• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the purpose of a "Distributor"?

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
I don't understand why we need distributors? Doesn't this drive beer prices up?

And when is Los Angeles gonna get a Micro Brewery ... I have to drive to Palos Robles, Escondido, Irving, San Diego, etc .... man for once I would like there to be one right down the street from me :angry: :rolleyes: :sign: :sign:

In Pa. you can only buy beer at a distributor, and by the case only. As a youngster growing up in Pa. you had to learn to drink a case at a time pretty early in life :thumbs:

In Pa. you can only buy beer at a distributor, and by the case only. As a youngster growing up in Pa. you had to learn to drink a case at a time pretty early in life :thumbs:

.....and by early in life he means by around 11 or 12

p.s. GO STEELERS

To give spark to each spark plug.

BA-1746878-1.jpg

Ooooops, sorry this isn't my Jaguar forum. :laugh:

I was thinking of a gas distubutor. So you can have CO2 to all your kegs without lots of cylinders.

I don't understand why we need distributors? Doesn't this drive beer prices up?

The reason is no different than why we use distributors for thousands of other retail products we buy. The breweries can't afford to ship their beer to each retail outlet in every city and every state in the entire union.

Yes, the distributor is the middle man and has a profit margin he works from. That's how they make a living. The benefit for the brewer is that the distributor already has all the state licenses and proper tax structure in place already. They have the warehouse and the trucks and the employees to get the beer where it has to go. They also have the salespeople who locate new accounts for the brewers and secure desireable shelf space for them as well. The distributors are responsible for paying the applicable state taxes as well. After all, the government has to get thier share. Distributors are absolutely vital to the survival of the breweries.

The government drives beer prices up, not distributors. Farmers are plowing under their hop and grain crops in favor of growing corn. Why? The government pays them to grow corn! And they pay more than the farmer can get for barley and hops. Now you have a grain and hop shortage. Hop prices have increased almost ten times in the last few years. Glass prices have skyrocketed due to huge increases in natural gas prices (you have to power the factory somehow). Diesel fuel is over $4.00 a gallon almost everywhere... and you have to haul all that beer in 18 wheelers to get it from here to there. Let's not forget government's endless need to tax the living s--t out of anything and everything they can... especially small business. And I could go on and on.

Good beer is getting expensive. But not because of distributors.