• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

We made Kielbasa last night. We also ran out of large casing so about 30% of my haul will be served on hotdog rolls.
View attachment 80309View attachment 80310
I've been heading toward a Carnivore way of eating recently so at some point I'll be getting a grinder. Are you happy with the one you've got, recommendations? Also if you have any suggestions or thoughts on meat slicers, and dehydrators. Anyone else have two cents to throw in?

I've been heading toward a Carnivore way of eating recently so at some point I'll be getting a grinder. Are you happy with the one you've got, recommendations? Also if you have any suggestions or thoughts on meat slicers, and dehydrators. Anyone else have two cents to throw in?
My buddy owns the equipment. It’s a 3/4 HP Cabela grinder and a 5 lb vertical stuffer. He’s had it for about 10 years and has never been disappointed. We’ve done upwards of 70lbs at once without issue. I enjoy making bulk Italian sausage and Kielbasa and my family loves to eat it, but I want to eventually get my own equipment and do some smaller, more unique products.
We have an inexpensive dehydrator that’s almost 20 years old. Like the cheap kayaks we bought, we figured if we liked it we would buy better ones but we’ve never had reason to replace them,the cheap ones have been just fine.

Joe, I'm sure others have better equipment than I do. I bought a grinder many, many years ago for grinding deer meat and it's served me well.

Here are a couple of observations:
  1. The throat that you dump the meat down could be bigger, it sometimes gets full and you have to use the pusher to push the meat down. Once that starts, you need to have a can of non-stick spray or it can become a chore to keep the meat feeding easily. This means I have to cut the meat up small.
  2. Mine is not crazy powerful, and I do NOT sharpen the blades to razor sharp for a good reason. The process of the auger pushing the meat through the blades and plates (the round thing with the holes the meat comes out through) catches 90% of the sinew and silver meat rather than simply cutting it up into the meat. This causes me to occasionally/frequently unscrew the collar, remove the plate and blade, clean the crap off the blade, and put it back together. A bigger/sharper set up will simply grind the stuff you don't want into the meat; this forces me to spend a great deal of time cleaning the meat. And that is tedious. If you're starting with meat which has already been cleaned, this is not an issue.

Joe, I'm sure others have better equipment than I do. I bought a grinder many, many years ago for grinding deer meat and it's served me well.

Here are a couple of observations:
  1. The throat that you dump the meat down could be bigger, it sometimes gets full and you have to use the pusher to push the meat down. Once that starts, you need to have a can of non-stick spray or it can become a chore to keep the meat feeding easily. This means I have to cut the meat up small.
  2. Mine is not crazy powerful, and I do NOT sharpen the blades to razor sharp for a good reason. The process of the auger pushing the meat through the blades and plates (the round thing with the holes the meat comes out through) catches 90% of the sinew and silver meat rather than simply cutting it up into the meat. This causes me to occasionally/frequently unscrew the collar, remove the plate and blade, clean the crap off the blade, and put it back together. A bigger/sharper set up will simply grind the stuff you don't want into the meat; this forces me to spend a great deal of time cleaning the meat. And that is tedious. If you're starting with meat which has already been cleaned, this is not an issue.
Did you really say "The throat that you dump the meat down"?

Slept in, breakfasted late (okay, breakfast for late lunch, late) so I just wanted something light tonight. This was perfect: Parmesan roasted asparagus topped with grilled lemon pepper shrimp & a poached egg.

Because a nice runny poached egg on top of almost ANYTHING makes it tastier! 😋

GKMssOgX0AEpqoc.jpeg

~Boar

Slept in, breakfasted late (okay, breakfast for late lunch, late) so I just wanted something light tonight. This was perfect: Parmesan roasted asparagus topped with grilled lemon pepper shrimp & a poached egg.

Because a nice runny poached egg on top of almost ANYTHING makes it tastier! 😋

View attachment 80519

~Boar
Take way the shrimp and my wife would be on this like a copperhead and a bare ankle.

Simple dinner with flowers ( thanks to Kann ). Crocked chicken, purple hull peas made with secret stuff, one slice of a red thing, apple saucer, small elbow salad and the bouquet of really from the Netherlands Dutch flowers & what I thought was for holding eggs, but my wife insisted it was for the flowers. Dog am smart enough than to argue wife wife ( Woof ).

IMG_0400.jpeg

Dinner last night was Costco rotisserie chicken, asparagus roasted with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, with yellow rice.

Brunch today was Red Chilaquiles with Mexican chorizo crumbles, topped with fried egg, pork bacon, turkey sausage.

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_7061.jpeg