• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who do you emulate when smoking?

4cbln3

WTF are skin tags?!
When I thought about where I was in '72, I realized I was 7 yrs. old and although I grew up around cigar, pipe, and cigarette smokers whenever I have a cigar clenched in my teeth I remember my uncle Hiromi who used to always have the butt of a cigar sticking out of his mouth.

He was a fisherman who had a sampan in his yard and whenever we visited him, up popped his head from his boat with his trademark cigar butt being clenched in his teeth. I think he smoked White Owls because all of his fishing lures and line would be in those boxes. My dad used to smoke cigars, but it being occasionally, a cigarette is what I envision in my dads mouth, so my uncle with his Hanes white t-shirt and cigar in his mouth is who sometimes I unconsciously think I'll become one day.

I don't smoke like him all the time unless I'm doing the yard or some task that requires me to keep the cigar close by, having the head of the cigar that wet makes for a harder draw.

Thought about Clint Eastwood, but without a horse and gun, it just didn't seem plausible.
laugh.gif
"Blondie: After a meal there’s nothing like a good cigar."

I'm told my grand father smoked cigars, but he died before I was born. My folks were decidedly anti-tobacco so there was nothing doing there. Never really knew anyone in real life who smoked a cigar. I picked up the habit as a teenager watching all the guys at the golf course puffing away as they stepped out of their Bimmers and Porsches.

However, growing up, an old Filipino couple lived next door to us. The old man had fought in WWII and I don't think I ever saw him without his pipe. I will never forget the smell of walking into their home. That is probably the strongest image of a smoker I have in mind when I smoke my pipe. Though another very influential person to me was a supervisor I had at an Ambulance service I worked at during college. Being a supervisor, he always had his big f250 in the garage and during any down time on the 6pm - 8am shift, chances are he'd be sitting on the tailgate puffing away. He was actually the inspiration for me to pick up my first pipe (the rest as they say is history). More then just smoking, I try to remember what I learned from him in my daily life when dealing with the people that I now supervise.

My Dad smoked Italian Dry cured Cigars. He was a Jazz Drummer, and a Tool & Die maker. He would get the longer vitola, cut it in half, and put one half behind his ear, while either smoking or chomping on the other half. He is definitely my influence for trying my first cigar. In fact, shortly after I started cigars, over 30 yrs ago, I actually tried cutting a
Punch in half, and it promptly fell apart. Finally learned that you could only do that with dry cured sticks.

My Grandfather, and Great Grandfather both smoked pipes. My Great Grandfather was a Shepherd, in Italy, and was the most calm, peaceful, gracious, and wise person I knew in my childhood. He barely spoke, and when he did, it was usually psalms or proverbs. He was a true contemplative, and he would always have that pipe in his mouth while always seeming to be in thought.That whole family was magical that way. Very influential in my spiritual life.

My Grandpa smoked a pipe at times, and when I started smoking cigarettes, at about 17 or so, he gave me a pipe, and some tobacco in a pouch, and said to me:
"Danilo, smoke this, not cigarettes" And never said another word about it. It was a nice pipe, with a long stem. The tobacco had some orange peel in it for humidification. I did smoke it for a while, but put it down when I started with the cigars. Didn't really know what I was doing back then. Have been trying to learn how to smoke a pipe again, as much more info available on "how to".

Smoking a cigar often brings memories of both of these great men.

When I was growing up, I had a Grandpa Larsen that was from Denmark, and he smoked pipes and cigars (no shit, Dutch Masters, I can still remember the cardboard box the 5-ers came in). I always liked spending time with him; he was an avid rock hound, having a huge collection of rocks and fossils from amazing places. A collection that was donated to a University when he passed. It was really something; as a little kid, we'd go into Grandpa's "rock room" and I'd get lost. Grandpa would tell me all about the fossil or rock I had in my hands, and I'd daydream about it and try to imagine where it came from....while Grandpa had a pipe or cigar.

I'll always associate the aroma of a pipe or cigar with great times and warm family memories....thanks to those unforgettable times with my Grandpa.

I would have to say my father, as I watched him smoke cigars and pipes while I was growing up. It'll be three years this month since he passed and each time I light a cigar or pipe I think of him. Fortunately I obtained his "collection" so I can pass them to my son, whether or not he takes up the hobby.

Nobody.

Dad was a cigarette smoker who graduated to pipes. My maternal grandfather smoked cigars, but he passed before I came along. My paternal grandfather smoked pipes. I didn't find out until after he passed that he used to smoke cigars, and that was only because I came across an old picture of him with one.