• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When did you find "it"?

Uncle Boo

I've been smoking cigars now for about 5 months and I still haven't found my "go to" cigar yet.

I'm trying many different brands and sizes. When I started I was liking the smaller sizes but lately I've been enjoying something a bit larger. Same thing with strenght. I almost lost my dinner on my first strong cigar so I was going very mild, but lately I've been trying stronger smokes and can enjoy them more.

Is this something that takes time or does your favorite constantly change? ???

It changes over time for me.

Always evolving. Almost a year into cigars before I decided something was worth a box buy to have around. Not my favorite any more but still good.

I found mine by experiment. IT Anniversary Limited Reserve Buffalo.

However, for this "go to" smoke, I set some criteria for myself

1) inexpensive
2) smooth
3) good draw
4) mild/low nic

But now, like AVB stated, that I am broadening my smoking palette, I can see myself switching over from these to another brand in a few months, maybe even weeks. That doesn't mean that they still aren't a "go to" smoke, just means I can have more than one "go to" smoke. Tatuajes are strongly taking the #1 slot here.

I found mine the first time I tried a VSG. Unfortunately I can't always afford them......(damn Cali tobacco tax!!!).

My favorite changes like the weather in New England.

Doc.

I'm still pretty new at this, but so far the only cigar I love time after time is the Padilla Miami. I sample a lot, and come across some turds now and again. It's my fallback when I'm just in the mood for a damn good cigar. I guess it has become my "reference" smoke. The Tat Havana VI is running a close second right now.

I guess my point is that I'm fortunate to have found one this early on that I enjoy each and every time. But, as has been said, tastes change, and mine probably will, too. I just hope that when they do, it's to something a little cheaper. :D

No worries. I am still deciding. For the cost, I have been on a Tatuaje Havana VI kick lately.

Mine seems to change all the time, one week it will be CUban, another it is NC. Same thing with my cigars...lol.

I really like some Cubans. My favorite is probably the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, and in a close second place comes the Partagas Serie D #4. The Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill might become a contender too! I really love Anejos, Opus X and Padron 26/64, but these are hard to get over here, so my favorites kind of naturally come from Cuba.

How do you have a favorite cigar? It's like picking you favorite child! Cigars are so diverse, how could you ever say "this is my favorite"! The variety of taste and flavors is as ranged as food! Most people don't want to eat the same thing every meal! I find that I pick the cigar that I'm going to smoke from the mood I'm in! I'm always up to try new things(I draw the line at flavored, Acid style((I've smoked them for the experience and to be able to do my job properly)), smokes)! Never stop trying the new things, you might find something you really like!

Cigars are like women.

PLAY THE FIELD FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!

If I only had one "go to" cigar in my humi it would ruin the excitement of the selection process.

How do you have a favorite cigar? It's like picking you favorite child! Cigars are so diverse, how could you ever say "this is my favorite"! The variety of taste and flavors is as ranged as food! Most people don't want to eat the same thing every meal! I find that I pick the cigar that I'm going to smoke from the mood I'm in! I'm always up to try new things(I draw the line at flavored, Acid style((I've smoked them for the experience and to be able to do my job properly)), smokes)! Never stop trying the new things, you might find something you really like!

Well said and I definitely agree with you, especially the part about trying Acid style smokes.

I have three boxes right now, and each one I had numerous times before I decided to invest in a box (Cabaiguan, CAO Black, AVO Domaine #50). I've discovered that my palet changes over time, but one that I have liked since the beging is the Padron 2/3000 M.

I have between 30 and 50 different smokes in the humi at any given time. What to smoke when I go there depends on how much time I have, and whether or not I plan on sitting down and relaxing, or if it is going to be locked in my teeth while I do something else. Very seldom do I walk up to the humi knowing what I will pull out, generally, it comes down to what catches my eye as I open the door.

Cigars are like women.

PLAY THE FIELD FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!
!

If I only had one "go to" cigar in my humi it would ruin the excitement of the selection process.

Right but let's say you have had some bad experiences in a row. They were boring and uneventful. Worse yet: What if they left you something that you didn't want? After these situations, wouldn't you like to have one that you can always turn back to when you want to get something that you KNOW will be enjoyable, fun, and exciting?

So I agree, go ahead and try the unknowns. You may be in for the ride of your life. But keep a dependable one in your back pocket.

I still haven't found the 'one' and don't expect to ever find it!
I have some favs but love trying and discovering new sticks.
It's a fun ride!
What is wonderful about cigars is the diversity of flavors and shapes.

Also, it is possible for the dependable cigar to disapoint on occasion. While this sucks it does add to the mystery of cigar smoking.

-Rob

As soon as I had my first Padrón, the heavens opened up, I heard angels singing and I heard it declared, "it is good, yay it is good".