• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What kind of water do B&M's use?

rectifythis

CP; may cause dependency
I wonder if anyone knows exactly what type of water the B&M uses. I suspect most do not use distilled water. I have been in some which are so large, that they have a 6 foot cloud of mist shooting out from some corner and figure it must be tap water. I have also been to some shops in which all of the cigars on the top level of each box are coated with a dusty film in which I can only assume is minerals. I have also been in some which the vapor smells like musty old tap water. I know distilled water is what we all use and wonder what the shops are using...

1. Do you know what kind of water is being used?

2. Would nasty tap water subvert you from buying stogies there?

I wonder if anyone knows exactly what type of water the B&M uses. I suspect most do not use distilled water. I have been in some which are so large, that they have a 6 foot cloud of mist shooting out from some corner and figure it must be tap water. I have also been to some shops in which all of the cigars on the top level of each box are coated with a dusty film in which I can only assume is minerals. I have also been in some which the vapor smells like musty old tap water. I know distilled water is what we all use and wonder what the shops are using...

1. Do you know what kind of water is being used? yes

2. Would nasty tap water subvert you from buying stogies there? it depends

How about some responses from 'vendors'!

I have seen some that use "tap" water. Here in KY where we have a lot of dissolved minerals and Limestone in the water, some B&M's will develop a crust on the wrappers near the humidifier. I normally avoid those places.

I would think the volume of the area will have a lot to do with how this would effect cigars. In a small enviroment I would believe the effect to be more substantial but in hugh walk in types not so much. My thinking, and I could be totally off base here, is that the impurities would be heavier than the water and in a mist/vapor form would settle quickly... most likely to the floor or only within a small area away from the humidifier.

Actually in the stores I ran we ALWAYS used distilled, not for the sake of the sticks, but for the clean and efficient operation of the humidification equipment. Sure some of the impurities may be dispursed but it's nominal unless your tap water shocks the system with huge doses of chlorine or other chemicals. The damage tap water can do to your equipment is substantial, including rusting and clogging parts and calcifying filters and intakes. This buildup wears out parts and costs you money - not so good if you're trying to run a business. I figure if the humidor smells "funny" then I stay away - kinda like people.

Actually in the stores I ran we ALWAYS used distilled, not for the sake of the sticks, but for the clean and efficient operation of the humidification equipment. Sure some of the impurities may be dispursed but it's nominal unless your tap water shocks the system with huge doses of chlorine or other chemicals. The damage tap water can do to your equipment is substantial, including rusting and clogging parts and calcifying filters and intakes. This buildup wears out parts and costs you money - not so good if you're trying to run a business. I figure if the humidor smells "funny" then I stay away - kinda like people.

I can tell you that Arizona tap is full of calcium, lime and chlorine...and yes, some of them smell funny.

I would think even a place with large walk in humidor could still use local tap water with a small filter system. The water use can't be that much... a small home size reverse osmosis / cartridge system would work fine and cost less than $300.

At that cost, it would be silly not to use that (or just use distilled water)

I quit shopping at one of my locals when I saw them refilling the gallon "Distilled" water jugs in the men's room from the faucet. Didn't notice an issue with any cigars I ever purchased there it was more of a disgust factor from my point of view.

One of our largest local B&M's pipes in water tap water that's been through a cartridge filter of some sort. It does not remove minerals as the entire interior surface of their humidor is covered in sticky fine dust.

Wilkey

The sad thing is, I suspect it's not a matter of cost, but laziness that causes this problem.

I mean, a gallon of distilled is far from cost prohibitive, and readily available all over the place.

The fact that stores do not use distilled water is not a suprise or bother.

A 'bad envirnorment' may be a shop using tap water...but that's not that bad...bad is when the filter
on the system is all moldy or calcified. Bad is when there's ONE humi in the corner of a 10x15ft room...and they have it on HIGH.
(all the smokes near the system are soaked and the ones far away are not!)

The amount of time the stock stays in a 'bad environment' is more of a concern.

A 'bad envirnorment' may be a shop using tap water...but that's not that bad...bad is when the filter
on the system is all moldy or calcified. Bad is when there's ONE humi in the corner of a 10x15ft room...and they have it on HIGH.

Right on, Gary. I've seen all these things. In one case, the humidifier was on one end of a 10' x 35' humi and the humidity was 7% different from one end to the other. And that was if no one came in through the door that was at the midpoint of the long side.

Wilkey

Right on, Gary. I've seen all these things. In one case, the humidifier was on one end of a 10' x 35' humi and the humidity was 7% different from one end to the other. And that was if no one came in through the door that was at the midpoint of the long side.

Wilkey
X2

Where I work P/T we have an adequate number of humidifiers all running tap water with no residue that I've noticed. The biggest problems are the small humis that don't have someone full-time making sure they are operating correctly.

I never really eyeballed the water source of the few B&M I patronize. All of them seem to be using the ultrasonic water pulverizers. It seems that if they use tap water, the vapor will contain the same concentration of minerals as the water - plenty here in Denver. However, I've never noticed any distilation on any of the stock. I'll be looking.

Ironically, it seems that most of these 'tap water' shops have the most mold issues. Could it be that if they invested in 75 cents of distilled water they would not take a loss on the inventory?

from what i hear the B&M around me in Chicago use tap water. I hear thay have some sorta filter. I dont know if it really helps or not but i try to buy cigars that have not spent any time in there humi. I have noticed some mineral build up on the wood near the humi divice.

TJ

I set up an ultrasonic humidifier connected to reverse osmosis filteration system.. Its the first thing I changed when I took over the shop and I'm completely satisfied with it. Previous system which used tap water on a wick based humidifier was creating mineral buildup and failed to humidify all the cigars evenly in my walkin humidor. I'd say its worth the investment. Many of my customers were taking notices also and seems to be satisfied with better quality of the cigars.

I set up an ultrasonic humidifier connected to reverse osmosis filteration system.. Its the first thing I changed when I took over the shop and I'm completely satisfied with it. Previous system which used tap water on a wick based humidifier was creating mineral buildup and failed to humidify all the cigars evenly in my walkin humidor. I'd say its worth the investment. Many of my customers were taking notices also and seems to be satisfied with better quality of the cigars.

That's excellent. Any other vendors?

Back