• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your favorite Domestic Macro-beer?

I really like Sam Adams, too. Out of American beers, it is my favorite.

However, I am a college student so I cannot go without saying Natty Light (Natural Ice). That stuff is horrible but is dirt cheap.

The closest I can get is a Samuel Adams Sampler Pack for a party. Usually 6 different flavors so guests can pick something they like.
I really like Sam Adams, too. Out of American beers, it is my favorite.
Ah-ah-ah! Sam Adams doesn't count. C'mon...cheap, domestic, "old man" beers, guys...

I'm not really a fan of any of 'em. I have really grown to dislike American lagers.

If I had to suffer with one, I'm with billytpage, gimme a PBR "A lot to look forward to!" :D

I used to drink that and Schaefer "The one beer to have when you're having more than one!" back in my college days. Black Label "Mabel, another Black Label" wasn't too bad nor was Schlitz "The beer that made Milwaukee famous!" or "When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer!" The problem with Schlitz was that it was priced up there with Bud (I DESPISE Bud so no slogan for you) which made it almost cost prohibitive on a college guy's budget. :laugh:

Ooooooo, I forgot one, PIELS REAL DRAFT! :thumbs: or Piels Light. We used to get cases for $3.99 in Massachusetts. :0 "Piels, it's a good drinking beer!"

We also used to get half kegs of Old Milwaukee for $14.95 "It doesn't get any better than this!" I wouldn't drink that crap now that it's owned by Miller. :angry:

Narragansett Cream Ale was another oldie but goodie "Our own New England beer!" ;)

The Rainier, McSorley's, Stag, Old Style and a bunch of others (Colt, Mickey's, Henry Weinhard, Lonestar and Black Label to name a few) came out of the mess when Heilman's went under. Their assets were mostly taken over by Stroh's who in turn went under just a few years later. That mess was split by Miller and Pabst with Pabst getting most of the brands.

Not a Genny fan but I was up that way just last year and downed a few. Brought back a few memories.

Granted, they produce their fair share of crap-ola, but they own Justin's Rainier, Brickhouse's Stag, LedMizer's McSorley's, Fyodor's Old Style, Ballantine, and the old Philadelphia brand Schmidt's.

Any Genesee Cream Ale fans out there? :cool:

For cheap drinkin' I like Amber Bock. For cheap gettin' hammered you can't beat the price/alcohol ration of Steel Reserve, a fine malt liquor ( so not sure if it qualifies as beer).

Not to beat this topic to death, but I recently came across a couple other beers brewed in-state that could give the big boys a run for their money:

Reading Premium Beer
(an interesting article on its revival can be read here, along with a thought-provoking look at the "craft beer backlash")

Straub Beer

I don't think mine counts as it is an import, but some buddies turned me on to Tecate and I always tend to have the 30-count cube on hand.

I'm with you on this one :thumbs:

During the hot summers I like to add some lime and salt in a cold glass with a shot of Clamato and can of Tecate...poor mans bloody mary :D

The closest I can get is a Samuel Adams Sampler Pack for a party. Ususally 6 different flavors so guests can pick something they like.

I have not had a mass produced beer in probably 6 years. If I'm at a party and that's all there is I'm drinking soda for the night.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is my get drunk beer.

If all I had to choose was the mass-market, piss-water beers I would stop drinking beer forever.

Fortunately that's not the case. For me it's Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute IPA, Yuengling Lager and Porter, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, and Widmers Hefeweizen and Broken Halo IPA to name a few of my favorites.

Bud or Amstel Light.

BTW, Coors may get a new name - MillerCoors, as Miller is in the process of acquiring Coors.

Bud or Amstel Light.

BTW, Coors may get a new name - MillerCoors, as Miller is in the process of acquiring Coors.

That's interesting. If they put the word Miller on there I wonder if it will then automatically taste like sh*t. Since that's how it works with most Miller products.

Of course, that will be an improvement for Coors though.

Bud or Amstel Light.

That's interesting. If they put the word Miller on there I wonder if it will then automatically taste like sh*t. Since that's how it works with most Miller products.

Doc and Ray have it right, Miller High Life is the beer. That was my real first taste of bottled beer.

Yuengling is what I drink for a domestic beer since I'm close to PA. The price is great and the taste is spot on.

My favorite's micro brewer is Brooklyn Brewery, their line of beers is impressive. For an import I like Negra Modelo from Mexico. I'm lucky that I can get most of the German beers on a regular basis.

Now for the real deal Chimay and Duvel are my favorites. I go to the Ginger Man in NYC and drink what they have on tap as well as what they have in cask.

Well, this quickly degraded from a discussion of the (relative) merits of American macro-lagers into another "this is my favorite beer" thread. Not quite what I was hoping for :( , but these things take on a life of their own, I suppose.

Well, this quickly degraded from a discussion of the (relative) merits of American macro-lagers into another "this is my favorite beer" thread. Not quite what I was hoping for :( , but these things take on a life of their own, I suppose.

Such is life. All the macro-beers, other than Coors Light, always seemed to be in interchangable to me. Coors Light is the furthest thing from my favorite.

Yuengling Lager is my favorite but judging from these posts I guess it isn't as available out west and down south yet.

You know it's damn good when in the Philly/NJ/DE area all you have to say is "lager" and the bartender knows what you want. It feels weird to order by saying "yuengling" because I'm so used to just saying "I'll take a lager." But sometimes you get a newbie bartender at the jersey shore who will say "what kind of lager?"

Man I want one right now! Definitely my go-to beer.

Other than that I don't really see a difference between bud light and miller light or coors light. Miller High Life is a great beer and underrated immensely... but I can't stand MGD. And Straub! I forgot about that beer totally.. I went to college out near Pittsburgh and being a poor college student (mid-late 90's) I remember being able to buy a six-pack of Straub for $4 and it was damn good for that price. I remember it coming in a white plastic bag with draw strings, but I don't know if they still do it that way.

As a guy in a fraternity, I'll go ahead and state the obvious that we drink a LOT of Keystone (low end coors). It's basically like water, if anything it's just refreshing on a hot day.

As far as taste goes I'd say Miller products (High Life and Lite) and also Shiner Bock. It's available nation wide I believe and they taste pretty good for around a $1 a piece.