• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

White Specks On Ash?

Cigar Chief

Hello to all the CP members. I have to say this is the best site about Cigars that I have found! Whenever I need information about cigars I know I can find it here.
I am kinda new to cigar smoking and have an average collection of cigars (About 100 or so). I keep them in my Torino humidor and the temp stays around 68-70 deg. and 65-68 RH. I had bought a variety of smokes a few months ago and one of them happens to be an Acid Def Sea. I bought these because they seem to have pretty good reviews by some members here and at the place where I bought them. I do have to say that it was a pretty decent cigar. My concern was that while I was smoking it I noticed these white specks on the ash. I have smoked plenty of other cigars and never noticed that before with any of them. I tried searching for an answer but could not find one. I just hope that it is not the dreaded Beetle!! All of my other cigars seem in perfect condition that I can tell. Just concerned!!

Cigar Chief

P.S.
I hope the image comes up!

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/uploads/12...3_567_37746.jpg

Hope this link helps if it works. If not, go to Vitolas.net and type in "spots" into the search function on that site.

Vitolas Linky.

Its nothing to worry about.
They can be from the toothy wrapper and extreme cases from some deficiency in the soil when the tobacco is grown. By the look of your pic it is just a toothy wrapper

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm still not sure what it is but I used to get them with some Padrons and other marcas as well, but not so much recently.

high concentrations of magnesium and potash levels in the leaf

Link me

Actually, it's not considered tooth in his case, but rather "Grain" from excessive amounts of Magnesium and Potash deposits in the leaf. Tooth is something completely different.

Edit: Read the link to Mokis site I put in post #2. :)

Actually, it's not considered tooth in his case, but rather "Grain" from excessive amounts of Magnesium and Potash deposits in the leaf. Tooth is something completely different.

Edit: Read the link to Mokis site I put in post #2. :)

I'm getting a "no image to display" page when I click on the link. It makes sense though because the ash in these cases is always very light, I guess from the magnesium.

I had this same question some time back as I ran into a smoke that had some quite discernible white spots all through the ash. The answer was it was just the "tooth". If you look closely at the wrapper, you can see the tooth, which when burning translates into the white specks seen in the ash. I hadn't heard of the Magnesium/Pot Ash deposits, however I'm thinking this is what causes "tooth" to occur? Either way, it's not beetle eggs. :D

Here's the link to moki's site that jfields was trying to put up.

Vitolas

I learned something myself. I was told by someone before that this was tooth. I guess the learning never ceases here at CP.

When you link to moki's site you have to use the URL at the bottom of the screen or it won't work right.

:)

(I had to edit it three times to get the link to work...)

Thanks Alan. I knew there was something special you had to do to post links to Vitolas, but I could not remember what.

Worked fine for me, but I guess not everyone else.

Excellent info! So there is a difference, one being tooth and the other grain (white specks). I definitely learned something new today!

I knew I could find the answer here. I appreciate all the information everyone supplied. I know now not to worry about it and can enjoy those cigars more next time.
Thanks again CP members.
;)
Cigar Chief

It's an Acid....you expected different....??.... :laugh:

...I kid, I kid.....B.B.S.

It's funny, I hadn't seen this in quite a while and I just finished smoking a Siglo III and yep.... it had the same graininess. Definitely ddin't negatively impact the flavor though. :love: Thanks for all of the info guys..... this one was definitely a puzzler for quite some time.

I head the white spots on the Acids are dried spots of money spank and fairy pee that give them all thier flavor.