• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Almost 9 lbs of pork butt in the smoker with some apple wood chunks for just under 11 hours. Oh I could get used to this barbecue thing.
2v1opzr.jpg

Boar's seeming proclivity for Frittata ...

I make one every Sunday, with whatever's handy. My usual base is thin sliced baby potatoes, sweet onions, one egg, some half & half, and grated mozzarella . . . plus whatever. I like to add bacon, herbs, peppers, and veggies in different combinations, and sometimes (like today) I'll layer the top with more stuff before it goes in the oven.

Sometimes I'll do an all onion one, like an Egg Fu Yung but with cheese.

Funny thing is, I had no idea what it was called the first time I made it. I was just thinking "why does a quiche need a crust, anyway? Crust is hard to make!" and that's what I thought of it as, a crustless quiche. Probably made half a dozen of 'em before I found out it was called a frittata!

~Boar

Do you wrap it at any point? And what do you do after you take out of the smoker?
I never wrapped it while cooking but did cover it with foil after pulling it off and to let it rest. I don't remember how long I let it rest (my buddy and I had been drinking a good amount through the day) but I'd hazard a guess of about a half hour. Then I just hand shredded it in pieces and served along with some corn on the cob and Cole slaw.

Dang, never tried that. Sounds good.

You have to caramelize the onions fairly well, and drain off the excess liquid, before adding the grated cheese and egg mixture or the frittata won't "set" properly and will be kind of runny and tend to fall apart on you. Same with mushrooms. I'm gradually learning what combos work the best; potatoes, onions, bacon and herbs is a consistent winner and so is Brussel sprouts with anything---they seem to soak up liquid really well.

Made one with leftover mac 'n cheese one time on a whim---there wasn't enough of it for a meal, so I figured why not?---and it was FANTASTIC. :eek:

~Boar

Easter, my favorite holiday. Sixteen people are coming to dinner tomorrow. We'll have deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms with crab, Caprese salad, various Italian cold cuts and cheeses, bruschetta, chips and dip. The main course will consist of Ham, for the Protestants, leg of lamb, for the Italians and Jews, baked mashed potatoes with mozzarella and parmesan, asparagus, broccoli, peas and homemade rolls. Desert will be cannoli, coconut cake, brownies, and ricotta pie with strawberries or pineapple. I'll be cooking the savory; the wife the deserts, except the cannoli which will come from the North End.

Doc

I'll be cooking the savory; the wife the deserts
Do you have more than one stove? My Mom had 2 stoves/ovens. It was epic. New York italians, finished basement with full kitchen and then the regular home kitchen. My Nonna's basement was where all activity usually happened. The rest of the house was a "museum". ;)

Do you have more than one stove? My Mom had 2 stoves/ovens. It was epic. New York italians, finished basement with full kitchen and then the regular home kitchen. My Nonna's basement was where all activity usually happened. The rest of the house was a "museum". ;)
I have two ovens and three Webers. The ham will go in the large oven; the lamb in one of the Weber's. I have a finished basement, with an extra refrigerator, but that's where the bar is.:D

Doc

Easter, my favorite holiday. Sixteen people are coming to dinner tomorrow. We'll have deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms with crab, Caprese salad, various Italian cold cuts and cheeses, bruschetta, chips and dip. The main course will consist of Ham, for the Protestants, leg of lamb, for the Italians and Jews, baked mashed potatoes with mozzarella and parmesan, asparagus, broccoli, peas and homemade rolls. Desert will be cannoli, coconut cake, brownies, and ricotta pie with strawberries or pineapple. I'll be cooking the savory; the wife the deserts, except the cannoli which will come from the North End.

Doc

We'll be there around 2, hope there is some left :)

IMG_1314.JPG
I golfed with my son in-law yesterday and then had a belated birthday celebration for daughter. My son and wife put this together while threat of us watched from the island. We're all going to my sisters form Prime Rib today, which I like more than lobster.

Dinner tonight was ham, barbecue beans, potato salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, and something new for the PetersCreek household: maple-apple bread pudding, with a bourbon caramel glaze and bacon crumbles...

p2282545491-3.jpg

This was my favorite dessert at an Anchorage restaurant but they dropped it from the menu a couple of years ago. I was heartbroken. I've talked about trying to replicate it ever since but haven't until today. Pretty darn tasty if not an exact reproduction.

Threw a couple turkey breasts on the smoker and then shredded the meat afterwards. I stuck some strips of pork fat under the skin to try to keep it from getting too dry. The exposed meat is a tad dry however the interior meat is nice and tender. The chicharron in the background was basically a learning exercise. I actually ate quite a bit of store-bought chicharron yesterday and had already defrosted that large piece of skin so I threw it on the lower grill of the smoker just to see how it would turn out. Not bad, though some parts were still leathery and I hadn't seasoned it. I ended up tossing it. I hate to be wasteful but I've already had too much fatty pork product the past week or so.
33nanf5.jpg

Went to a 9 course game dinner (plus dessert) put on by a friend last night. No pictures of the first two. The first one was outstanding ground venison flatbread with fresh local mushrooms as the star.

upload_2017-4-18_15-18-36.png

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3417.JPG