• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What was the best cigar you ever smoked?

I had an H. Upmann Churchill that someone gave me from '05...I think. Best cigar I ever had. That was the first time I ever tasted a prominent coffee flavor in a cigar.

I'm going to say the Tat Frank...due to the WOW factor I've had recently with the ones I've smoked.

Padron 1926 Serie No. 2 Maduro

Bought it from a little B&M that I used to live by, never had one before and had no idea what to expect. Turned out being amazing, which I was thankful for after paying that much for it.

LOL, White Owl Diplomat. October 24th, 1967. I returned from Viet Nam to my parents home in Long Beach, CA. My Dad and I had a cigar on the porch and talked about all the joys in life. I will never forget that day, I will never forget that cigar... Doug

I'm not sure if it was the best or not, but the Padron 44th that I smoked yesterday is definitely in my top 3.

Paired it with a bottle of Sharecropper Pinot Noir and the whole experience was amazing.

Padron 26s share much of the flavor profile Pinot Noir. They both have that black cherry, chocolate, coffee, earthy
profile.

The amazing part was the the wine opened up in harmony with the 44th. The one thing I didn't expect was caramel. They
both developed a brief caramel flavor at the exact same time.

I've never in all my years of drinking wine and smoking cigars experienced total harmony from start to finish in a wine and cigar.

The pair of Davidoff Millennium Churchills that I shared with my Brother on the balcony of Maggiano's in Nashville. I just remember that the smoke had this buttery texture. They were part of a birthday present from an ex-girlfriend and had at least a year of age on them. That was a great day.

A few weeks ago I had a Johnny-O! Coronas Extra Pigtail from 2007 (I believe) from a sampler that I picked up from Greg (Kingantz). It was the first time I've picked up a flavor other than tobacco. It was a kind of hay/barnyard hit that lasted for just a few seconds. I kept waiting for it to resurface but it never did. But there's hope. :thumbs:

LOL, White Owl Diplomat. October 24th, 1967. I returned from Viet Nam to my parents home in Long Beach, CA. My Dad and I had a cigar on the porch and talked about all the joys in life. I will never forget that day, I will never forget that cigar... Doug

*That* is an excellent answer. I will have to think about my answer.

The one that seems to be sticking out the most to me was an OR Anejo given to me by my buddy Jay at the drag races in Englishtown, NJ....Raceway Park!....in the Fall of 2000. We both worked for John Deere at the time and we were sponsoring an event there.

He was connected to the guys over at CF and acquired a few from that initial batch. It was one of those cigars that when you took a puff of it, it stopped you dead in your tracks and made you take notice. I remember constantly looking down at that cigar in amazement, that I could really be enjoying a cigar that much! Amazing. We went on to buy all we could that Dec/Jan and smoked them until the boxes were empty. I can't tell you how many people I turned on to those cigars who said the exact same thing. I've never enjoyed any other Anejo like those first releases...ever.

A close second was my first Bolivar Belicosos Finos around '94-'95 given to me by my buddy Bruce Z, who got me a box while on vacation....love at first puff! They were so smooth and refined for a small cigar, they smoked like a much larger vitola. I ran with those (putting my beloved Monti #2s on the back burner) until they went to hell in '99-'00. They were pure heaven in a little package! Thank God I bought a ton of them to last me past the Dark Years.

I think the best cigar I ever smoked was my first WOAM sent to me in a bomb by Swissy. I smoked it as Souldog and 42 and I diffused the ultimate cigar bomb by AVB to end the newbie FOG war of 07.

You got the wrong war there Dude! I was the only one to get a Fat Boy in the Great War of '07....Soulpuppy wasn't around then. :sign:

Bar none, a '98 Fonseca Cosacos. A three dollar cigar that I smoked in my carport one evening with nothing to drink, no one to smoke with, no event to make it special...just a damn good cigar

I think the best cigar I ever smoked was my first WOAM sent to me in a bomb by Swissy. I smoked it as Souldog and 42 and I diffused the ultimate cigar bomb by AVB to end the newbie FOG war of 07.

You got the wrong war there Dude! I was the only one to get a Fat Boy in the Great War of '07....Soulpuppy wasn't around then. :sign:

Bar none, a '98 Fonseca Cosacos. A three dollar cigar that I smoked in my carport one evening with nothing to drink, no one to smoke with, no event to make it special...just a damn good cigar

I stand corrected sir. Newbie war of 08.
This ain't the first time I have experienced the Jonsey beatdown and I'm sure not the last :sign:

I'm burning one of my last Padron 3000 naturals from 07 as I write this on the back patio. Me alone glass of JW Black everybody in the house asleep. Quiet cool SoCal night. Epic experience.

Nice story. I've had a few like that myself. Damn this is a great sport huh?

This ain't the first time I have experienced the Jonsey beatdown and I'm sure not the last :sign:

If you thought that was a Jonesy beatdown, you must have missed quite a few of ones I've dished out! :laugh:

It's all in the delivery and how we react to said delivery that defines us.
Thanks for your patience sir, thanks for your patience.
I don't care who you are, nobody is above an ass whooping once in a while.

If you thought that was a Jonesy beatdown, you must have missed quite a few of ones I've dished out! :laugh:

I was very lucky to get a 1992 Hoyo DC from a generous BOTL here and I have to say as of late it still tops the list :). Great thread BTB!!

Jim

This is such an impossible question to answer... was it my first Padron 1926 Serie #2, smoked with great company after Thanksgiving dinner in '05? Was it the same cigar three years later after the birth of my daughter? Of course it was both... and neither... maybe it's the LFD Salomon I'm smoking right now? Maybe my first Monte #2? Was it my first Ashton VSG Torpedo, after a long day working C-130 flight scheduling in Kuwait? Possibly... that was a memorable smoke for sure. Maybe it was this one:

gallery_7985_1339_48085.jpg

It was my first rotation as a slick C-130 aircraft commander in late 2005. I had just gotten into cigars, and we had done a Baghdad-Jordan run. In our ground time in Jordan, I ran into the terminal and hit the duty-free shop, which of course had a humidor full of Habanos. I'd like to think the Siglo IIs (that's the one I'm smoking, the dude on the left) and Monte #3s I picked up were legit, but I have no idea now. It doesn't really matter. We also had Padron 2000s and Thomson Iguanas. The important thing is the post-flight ritual our crew developed. After almost every flight, we'd sit down at the smoke pit for cigars and coffee/bottled water/coke/whatever. It was a bit of civility after a punishing 18+ hour day of flying our posteriors off in the sandbox. Even though we were away from our loved ones and our homes, the cigar smoking ritual offered a refuge. I'll always love cigars for this. I don't think the cigar, in the final summation, matters as much as the overall experience.

I don't think I could pick a favorite. Way too many good cigars, with good friends, over the years.