n

and if you want to get rid of your DC's PM me. I have a great deal to trade!

edited because I'm drunk!

I'm with lucasbuck, I love the PC. Have not smoked the DC, because I just don't smoke many double coronas. The Regios is a fine smoke with a little age on it...especially if it is from a cab. The Serie A...just so so to me.

The marca that I won't buy again...the San Cristobal de la Habana. I have smoked the El Principe, La Punta, and the La Fuerze...didn't like any of them. I know some love them, but they were just not a match for my palate.

Cuaba - the entire line. To me, they are very one dimensional, woody, and bland.

Agree Xraydoc, I'm not a fan of the grassy taste, and thats what I pulled from that smoke. Burn was good, and construction was good just not my taste. All the SLR's I have had were very good. Had some from 03 and 01 I thought the 03's were awesome.

i also found the serie A from 03 to be outstanding and very complex.

San cristobals can be hit or miss. Some days I think they are awesome and other days they are bland.

Just had some '01 SLR A's - very nice smoke!!! :love:

I've not had any brand of ISOM I don't care for - certain vitola's, but no particular brand... It depends on my mood - some are very mild, others are very strong. I wouldn't smoke a VR Famosos with my morning coffee, nor would I smoke a LCG Tainos with a good glass of Single Malt...

Grassy taste sometimes appeals to me (Like the Q'DO's, or the Cuaba's). Even some of the Cohiba's I've smoked had a mild grassy taste to them.

Probably the one I'd strongly consider again would be the Monte A. It is an interesting cigar, they take a long time to smoke, and they don't draw/smoke like I like them to...

I had SLRs series A from 03 and they are very flavourfull and tasty. Regios from 03 were not good(for me)... kind of muted flavour. Just not my cigar.

Had Sancho Panza Non-Plus from 98 and was really disappointed... Will never buy it again.To me it tasted like oversalted soup. Although someone might like that.

From my very limited experience the only one that I wasn't impressed with was San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe (generously gifted by Devin). This is very inconclusive I might add as this was my only experience with this cigar so there could be a variety of reasons why this particular stick wasn't up to my liking (i.e. sick period for one). Again it could just be that this particular flavor just wasn't "doing it" for me at this point in time as they seemed to be very liked among the more experienced connoisseurs.

I've had several RASS, young and old. I didn't care for any of them. I found them pretty flat and bland. To each his own, I guess.

I'd have a couple to list VR any so far. Dull, boring, uneventful mild cigars. Diplomaticos for the one I tried was the same. Just plain flat. Now the first 2 brands hadnt been in my humi so that may have played a part of my disgust in them.

Another one I thought was ok but probably wouldnt buy again but I may just to see if I got a bad apple was the Monte A. It was a beautiful cigar and flawless. Th coffin it came it rocked and still have it. The burn was great and was low maintenance to take care of. But the flavor was mild and pretty dull.

Edited to add this statement. I'm glad I've tried them and just hope later on when I give them another shot, that the experience is better than the previous ones.

CalixEros said:
I've had several RASS, young and old. I didn't care for any of them. I found them pretty flat and bland. To each his own, I guess.
[snapback]297082[/snapback]​

These weren't my cup of tea either

Mr Peat said:
I'd have a couple to list VR any so far. Dull, boring, uneventful mild cigars. Diplomaticos for the one I tried was the same. Just plain flat. Now the first 2 brands hadnt been in my humi so that may have played a part of my disgust in them.

Another one I thought was ok but probably wouldnt buy again but I may just to see if I got a bad apple was the Monte A. It was a beautiful cigar and flawless. Th coffin it came it rocked and still have it. The burn was great and was low maintenance to take care of. But the flavor was mild and pretty dull.

Edited to add this statement. I'm glad I've tried them and just hope later on when I give them another shot, that the experience is better than the previous ones.
[snapback]297127[/snapback]​

Wow - the first Cuban cigar I ever fell in love with was the VR Famoso - I had no idea what I was smoking (had never seen one before - I was gifted it by someone who had been on a cruise). This is one of my top 5 favorite everday ISOM smokes!!!

I have some Diplo's with age on 'em that smoke like a dream!!! Not one of my go to's, but I won't turn my nose up at 'em. Good cigar with a good flavor - but definitely not as powerful at the VR's...

And whoever said the RASS's are bad - you either smoke 'em straight out of the box, or you gotta wait at least 3 years. Very young they have a very spicy, raw taste to 'em. In between they are as you describe - boring and bland... After 3 years or so they have incredible flavor!!!

Great King Rat said:
I have sampled handful of SLRs Serie A and Regios and I have been disappointed every single time. I have tried them aged and fresh.

I just smoke another series A from 01 and it was like smoking air. No flavor, what a let down. Not sure if this my bad fortune or SLR in general has no taste. Perhaps, it is all the Salsa I have been eating that has killed my taste buds.

I do have 2 SLR DCs in the humi which are suppose to be good but at this rate I might just gift them to friend in hope of getting something else in return. :laugh:

What is your let down brand?

-gkr
[snapback]296859[/snapback]​

It's very possible these were not properly stored. If they're allowed to dry out, they will definitely lose their flavor. I suspect that may be what happened to these SLR's....

SLR A's are seriously good smokes, Regios not quite so good. Took 6 long years to get some Cuaba's to smoke where the grassy taste was gone the cigars tasted and smoked very good then.

Will not buy Partagas Unvarnished 898's again.
Will not buy Davidoffs again.