• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

I typically don't enjoy covers that are significant departures from the original, but this one popped up on my Pandora station last week and I've probably listened to it 30 times since then.

I actually love when musicians put their own arrangements on a song -- and it just works.

I thought this was an SRV song for the longest time when I was much younger...

Well, I accidentally post a 2fer last night because I thought it was Tuesday (getting old is not for pussies😁). So now that it’s really Tuesday, here y’all go! Tonight’s theme (for me) is road trips…

/rant on
I don't know how I stayed lucky for so long but I just ran across "first time" or "reaction" videos. My question is why should I GAF what somebody I don't know thinks about something I've been listening to for decades? How vapid must your life be that you have to get your opinions vicariously? Makes me glad I've lived and am old enough to know it./rant off

Don’t get me wrong, I love it when it works. Like this one:

Even Trent Reznor said that "Hurt" is no longer his song, anymore; it now belongs to Johnny Cash.
/rant on
I don't know how I stayed lucky for so long but I just ran across "first time" or "reaction" videos. My question is why should I GAF what somebody I don't know thinks about something I've been listening to for decades? How vapid must your life be that you have to get your opinions vicariously? Makes me glad I've lived and am old enough to know it./rant off
I generally feel the same way. There are a few that I do enjoy watching, such as Rick Beato, The Charismatic Voice, and Justin Hawkins, amongst a few others. Those particular few have some professional insight to actually add to educate viewers about the musical choices, the industry, vocal styles, etc., that the songs in question present. It's funny, because sometimes Elizabeth from TCM (who is a rather well-known in her time opera singer) will point out how a singer does something specific with their throat or voice in a song, and that vocalist replies to her stating how they never knew that's what they were doing, and they learned how to effectively and properly add it (or something else) into their style going forth. Rick Beato really breaks down the music, track by track, on a song, and gets into the weeds of the musicality. Those are the types of reaction videos I like.

I know that this thread brings a lot of us together from our common love for music and I know we have members here that have a lot of musical talent. So, that got me thinking about getting you all to share your talents with the group. So, @cohibasurfer I want to ask if I(We) can piggyback off of your thread for our music? I was thinking Triple MMM - My Music Monday. It doesn't have to be full songs or even finished pieces, it might just be a catchy riff. It doesn't have to be original music either, maybe its a recording of the beginning of a Fucking great song that you always play when you pick up a new guitar, looking at you @kann 👀 Anyways what do you guys think @AVB @dawgie34203 @PaulTra @Eshaw99 @JoeMO @bfreebern @Gavin @Not A Nice Person @ anyone else that would be interested. Thoughts?

I know that this thread brings a lot of us together from our common love for music and I know we have members here that have a lot of musical talent. So, that got me thinking about getting you all to share your talents with the group. So, @cohibasurfer I want to ask if I(We) can piggyback off of your thread for our music? I was thinking Triple MMM - My Music Monday. It doesn't have to be full songs or even finished pieces, it might just be a catchy riff. It doesn't have to be original music either, maybe its a recording of the beginning of a Fucking great song that you always play when you pick up a new guitar, looking at you @kann 👀 Anyways what do you guys think @AVB @dawgie34203 @PaulTra @Eshaw99 @JoeMO @bfreebern @Gavin @Not A Nice Person @ anyone else that would be interested. Thoughts?
Absolutely Aaron.

Even Trent Reznor said that "Hurt" is no longer his song, anymore; it now belongs to Johnny Cash.

I generally feel the same way. There are a few that I do enjoy watching, such as Rick Beato, The Charismatic Voice, and Justin Hawkins, amongst a few others. Those particular few have some professional insight to actually add to educate viewers about the musical choices, the industry, vocal styles, etc., that the songs in question present. It's funny, because sometimes Elizabeth from TCM (who is a rather well-known in her time opera singer) will point out how a singer does something specific with their throat or voice in a song, and that vocalist replies to her stating how they never knew that's what they were doing, and they learned how to effectively and properly add it (or something else) into their style going forth. Rick Beato really breaks down the music, track by track, on a song, and gets into the weeds of the musicality. Those are the types of reaction videos I like.
TCV is not whom I would pick to explain Coheed and Cambria.

Yikes. I haven't actually picked up a guitar in quite a while. :p I'll see if I can grab some of the videos of our old quasi-classic rock cover band I was in back in Germany. I haven't watched those in ages -- hopefully they still hold up as well as I remember them being right after the fact!

TCV is not whom I would pick to explain Coheed and Cambria.
Ah, granted, she's made a conscious effort to step outside her comfort zone in the past year or so, venturing into harder rock and metal. Though she may not be fully versed on the actual band front, she absolutely can -- and does -- accurately explain what is going on vocally. She did a video some time ago where they actually put an endoscope down the throat of a vocalist of some screamy/growly band to show exactly what she was explaining was happening to produce the sounds he was making. It is not my preferred music, but it was interesting to see and hear it as she talked about it. It sounds like you are familiar with the channel and what she does, so maybe you've seen that one already. I can't remember the name of the band. Elizabeth from TCV is enthusiastic, charismatic, and not hard to look at. I dig what she does, even though I admittedly only really watch the ones that interest me for one reason or another. YMMV

Sounds good to me.

I tried playing bass for seven years only to realize my entire musical talent is pushing the "ON" button. Couple that with my vision and that I'm not going to be cutting snippets of anything I have no dog in this. That is not to say it wouldn't be interesting as a reader but it isn't for me as a participant.

Ah, granted, she's made a conscious effort to step outside her comfort zone in the past year or so, venturing into harder rock and metal. Though she may not be fully versed on the actual band front, she absolutely can -- and does -- accurately explain what is going on vocally. She did a video some time ago where they actually put an endoscope down the throat of a vocalist of some screamy/growly band to show exactly what she was explaining was happening to produce the sounds he was making. It is not my preferred music, but it was interesting to see and hear it as she talked about it. It sounds like you are familiar with the channel and what she does, so maybe you've seen that one already. I can't remember the name of the band. Elizabeth from TCV is enthusiastic, charismatic, and not hard to look at. I dig what she does, even though I admittedly only really watch the ones that interest me for one reason or another. YMMV
For me the problem is that the premise is false. Not to pick on TCV but since we are using her already we have a 38 year old woman from LA who has never heard ELO, Pearl Jam, The Doobie Brothers....you get my drift....until doing these reviews? Now what she says about HOW they are singing may have merit but that is not reviewing the music IMO.