• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is a premium cigar?

In my opinion, one other outstanding premium cigar, especially for those of us seeking exceptional value, is the Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo. This fine cigar has even been favorably compared to expensive Cuban cigars. Enjoy!

If you paid too much on Cbid you paid a premium. If you paid over twice what you could get it for it you knew anything then you paid a super-premium. ;)

Just to add my $.02. I think that premium should be applied not based on the price I mean crummy red dots cost more than 10 bucks. But should be based on the quality of the tobacco used, whether it was a well taken care of vintage tobacco or grown somewhere that produces superb plants (Chateau de la Fuente, abejo region of cuba), the precision with wich it was rolled, and then whether or not it turned out to be a great cigar, which would include universal acclaim as mentioned previously.

As for Super-premium that should be reserved for cigars that fit the previous description but to a higher level on every aspect. Like cigars made from the rarest and most perfect leaves, from the best years on those amazing farms, rolled by legendary (or soon to be) master rollers or torcedors, and universally renowned as the best of the best. If someone were auctioning off these cigars they would certainly need to have at least a few years of age on them to attach the word super-premium.

I think that using these kinds of premises in relation to the words premium and super premium free them from having a logic pitfall like a sliding scale for price or the personal tastes of individuals. When trying to define an idea like premium or super-premium it is better if you try to eliminate possible disputes and narrow the field down to something nearly everyone can agree on. Not meaning my definition, but qualities that can be noted about a particular cigar regardless of personal preference.
Thats the best Ive got so far.

CYG

In my opinion, www.jrcigars.com has the best prices available for both the Tabantillas Gran Duque Maduro, and the Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo. These fine premium cigars are also available from other cigar merchants. The name of the game here is true value. I believe that many of us are looking for true value in an excellent premium cigar. Enjoy!

knightlaird said:
In my opinion, www.jrcigars.com has the best prices available for both the Tabantillas Gran Duque Maduro, and the Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo. These fine premium cigars are also available from other cigar merchants. The name of the game here is true value. I believe that many of us are looking for true value in an excellent premium cigar. Enjoy!
[snapback]225972[/snapback]​

In what way did this post, that you have written three times in different wordings, contribute to this thread on the discussion of what a premium cigar should be defined as?

CYG

Your opinion is worthless. Go bother your other adolescent boyfriends.

knightlaird said:
In my opinion,

I don't like your edit, here is what you said before you edited. For not worthy of a response you made a pretty good attempt. ;)

"----------------------------------------------------------------------
For CvilleYoungGun and AVB: Your snide and uncouth remarks, in
reference to my three previous postings, are certainly not worthy of a
response. You two individuals are obviously not gentlemen. My postings
clearly speak for themselves. Learn to have consideration for the opinions
of other people. Regards, knightlaird
----------------------------------------------------------------------"

knightlaird, the cigars you are touting are basic yard cigars which have nothing in common with premiums or super premiums. If you like them, that is great, but let's call them what they are, cheap yard cigars.

knightlaird said:
In my opinion, one other outstanding premium cigar, especially for those of us seeking exceptional value, is the Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo. This fine cigar has even been favorably compared to expensive Cuban cigars. Enjoy!
[snapback]225380[/snapback]​

knightlaird said:

A) Not one of those cigars is a "premium cigar". As The Master said, these are yard 'gars.

B) "Value" has nothing to do with a premium or super-premium cigar. That's why the word "premium" is there.

Underlines mine.

'Cheap yard cigars'? Not hardly! If interested, you need to learn about the background and history of these two cigars. You also need to know about the documented high ratings that these cigars have received over the years from the knowledgeable cigar aficionado community. This information could likely be obtained by doing a complete, correct, and thorough Internet search. Then, you will hopefully learn the truth.

knightlaird said:
'Cheap yard cigars'? Not hardly! If interested, you need to learn about the background and history of these two cigars. You also need to know about the documented high ratings that these cigars have received over the years from the knowledgeable cigar aficionado community. This information could likely be obtained by doing a complete, correct, and thorough Internet search. Then, you will hopefully learn the truth.
[snapback]226294[/snapback]​

Oh my.

Tabantillas Gran Duque Maduro = $1.00/stick

Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo = $0.80/stick

My friend, I don't care how good these are - they are CHEAP YARD 'GARS. Maybe good yard 'gars, but yard 'gars none the less. Referring to these as "fine premium cigars" is laughable.

Here we go again with that pricing issue! In the past, each of these cigars retailed for over $220.00 per box. Even at these prices, the Tabantillas Gran Duque Maduro, and the Flor De Gonzalez Torpedo were often considered bargains because of their high quality. If you are primarily considering a pricing structure in determining what a premium cigar is, then these two cigars certainly qualify from an historical pricing standpoint.

"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks."--Lew Rothman. If you would like to see unbiased ratings and reviews for your favorite premium cigars, or to submit ratings and reviews of your own, you may go to www.top25cigar.com. Regards, knightlaird

knightlaird said:
"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks."--Lew Rothman. If you would like to see unbiased ratings and reviews for your favorite premium cigars, or to submit ratings and reviews of your own, you may go to www.top25cigar.com. Regards, knightlaird
[snapback]226492[/snapback]​

OK, pull you nose out of Lew Rothman's butt long enough to realize that these are not and never will be premium or super-premium cigars. They are yard gars, plain and simple. Have I smoked them? Yes I have. I can give them this review...they are not the worst cigars that I have ever smoked.

Now, you talked about history. Neither of these cigars have much history. Both cigars were started in the early to mid nineties during the cigar boom. Both were made with less than premium, aged tobacco and both were way over-priced. In fact, the Flor de Gonzalez used to go for 6$ to $12 a stick, depending on the vitola. Tabantillas...a little less. What happened? Well, when the cigar boom ended, the companies making these cigars realized that they could not sell their over-priced, less-than-quality cigars, so they did the next best thing. They sold out for pennies on the dollar to JRCigars. JR takes the old cigars and sells them for a fraction of the price in the original packaging. Then, he has them reblended with some cheap tobacco, repackaged, and sells them as the "new and improved __________ (you fill in the blank)". There is your history on these two cigars. ;)

Now, fill out your profile and let's see if we can figure out if you actually associated with JR Cigars or Cigars of Santa Clara in anyway or if you are just having a love affair with Lew from afar.

Knightlaird,

You are obviously ignorant of what a premium or super premium cigar is so your opinion on this matter is worthless. I stared this thread because of people over stating the status of cigars. You are exactly the kind of person I am talking about, someone that posts a blind trade of "premium" cigars and sends out $4.82 worth of yard gars. The difference between a $10.00 cigar and a $2.00 cigar is apparent through discerning palate which you don’t seem to possess. Now… Please learn the general consensus of what a premium cigar is or kindly leave my thread.

cigardawg said:
knightlaird said:
"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar?  Eight bucks."--Lew Rothman.    If you would like to see unbiased ratings and reviews for your favorite premium cigars, or to submit ratings and reviews of your own, you may go to www.top25cigar.com.  Regards, knightlaird

OK, pull you nose out of Lew Rothman's butt long enough to realize that these are not and never will be premium or super-premium cigars. They are yard gars, plain and simple. Have I smoked them? Yes I have. I can give them this review...they are not the worst cigars that I have ever smoked.

Now, you talked about history. Neither of these cigars have much history. Both cigars were started in the early to mid nineties during the cigar boom. Both were made with less than premium, aged tobacco and both were way over-priced. In fact, the Flor de Gonzalez used to go for 6$ to $12 a stick, depending on the vitola. Tabantillas...a little less. What happened? Well, when the cigar boom ended, the companies making these cigars realized that they could not sell their over-priced, less-than-quality cigars, so they did the next best thing. They sold out for pennies on the dollar to JRCigars. JR takes the old cigars and sells them for a fraction of the price in the original packaging. Then, he has them reblended with some cheap tobacco, repackaged, and sells them as the "new and improved __________ (you fill in the blank)". There is your history on these two cigars. ;)

