• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What does G&M mean?

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
I'm looking into 2 different bottles of scotch made in 1965 to buy now to enjoy later on my 50th birthday.

One is a a Glenlivet 1965 G&M 1965 bottled in 2004

and the other a Glenlochy G&M, Rare Old 1965 bottled in 2002

glive65gma_2.jpg
/
gloch65gm_2.jpg

What I'd like to know is what the G&M stands for. :)

In the first picture the box has "Gordon and Macphail" and the bottle "George and JG Smith" (I think I really can't read the bottle too well.) So I am a bit confused.

*edit* Accidentally posted the picture of the 1955 Glenlivet :blush:

Gordon and MacPhail

I believe the Glenlochy was bottled in 2002 at 37 years old.

BTW the only other 1965 I have found is

Invergordon Single Grain, The Peerless Collection 1965 - 2004

invgo66pe_2.jpg

I'd also like to know what both "The Peerless Collection" and "Single Grain" stands for as well.

AVB maybe you could suggest which of these bottles would be my best bet, due to the high price I will probably (99.9%) only be getting one.

Since aged scotch is getting harder and harder to find, I don't want to wait till I'm almost 50 and not find a 1965 dram. And unless things change a lot in the next 9 years I doubt highly I'll be able to afford a 50 year-old so I'm going to just settle for the whiskey having been distilled in my birth year.

AVB said:
Gordon and MacPhail
[snapback]290364[/snapback]​

So is that just the bottler? Could you please explain how that works, I love learning new things.

AVB said:
I believe the Glenlochy was bottled in 2002 at 37 years old.
[snapback]290365[/snapback]​

You are indeed correct, going to edit it.

Duncan Taylor is an independent bottler and "The Peerless Collection" is the name of a particular series of bottlings they did/are doing. A grain whiskey is not scotch but that doesn't mean it isn't good. I've not had that one so I can't personally say.

G&M always is releasing some fairly reasonable 50 yo stock, reasonable being in the $275-400 range now. What they will have in 9 years is hard to say but they do have the largest stock of aged whisky in the world.

Buy the Smith's Glenlivet out of the scotch choices or take a chance on the Invergordon.

Independent bottlers buy casks to use for thier own purpose, be it aging, vatting, blending or simply to bottle under some other name. Glen Avon is an example of a name attached to some speyside whisky. There is no Glen Avon distillery.