• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What does it take?

drewman285

Sun Grown Whore
Hey guys, Ive got a question that Im really interested in and Ive been thinking about for a while. What does it take to be in the cigar industry? Every brand has it's own cigar representative to distribute and sell to shops. This would be the perfect job for me if I knew how to pursue it.

I am currently a freshman at the University of Missouri. Im undeclared with a spanish minor... really thinking hard about international business though. I love cigars, it's really a passion of mine and I would be really happy being able to have a career that always me to work with something I really enjoy. Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Drew-

i opened up my shop about 4 years ago and have zero regrets. its a blast. my best advice would be to "search" the forums here. a lot of good info regarding that topic has been discussed here. bien suerta!

Drew,

No offense to you but I think your age may come into question at this stage. I personally dont have a big problem with it but I guess the persona of experience would matter when trying to sell product to prospective store owners, etc. I think what you are doing now is good by laying the groundwork for that if you so choose. A true passion for cigars, learning all you can about it, etc. Next I would look to see if you could find work in a cigar/tobacco store so you can see what works and doesnt work for the customers as well as the owners. It will help you sell in the future if you know what your customers needs are. I would also say that if you want to become a rep that it is very important that you work for a company that you truly enjoy their products. If youre not a big fan of some brand but trying to sell it, it will show. You need to be able to look your customers in the eyes and know that you are helping them by giving them a quality product.

Good Luck!

PS I think a spanish minor could really come in handy in the business!