Now, fill out your profile and let's see if we can figure out if you actually associated with JR Cigars or Cigars of Santa Clara in anyway or if you are just having a love affair with Lew from afar.
[snapback]226513[/snapback]​

And that, my friends, is a SMACKDOWN. :D

No, I do not have any connection, nor any love affair with Lew Rothman or any of his enterprises whatsoever. I am a Disabled American Veteran, having served honorably in both the U.S. Marine Corps, and the U.S. Army. Yes, I will be more than happy to leave this thread. Regards, knightlaird

cigardawg said:
knightlaird said:

[snapback]226513[/snapback]​

I was trying to think of something to say in order not to start a flame war with this uninfomed gentleman. This is what I would have said If I were half the man cigardawg is and/or knew half the info. Thanks for taking care of this guy everyone.

CYG

cant spell.

Here is a list of the TOP 25 as ranked by the source you sited (www.top25cigar.com). Sorry guys, bear with the format -- I think you get the idea.

Rank Manufacturer Cigar Country Shape Rating
Trend Price
1 Trinidad (Cuba) Robusto Extra Cuba Toro 9.52 $18.64
2 Bolivar (Cuba) Coronas Cuba Corona 9.38 $8.05
3 Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo (M) Nicaragua Robusto 9.35 $11.78
4 Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva Shark No. 77 Dominican Republic Perfecto 9.26 $15.05
5 Gurkha Legend Torpedo Dominican Republic Torpedo 9.24 $7.15
6 Padron Serie 1926 No. 1 (Maduro) Nicaragua Double Corona 9.24 $22.52
7 Padron Serie 1926 No. 2 (Maduro) Nicaragua Belicoso 9.23 $23.66
8 H. Upmann (Cuba) Magnum 46 Cuba Grand Corona 9.17 $9.76
9 Padron Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Torpedo Nicaragua Torpedo 9.15 $28.64
10 El Rey del Mundo (Hon) Robustos (maduro) Honduras Robusto 9.12 $3.45
11 Partagas (Cuba) Edicion Limitada 2001 Serie D No. 3 Cuba Toro 9.11 $11.10
12 Padron 1964 Anniversary Imperial (M) Nicaragua Toro 9.1 $12.81
13 Montecristo (Cuba) Edicion Limitada 2001 Robusto Cuba Robusto 9.06 $10.23
14 Cohiba (Cuba) Edicion Limitada 2001 Piramides Cuba Torpedo 9.06 $17.93
15 Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo Nicaragua Robusto 9.06 $10.78
16 Padron 1964 Anniversary Pyramide (M) Nicaragua Pyramid 9.05 $13.92
17 Padron Serie 1926 No. 6 Nicaragua Robusto 9.04 $13.11
18 Juan Lopez (Cuba) Selection No. 2 Cuba Robusto 9.03 $9.74
19 Partagas (Cuba) Lusitanias Cuba Double Corona 9.02 $11.99
20 Cohiba (Cuba) Siglo VI Cuba Toro 9.01 $20.89
21 Partagas (Cuba) Shorts Cuba Petit Corona 8.96 $4.58
22 H. Upmann (Cuba) Upmann No. 4 Cuba Petit Corona 8.96 $5.78
23 Graycliff Pirate Bahamas Torpedo 8.92 $12.09
24 El Rey del Mundo (Hon) Robusto Larga Honduras Toro 8.92 $4.14
25 Partagas (D.R.) Aristocrat Dominican Republic Torpedo 8.91 $7.73

In my opinion, reds are not premium cigars.

OpusX didn't make the top 25. I think I recall the OpusX A ranked at 29th. Others noticably absent from the top 25:

Trinidad Fundadore
Upmann Monarch
RAC
Upmann Super Corona
Sir Winston
Prince of Wales
Cohiba Robusto
RASS

OK, OK, I could go on and on...it would be pointless.

But come on -- I LOVE Boli coronas (probably smoked 3 boxes of them this year), but there's no way it's #2. Mag 46s are fine, but there are 4-5 other Upmanns that are much better choices. And when ERDM Robusto Largas beat out OpusX...well...