• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

It wasn't Country but it played on country stations. It wasn't Rock but it influenced generations of rock guitarists. It was as original as the man himself. Dwayne Eddy died today at 86.

I was looking more into Dwayne Eddy last night and found out he does have a claim in having the first true stereo rock album ever with "Have a Twangy Guitar Will Travel" in January 1958. Perhaps even more impressive is that 3 of his band became members of Phil Specter's Wrecking Crew.

Have your heard Disturbed's version of that song?

Forgot how much I love this album!

I have heard Disturbed's cover, and it is really good. Dave Draiman has such a great singing voice when he actually uses it for vocals other than grunts and animal sounds. I wish their version would have gone just a little bit extra there with the final refrain, but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it.

Whitesnake opening for Quiet Riot Seattle Center October 1984

A clash of Mediocrity

The last concert we saw at the Center was certainly not the best. Quiet Riot riding the downward side of their Mental Health popularity with the Condition Critical tour was still just a bar band who got lucky only now with better lights and sound. The majority of the songs were thankfully forgettable although Bang Your Head was a great sing-a-long encore. They would never be this popular again.

Whitesnake, on the other hand, had already put out 4 albums and an EP Coverdale knew how to be a front-man from his days with Deep Purple and knew how to mine that same musical vein. 1984 was Whitesnake's big push in the US with this tour supporting Slide It In which had 2 songs in MTV rotation. Coverdale did it all, swung the mic stand like Rod Stewart from '74, spun the mic around like Daltry in'70 did the mic drag behind him as he roamed the stage like Jagger in '68, dropped to one knee and sang to a girl in the front row as a lot of singers do. So the show was pretty good but the music was pretty standard. I will say that there were far more girls in attendance then what was the norm. My wife kept reminding me with a jab in the ribs quite often.

The only question I'm left with is why either of these bands still exist and are still touring.