• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When did "lose" become "loose"?

I think a lot of grammatical laziness comes from people writing in the manner of their speech. The idiosyncrasies of different dialects and accents in the spoken word are much more prevalent in the written (or typed) word than they used to be. Writing used to be a more formal method of communication and greater care was taken to get things right. Now, it's completely informal in most cases and most writing has become 100% conversational in manner.

Of course, it could just be that a lot of people just don't have much concern about the subject.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Text messaging will kill written gramatical correctness. cuz OMZ LMAO ppl!! :)

I think a lot of grammatical laziness comes from people writing in the manner of their speech. The idiosyncrasies of different dialects and accents in the spoken word are much more prevalent in the written (or typed) word than they used to be.

Teaching in Texas, I've noticed that "interesting" inevitably gets spelled "intresting," "different" is either "diffrent" or "differnt" and "separate" is invariably, even in local publications, spelled "seperate."

And that IS how they're all pronounced, down here. What're ya gonna do? :rolleyes:

~Boar

Is anyone else, like I am, ever struck by the graceful prose of the 'common man' from times long past? For instance: The Civil War documentary, by Ken Burns. It moves me to hear the missives of even the lowliest rank of enlisted men, traditionally the least formally educated of men, read aloud. They sure seem to have known their way around the written word back in the day.

In addition to "loose" for "lose" the use of "sale" for "sell" makes me grit my teeth constantly online . . . you either have something for sale, or you have something you want to sell. You do NOT "want to sale some cigars!"

As an English teacher, I can assure you we're not playing tricks on the English language. We've just been unable to stem the tide of stupid. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, literacy USED to mean being able to sign your name. We've come pretty far since then.

~Boar

Hey Boar, can you borrow me your lighter for a moment? That's one that really bothers me.. interchanging borrow and lend.

One other is the bastardized creation of the word guesstimate.

Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do. :laugh:

Yeah, the problem with being better than everybody else is people tend to think you're pretentious.

Ask Coventry...oh, nevermind!
:(

emu.jpg

Your/You're/UR are often interchanged and it grates
on me.

Also, there/their/they're and to/too/two are often abused
as well.

I'm only now beginning to discern the proper usage of
WHO/WHOM, after 50 yrs. of indifference/darkness.

Almost everyone uses "there's" instead of "there are" when
speaking. I even hear lots of talking heads on TV misuse this
one.
"there's" is singular, "there are" is plural.

If I think it's a typo, then it doesn't bother me as much,
but

IN AMERIKA UR A NRD IF YOU SPEL STUF RYT.

Chemyst :cool: