• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which cigar do you offer to first timers?

ManInBlack

I had a buddy over the other night who I had always thought would appreciate a good cigar. So I pulled down a bottle of rum, opened up my desktop humidor, and offered him his choice of cigar. I am a newbie at all of this, but I still like to think that I have some nice selections to offer up. I began describing my take on the characteristics of the different sticks. But my buddy seemed a bit overwhelmed and asked that I make the choice for him. This was the first time that I had introduced anyone to cigars. I didn't want to choose anything too powerful, a medium bodied cigar would do perfectly. I wanted a stick that had some complexity to it, something that would make a lasting impression. I settled on a classic: Montecristo No.2.

We sat out on my front porch. I showed him how to clip his cigar then how to light it. He did very well and got his stick burning nicely. Then he took a good puff and I could see him tasting the smoke... "Oh wow, there are so many flavours!" That was the reaction I was looking for. He thoroughly enjoyed his cigar (so did I!), and I think he is already hooked.

So the question to all of you is the following: Which cigar do you offer up to a first timer who you think will really appreciate a good cigar?

Now this depends. If this is a good friend or family member I will offer them a Padron 64 maduro. I think that this stick can show people what a truly good cigar can be and not the idea of a swisher sweet that most people have when they think of cigars. If its a person that is on the fence about smoking or someone I run into on the golf course i usually give them a CAO or Padron thousand series.

At my cousin's wedding back in September, the whole bridal party was young and not smokers. I made the nice gesture of bringing a dozen Ashton Magnums, and even the guys who never smoked enjoyed them, and I got points with the older crowd for a good choice.

As much as you want to give a newb the best, odds are they might not be able to appreciate it. I know when I was getting into cigars I would never have been able to tell the difference between a dog rocket and a great smoke (some would say I still can't). If it's out of my humi, I have some ERDM's and some Excaliburs that I enjoy and that wouldn't be too challenging for a rookie. If I'm buying them one, I might go with a Monte or perhaps Diamond Crown. Maybe even a Mac even though I think they are wildly overpriced. But they are mild and easy enough for a green rookie. I'll save the Chisel and Camachos for the more experienced!

Oh, an AF 8-9-8 would be a great choice as well!

Agreed.... AF 858 was my 1st REAL cigar after I was rescued from my swi....ummm, swi......ah hell, that sweet thing the kids make blunts out of, habit!!

The fella at my not so local B&M, if it can even be called that, suggested an 858 as my 1st stick, and that was just months ago, it was mellow enough, and tasted real good compared to what I thought was real... :whistling:

So there some fresh advise from someone who just stepped into the ring, case that helps!!

I've had very good luck with noob cigar smokers by offering up a Padron 2000. A nice cigar with lots of subtle flavors, not so expensive that if it hits the ash tray early it's a huge loss.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

As a noob my first few cigars were a Montecristo and Nub Connecticut. Both great cigars for a first timer, especially the Nub as I found this to be on the mild side. The Montecristo (the Dominican) also has the Connecticut wrapper, maybe that's why I enjoyed both. :) The Montecristo definitely had more flavor and was more medium bodied. Just a noobs thoughts on his first cigar experience.

One of my earlier non flavored cigars was a CAO brazillia, they're a rather solid choice.

In all honesty. (putting on my flak jacket here) I'm going to open two humidors. One with my choice sticks and the other will be my ACID humi...and I'm going to let them smell and tell me which humi they want me to choose from. Then I'll pick one to offer from there. A first timer may not know that they don't have to choose what their dad or grandfather might have smoked. If they try a Blondie or some other ACID and like it...so be it.

If we are on the golf course, I offer them the strongest that I have available. :whistling:

If we are just sitting around, then I usually offer them something on the mild-medium side.

If we are on the golf course, I offer them the strongest that I have available. :whistling:

If we are just sitting around, then I usually offer them something on the mild-medium side.

I do enjoy watching folks change colors. :laugh:

I keep a couple of Gisperts around. I've also done the Padron 2000/3000.

The Fuente 8-5-8 maduro is what I keep on hand for rookies. It is a good little cigar.

Either an Oliva V or an Avo Maduro No. 2

Avo's are some of my favorites... I gave a friend an Avo maduro and he sucked it down so fast it drove me crazy... another time with another guy I gave him one for his birthday and he put it down so he could smoke some cloves... sadly never again

Padron x000 series works for this.

RyJ Bullys or Anniversarios are good newbie choices---great construction, pleasant flavors in the mild-to-medium range, not so expensive I'll hate them forever for only smoking half . . . :laugh:

~Boar