• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

The center of the glam rock world in California was Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco on Sunset Blvd. The heyday was from January '73 until Sept '74 before closing in early '75. Probably the center of teenage debauchery in LA over that period of time too. I had just gotten back from a year tour overseas in mid June '74 and had made my way there by the end of the month. I was 18, tanned like the surfer boys, whipsnake thin at 6'3" 180. I'd grow 4 more inches an 40lbs over the next 5 years. I was a tourist in a world I'd never seen. My Dingo strap boots, jeans, t-shirt and shaved head did not match the image of glam but did make me stand out in that world - enough to make some girls curious. While the legal drinking age in Cali was 21 the average age of the female clientele was or seemed to be 16. Almost all were at some point on the road to being wasted on something. More than once I heard "Can I have some change so I can call my Dad?" while eating breakfast the next day. I didn't stick around to meet Dad whenever he showed up.

I'd like to think this next part is true but it maybe just a hopeful memory.
During one of my nights thereI saw a cute girl sitting with a group of other girls who was turning down everyone who asked her to dance. This went on for some time or so it seemed before I decided to give it a shot. I get there and she says "Why do you want to dance with me?" I reply " You're cute and I could see you singing the words to most of the songs." That apparently was good enough. So there we are, this 5'3" girl who couldn't weigh 100 lbs with the 6'3" boy who dances like the guy flopping around in the Devo video. We talk a little and I ask what does she do when she is not here? "I'm starting a band!" was the last thing she said to me.

This how I remember her looking minus the guitar. Like I said, cute girl.
Joan Jett in Los Angeles 1975.png

A little over a year later the first Runaways album come out and there is my dance partner on the back cover - Joan Jett

I like to think that this is true, the place, time and girl seem right but even if it is not it is still a fond memory.

Read the wiki on Rodney Bingenheimer's I didn't see a lot of what is talked about but having been there I can believe it

Last edited:
Pandora: Acoustic Guitar Collective Radio

Birthday concert 1/27/78

Jumping ahead a little to stay with a theme. I had come back from Memphis in Oct 77 and was sent to MCAS El Toro near Irvine California. Nrewly promoted and married This was one of the first concerts we went to. She didn't like it and could not understand how I could go home and listen to something like YES after seeing......

The Runaways open for The Ramones at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica Ca. There are some that think that the city of Los Angeles and surround suburban cities like Santa Monica are homogeneous, that Santa Monica is LA which might be true if you are from out of town but not so much if you are from Santa Monica.

The Runaways were back in the states after the wildly successful '77 Japan tour supporting the Queens of Noise album and continuing when the Live in Japan album came out in August. They opened with Wasted, did well with Wild Thing and Queens of Noise and Cherry Bomb. Their cover of the Velvet's Rock & Roll was pretty good but a bit ragged in spots.

The Ramones came out with their blistering 20+ song set which only lasted an hour but you got more energy than most 2 hour shows. This is classic 1978 Ramones so you got all the "hits" Rockaway Beach, Teenage Lobotomy,
Blitzkrieg Bop, Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment, Sheena Is a Punk Rocker, Surfin' Bird and more!

A great time was had by all - except for the wife.

Same tour a month earlier

Happy Mother’s Day!

Every time my Dad has ever come to one of my solo acoustic shows he requests "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother". It started off as a joke, but I started playing it every time. Most of the time the crowd is completely unfamiliar with the song, so I'm really just performing it for an audience of one.

And since we're talking about Ray Wylie Hubbard songs, here's my favorite of his:

Last edited: