• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

I know that this thread brings a lot of us together from our common love for music and I know we have members here that have a lot of musical talent. So, that got me thinking about getting you all to share your talents with the group. So, @cohibasurfer I want to ask if I(We) can piggyback off of your thread for our music? I was thinking Triple MMM - My Music Monday. It doesn't have to be full songs or even finished pieces, it might just be a catchy riff. It doesn't have to be original music either, maybe its a recording of the beginning of a Fucking great song that you always play when you pick up a new guitar, looking at you @kann 👀 Anyways what do you guys think @AVB @dawgie34203 @PaulTra @Eshaw99 @JoeMO @bfreebern @Gavin @Not A Nice Person @ anyone else that would be interested. Thoughts?
I’ve only ever mixed pieces of other people’s music, and that was twenty years ago. Recently I’ve had this stuck in my head begging to be sampled. I’ll enjoy listening to what y’all come up with, however.

For me the problem is that the premise is false. Not to pick on TCV but since we are using her already we have a 38 year old woman from LA who has never heard ELO, Pearl Jam, The Doobie Brothers....you get my drift....until doing these reviews? Now what she says about HOW they are singing may have merit but that is not reviewing the music IMO.
Valid, and I meant to point that out in a previous post of mine -- some of those I listed are purely educational and not necessarily true "reactions" (Rick Beato, for instance). I'd tend to believe that TCV is coming across most of her material for the first time, though, to be honest. From what I gather, until semi-recently, she lived in a single-track musical world consisting solely of her vocation. That's not too hard to believe for someone doing something on such a professional level. ELO is before the time of that age group. Now, she's also trying to tell us she's never heard Led Zeppelin; THAT one I have a hard time believing! (I believe it was Stairway, at that!)

But, you are correct, there are very few honest "reaction" videos worth a damn out there that aren't self-fellating for likes and subscribes.

We had a guy named Blake Miller fill in on lead guitar with my old band for a show back in 2022. Super nice guy and a hell of a player. Not long after that he went on tour as the lead guitarist in Alex William's band.

Here's a video of just the two of them:

And a picture from that show with us (Blake is on the left partially obscured by the speaker and I'm the dummy in front of the microphone):

Yorktown 2022.jpg

Last edited:
We had a guy named Blake Miller fill in on lead guitar with my old band for a show back in 2022. Super nice guy and a hell of a player. Not long after that he went on tour as the lead guitarist in Alex William's band.

Here's a video of just the two of them:

And a picture from that show with us (Blake is on the left partially obscured by the speaker and I'm the dummy in front of the microphone):

View attachment 81006
Very cool story!

Very cool story!
The story behind that show is weird. I had moved to Virginia from Indiana about 4 months prior and had barely picked up a guitar that whole time. I certainly hadn't been on a stage. It was a summer concert series for that town and they had a band drop out on them last minute. One of the organizers was friends with our drummer Tony and asked him if we could fill in. I drove 11 hours from Virginia Beach and rolled into town that day. I met Blake for the first time during soundcheck. Our regular lead guitarist had already booked a gig with another band. Our bass player Tracy had met Blake a couple of times and texted him the day before asking if he could fill in for us. Speaking of Tracy, he had just gotten out of the hospital a few days earlier after spending 3 weeks there getting 60% of his pancreas removed. We were shocked he was able to stand for the entire show. Our steel guitar player Tommy was also playing with another band so he wasn't here. When we would perform Luckenbach Texas, he would always sing one of the choruses like Willie Nelson. He sounded just like him when he did it. Because Tommy wasn't there, I gave it a shot.

I dug up a couple of vids from that show. My buddy Patrick shot them on his cell phone, so the audio isn't great.

Let's go down to the sunset grill
Watch the workin girls go by
Watch the basket paople walk around and mumble
gaze out at the auburn sky
Maybe we'll leave come springtime...
Mean while have another beer.
What would we do without all these jerks anyway?
Besides.... all our friends are here.

Just to show AVB is still Hep and with it I'm doing a show from April 2002

I'm now with wife #2 who is European and not at all tuned into any American music beyond the top 40. This made concert going a bit difficult until we figured out a way to compromise.....shopping. About 35 miles away in Lancaster, Pa they have a huge outlet mall and of course, the wife had to visit every store. She never really bought a whole lot but could easily spend 6-8 hours looking. This was not high on my list of things to do but what I got in trade was a night at the Chameleon Club a few miles down the road. Now the Chameleon Club opened in 1985 and was the premier Alternative Club you could easily get to from my place without driving to DC or Philly. It was well known enough the even some national acts like Live and Fuel started tours there.

For a big act tickets were sold for the lessor known a cover at the door. A sellout was about 1000 SRO. The band with my favorite name played there it seemed like a dozen times - They Said There Would Be Jetpacks. However, this night was a shot in the dark because all I had to go on were some reviews from other places they had played but for the $12 cover I was willing to take a chance since I had already paid my 6 hour shopping dues.

Some local band opened the show did their 30 minutes of forgettable noise before Coheed & Cambria came out in support of their first LP released 5 weeks previously. (I had to look that up) The audience was receptive to their style of dissonance and they got called back for an encore. I was interested enough that I filed them ibto my mental "check them out later" folder. It would take almost a decade before I caught up to what they were playing. But they weren't the reason people came that night - it was for the headliner Reliant K a kind of alternative punk/pop Christian band in the style of Sum 41 or SR-71. The wife liked that because people got on the dance floor which meant she could drag me out there too which was her goal every time we went there.

You can hear the Sum 41 Kick Me When I'm High in the intro

Last edited:
Just to show AVB is still Hep and with it I'm doing a show from April 2002

I'm now with wife #2 who is European and not at all tuned into any American music beyond the top 40. This made concert going a bit difficult until we figured out a way to compromise.....shopping. About 35 miles away in Lancaster, Pa they have a huge outlet mall and of course, the wife had to visit every store. She never really bought a whole lot but could easily spend 6-8 hours looking. This was not high on my list of things to do but what I got in trade was a night at the Chameleon Club a few miles down the road. Now the Chameleon Club opened in 1985 and was the premier Alternative Club you could easily get to from my place without driving to DC or Philly. It was well known enough the even some national acts like Live and Fuel started tours there.

For a big act tickets were sold for the lessor known a cover at the door. A sellout was about 1000 SRO. The band with my favorite name played there it seemed like a dozen times - They Said There Would Be Jetpacks. However, this night was a shot in the dark because all I had to go on were some reviews from other places they had played but for the $12 cover I was willing to take a chance since I had already paid my 6 hour shopping dues.

Some local band opened the show did their 30 minutes of forgettable noise before Coheed & Cambria came out in support of their first LP released 5 weeks previously. (I had to look that up) The audience was receptive to their style of dissonance and they got called back for an encore. I was interested enough that I filed them ibto my mental "check them out later" folder. It would take almost a decade before I caught up to what they were playing. But they weren't the reason people came that night - it was for the headliner Reliant K a kind of alternative punk/pop Christian band in the style of Sum 41 or SR-71. The wife liked that because people got on the dance floor which meant she could drag me out there too which was her goal every time we went there.

You can hear the Sum 41 Kick Me When I'm High in the intro

Another great story. Thanks for bringing C&C back to mind (along with the other reply earlier); I recall coming across them after they had been around a while, and even recommending them to a friend. However, I never really followed up on them, myself, and I'm not sure why they didn't make it into my regular rotation.

Also, my first car was a Plymouth Reliant K, but that's neither here nor there.