• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which tobacco companies freeze their tobacco.

Humidor Minister

I looked for an answer in the search but no luck. I read the great link about beetles that someone here had posted and it named a couple. I was wondering though, which companies do and which don't. I woulld hope that all of them do but it doesn't seem to be the case. This could help in deciding brands to keep in the warmer weather here.

I do not have a answer for the NC brands. I believe that Habanos S.A. freezes all of the cigars before they are shipped.

When i toured the General Cigar facilities they walked me through the huge freezer. :love: All those cigars looked beautiful. :love:

I believe I read a thread from Alan aka. Lilbastige where he had a conversation with Jorge Padron about them freezing their cigars before shipment.

Led to him experimenting with lighting a Padron cigar right out of the freezer.

As for the CC, I've been in discussions about this before and never really got a definitive answer.

When you take into account all the cigars they produce and import, where are these facilities located? Is there one at each factory?....or a central location that handles this task before importation. They would have to be quite large. This is the same country that could just about repair or replace the ramshackle tobacco field curing barns and storage buildings after the hurricanes last year.

There would have to be some very large freezing warehouses to handle this task and at a cost that would be in the millions when you factor in their year around warm climate. Then there is the time involved to properly freeze them. If all these cigars are loaded on pallets, it would take some time for the inner most boxes to reach the proper temperature to be effective in killing the beetle larva. This would have to be properly monitored to guarantee the freezing was successful.

I would like to hear from out Canadian, Pacific & European brothers who may have traveled there to comment on this, if only to say that they saw these facilities in working order.

I believe I read a thread from Alan aka. Lilbastige where he had a conversation with Jorge Padron about them freezing their cigars before shipment.

RIGHT HERE

I've read that pretty much all of the major manufacturers now do so, but I can't back it up with a link or anything. Maybe some of our friends in the business would know more for sure. Are the Patel Factory tour guys back yet? They may have some insight.

RIGHT HERE

I've read that pretty much all of the major manufacturers now do so, but I can't back it up with a link or anything. Maybe some of our friends in the business would know more for sure. Are the Patel Factory tour guys back yet? They may have some insight.
Tomorrow.

It's my understanding that if the temp is 20 below it only takes a few hours. In a deep freeze for household use it can take a week or more. In hot temps above 140 degrees it can also take only a few hours. I'd be worried about the diverse effect that could have though.

It's my understanding that if the temp is 20 below it only takes a few hours. In a deep freeze for household use it can take a week or more. In hot temps above 140 degrees it can also take only a few hours. I'd be worried about the diverse effect that could have though.

Tried the heat once, but the cello melted. :sign:

I can guess 140 degrees would thoroughly cook off the tobacco oils long before the beetle eggs.

That's a good question. I would worry about expansion. My concern would be separating the wrapper. You might try you might try it with some dog rockets.

I asked one of the reps at the shop I work at, and he said that all manufacturers that legally sell cigars in the US freeze their tobacco. I tend to believe this, as he was telling me about the different factories and the freezers that he has seen.

I asked one of the reps at the shop I work at, and he said that all manufacturers that legally sell cigars in the US freeze their tobacco. I tend to believe this, as he was telling me about the different factories and the freezers that he has seen.

Leo! Where the hell ya been?

That's quite a relief to know. Any info on CC's? Should they be isolated?

Leo! Where the hell ya been?

busy with school and work. Graduation was yesterday, and now (with the exception of my 15 hours a week of retail) gainfully unemployed, and plan to be back on the boards more. :)

That's quite a relief to know. Any info on CC's? Should they be isolated?

I didnt specifically ask him about CC's, but I would imagine that they do not take the same precautions that the NC companies do.

This comes from the cubancigarwebsite.

Freezing

In addition to fumigation, freezing of the finished cigars is used to kill the tobacco beetle Lasioderma serricorne.

Freezing of cigars commenced around early 2005. It is carried out in the Habanos main temperature and humidity controlled storage and distribution building. This, combined with fumigation, is intended to kill all eggs, insects, and lava within the tobacco.

Some regional distributors had their own freezing facilities, predating the Habanos plant.

linky

This comes from the cubancigarwebsite.

Freezing

In addition to fumigation, freezing of the finished cigars is used to kill the tobacco beetle Lasioderma serricorne.

Freezing of cigars commenced around early 2005. It is carried out in the Habanos main temperature and humidity controlled storage and distribution building. This, combined with fumigation, is intended to kill all eggs, insects, and lava within the tobacco.

Some regional distributors had their own freezing facilities, predating the Habanos plant.

linky

Great link. There's tons of very detailed information there. Thanks. :thumbs: