• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your technique for keeping humidity up in the winter?

rectifythis

CP; may cause dependency
I am having a hard time keeping the ol' 150 ct humi above 55%. It is cold and dry here...in Arizona. We don't really use the heat much, I would say typical conditions are high 60's for temp and teens for outdoor humidity. I have 65 viper beads and my hygro's are calibrated. My humi has a tray and below the tray it is fluctuating from 55-59% humidity as of late. What do you guys do in the winter to rectify this? (GET IT?! RECTIFYTHIS Aw, I crack myself up)

Mine does the same and I just have to recharge my beads more often in the winter.

I have the same problem in my desktop when the heater in my home is running. I just use one of the little OEM foam humidity pucks that came with my humi, saturate it with distilled water, and put it in the humi with the beads. Brings the humidity right up (over a couple of days) and then I pull it out.

Works great for me - B.B.S.

Man I even put in a shotglass of water and it went down to 54%!

Man I even put in a shotglass of water and it went down to 54%!
lol, maybe in winter even your water loses some of its 100% humidity, and suck it from cigars? :D

But seriously, I have the same problem. I have a new humi, 20-30% full and can't get more than 61%Rh. I already put glases with distilled water for 3x24h, wiped it and get 80Rh, then put the cigars. During 2 next days it felt down to 61% and stays like this till now. I think I'll not fight with Rh anymore. Maybe when I have it 50% full Rh will move up, if not, than I have to wait for spring. After all my 61%Rh will not kill my sticks, I check them everyday and they're ok :)

I ran into this problem to. I just moved everyting into my coolidor, 65% on the dot.

For what it's worth, my desktop took better than a month to fully season / equillibrate such that it'd hold humidity well. If you guys are dealing with new humi's, it may be as simple as more time is required.

If you put a shot glass of distilled water in your humidor and the RH doesn't start coming up in a day or two, you have (1) a very new humi that's dry as a bone, (2) a bad seal on your humidor, or (3) a broken humidity gauge.

You did salt test your hygro so you know it's working properly, right...??

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Had the same problem. Threw a couple shot glasses of distilled water in and things are back to 63-64 (I use 65% beads.

I actually gave some thought to getting a humidifier. Not expressly because of the humidor, but the air in my house is dry as a bone over the winter. Pretty unpleasant actually when you constantly wake up with a dry mouth/dry nose, etc. Anyone have a humidifier in their home?

The first thing that occurred to me is that you just have a bad seal on your humidor.

The first thing that I am suspicious of is the capacity in your humidor being used. If you have enough room in it to put a shot glass with distilled water, one of your problems may be that you have too much air and not enough cigars in the humidor. I know it sounds crazy but I found this to be true: The fuller your humidor is, the less variance you will find in RH. It is most difficult over the winter months because as we all know, the cold knocks the humidity out of the air. Every wintertime I make sure to fill my humidor to capacity (this is not a joke) and I do it expressly to protect my cigars from drying out and to keep the humidity from bouncing around. A fuller humidor and a watchful eye on the hygrometer pay off in the winter time, also, this is definitely the time to be decisive when opening the humi, either you are in there for a) recharging of beads/other humidity device b) you are throwing some sticks in there or c) you are getting a cigar out you want to smoke. Not wasting time with the lid open in the winter time and exchanging out all of the air is pretty important during the colder months. It would make your life easier as well if you could find a place where you can maintain a constant temperature conducive to storing cigars in the winter months, but filling your humidor up with leaf will help out greatly.

Personally, I agree that it could be a seal issue - bad or just not that tight. I've expereinced this problem with several desktop humidaors over the years. I've had a DM humidor now for a couple of years and from the second day of ownership, humidty has always been contstant regardless of weather and how many cigars I have in it.

The first thing that occurred to me is that you just have a bad seal on your humidor.
I had the same thing typed in for my first reply to this thread, but for whatever reason changed it.

Thanks for the tips guys...yes my hygros all in good shape. I think I am going to buy a humidifier for the house today anyway because it is unbearably dry. As for the humi, yes it is a new humi and it took a month to season and I did this just recently. I know that capacity helps and I was aiming to be mostly full but when a good lot of my cigars arrived they were infected (beetles) they have since been frozen and are now in quaranteen. Therefore, I am 40 cigars low. I guess I may have to tupperdor my smokes until I am able to fill the whole thing up. I don't think it's a bad seal, I got it from CheapHumidors and they are pretty reputable with that stuff. Probably a combo of a new bone dry humi, lack of capacity and ambient humidity. Thanks everyone.

Had the same problem. Threw a couple shot glasses of distilled water in and things are back to 63-64 (I use 65% beads.

I actually gave some thought to getting a humidifier. Not expressly because of the humidor, but the air in my house is dry as a bone over the winter. Pretty unpleasant actually when you constantly wake up with a dry mouth/dry nose, etc. Anyone have a humidifier in their home?
Here in dry-assed colorado a humidifier is almost a necessity in the winter. I think ambiant humidity inside without it would be 15-20%. Our himidifier runs almost constantly and makes a big difference in comfort levels.

We old timers prefer to "deep throat our cigars and lick them sensuously" there by providing the required moisture. Another lost tradition. :(

Doc.

if all else fails, doc could provide some insight on this i think. :whistling:

I recently down sized from my 150 count desktop, to my 32 count Otter Box. I use the 65% puck in the Otter Box, and I put most of my other loose sticks in boxes in my winecoolerdoor with one and a half pounds of 70% beads in it. Keeps the temp at 66F - 69F, and lets me keep my somewhat daily smokes at 65% still. RH holds rock steady in the Otter Box.

Bill