• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

what Sort of booze you like..

mitchshrader

Everybody has favorite tastes. Some whisky isn't fit to drink by most standards, except.. a few people LOVE the stuff..

and it doesn't matter which one YOU like, somebody someplace hates it.

But tastes fall into categories. If you like SOME things, you'll probably like others..

I'm a sherried scotch guy, old oak, sweet fruitcake flavors, deep antique finish.. I want heirloom booze..

so, the young exuberant Islay malts are not my thing. I don't care how much smoke and seaweed they've got, not interested.

AND, moreso, if it's the right flavor, I don't care how obscure or unknown it is, i'm after the TASTE, not anyone elses approval..

so far, the booze I like turns out to be 15+ years old, sweet and spicy and fat and strong and OLD booze.. nothing lightweight or flowery or delicate about My tastes..

got any recommendations? I sure do.. IF you like what I do..

I actually prefer rum. I do like an occasional whiskey. I recently found a bottle of Old Fitzgerald my Dad hid from me in my younger years..He is a non-drinker. He got it in the early 60's.

Damn tasty over the rocks.

well, if you find any particular rum to be the 'holy grail'.. let me in on it. my latest experiment in booze turned out amazingly well, and I'm quite willing to become better educated.

What's old, spicy, and not terribly popular? Strong is good too..

My standard is 20 years old and 100 proof, and sweet old wood.

Cheap isn't expected.. but affordable sure helps. :)

I'm an Islay guy through and through. The smoke, salt, iodine and peat reek are what I look for in a Scotch. Of the 15 or so bottles I have in my cabinet, 10 are from Islay with a few being Islay malts finished elsewhere by independent bottlers. I also have a Talisker in there too which with its sea salt and smoke, might as well be an Islay cousin.

I certainly enjoy other Scotches too with varying tasting notes. I like the sweetness of Balvenie's Portwood and Doublewood offerings, the creaminess of the Glenfiddich 15 Solera reserve and sometimes it doesn't get any better than the smoke-infused, honeyed Highland Park 18.

One has to be careful with buying whisky based on reviews. Even with the experts like Murray, Jackson, Broom etc., one have to realize that they too have preferences. They may pan a whisky because it has a rough edge to it, yet that may be just what you're looking for. I use the experts' reviews to see what they are tasting and I don't give much creedence to their overall scoring. A 7 whisky to one of them might be a 10 to you or me. Scotch tasting is definitely a an "eye or palate of the beholder" situation.

Rum: Ron Zacapa Centenario.. very little can beat it. I do like an occasional sip of Pyrat Cask 23 though.

Vodka: Ketel One or Grey Goose

Whiskey/Bourbon: Maker's Mark

Gin: Don't touch the stuff, but the old man loves Bombay Sapphire

Scotch: Whatever someone else brings over. Usually ends up being McCallan (sp?) of some vintage

Cognac: Louis or nothing at all

Beer: I'm an American from the midwest.... Bud Light

But, all in all, whatever gets me drunk will do.

I am a Islay guy as well. With Lagavulin 16yr being tops in my book. I do enjoy other scotches, however after drinking the Islay malts, they all fail in comparison.
When scotch is unavailable and I have to drink beer, I drink Budweiser.
I’m not to fond of the darker or “complex” beers and do not like imported beers. I guess it’s from many years and many Budweisers ;)
On occasion I have been known to drink some Jose Gold as well :D

well, a new edge to the tastes .. for me at least, and I suspect for anyone.

Cask Strength Cognac. Oily & fat, the most 'lumps of flavor' booze I met yet..

I posted a review in the cognac section.. but this is more like a sweet old bourbon or sherried scotch. AMAZING booze.

ya'll buy some. if you don't like it, GOOD. I'll trade you out of it.. :)

Whiskey - Basel Hayden - not too many people know it but its an awesome drink

I like it probably for the same exact reason you don't as I read from your review. What this one does for me is the smoothness with which it goes down. I also drink it straight up no water or ice, but you are right if anything is added the flavors seem to disappear. As far as the flavor goes the spicy, nutty taste mixed with that slight touch of oak makes for what I like in its pallet.

As they say to each its own :)