• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who owns a Prius?

That video rocks. It's great when they blast the crap out of it.

I want to do that to car. Get some aggregation out.

"Aggregation?" Let me know when you get it out. :laugh: :sign:

Reminds me of something that happened to me...

Long ago, in my full-time practicing days, I had a secretary that was so damn easy on the eyes, and tremendously....accomodating....but left a great deal to be desired in terms of actual work ability.
One day, I dictated a letter to a client (one of my insurance defense cases I had at the time), dictated in my customary and usual, deep, crisp, clear USMC Captain annunciation, so as to ensure clarity and precision. In that letter, a long letter to boot, I continually referred to the ins. carrier's ability to exercise its right to subrogation, its subrogation rights, etc.

I get the letter back, transcribed and gave it a proof-read. Imagine my dismay when I discovered it continually referred to, instead, the carrier's right to segregation.

"Aggregation?" Let me know when you get it out. :laugh: :sign:

Reminds me of something that happened to me...

Long ago, in my full-time practicing days, I had a secretary that was so damn easy on the eyes, and tremendously....accomodating....but left a great deal to be desired in terms of actual work ability.
One day, I dictated a letter to a client (one of my insurance defense cases I had at the time), dictated in my customary and usual, deep, crisp, clear USMC Captain annunciation, so as to ensure clarity and precision. In that letter, a long letter to boot, I continually referred to the ins. carrier's ability to exercise its right to subrogation, its subrogation rights, etc.

I get the letter back, transcribed and gave it a proof-read. Imagine my dismay when I discovered it continually referred to, instead, the carrier's right to segregation.

Confuscious say "woman who be easy on eye, may be hard on trouble"

The one that has always served me well is "man who drop watch in toilet, have shitty time."

Funny video but I hate the Brit as he did a hatchet job(for one thing, it was too large for the British roads...) on 'my' F150 Lightning a few years ago.

Dan

"... and here is Billy Bob, he thinks Delivrance was a documentary..."

:sign:

Now THAT's funny.

Fish

PS - Dont drive a Prius

Drove one for 3 years. Traded it in on a highlander hybrid last year. Loved it. I can't wait until the plugins come out in 2010 that get around 150 mpg.

Where's BlindedByScience? ???

I want his take on this POS! :laugh:

First time I saw one on the road, I thought it was a Toyota "Virus." My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. :whistling:

Where's BlindedByScience? ???

I want his take on this POS! :laugh:

First time I saw one on the road, I thought it was a Toyota "Virus." My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. :whistling:
"....or, if you have a need in some way to save the planet, buy a Golf diesel; I promise - it'll be better...."

Yep.

The Prius (and other hybrids) IMHO are the most selfish cars on the planet. The get no better mileage than my VW TDI, usually not as good. There is a small armada of them where I work. And, they pack around 400+ lbs of some of the most toxic battery chemistry known to man.

The battery starts at a nickel mine in Canada that is one of the worst environmental disasters in North America where the raw ore is mined. The ore is then put on a truck, and trucked to a boat where the nickel is shipped to China. There, that ore can be refined without any pesky environmental regulations. Hey, that's "green"...!! Then, once refined, it's back on a truck and back on another boat to Japan where it gets made into a battery. Then it gets put into your Prius and shipped stateside so you can hoist your nose at folks and pretend you're doing the "green" thing for your fellow man. What is really going on is an ego stroke of huge proportions. I could just puke. When that oh so special battery needs to be replaced, count on dropping $5-7K at the dealer.

Then, where does that old worn out battery go? Oh, we'll pay some third world country a buck or two to store it forever and pollute their groundwater with nasty heavy metals that can't effectively be recycled.

Folks rant and rave about how "green" their hybrids are, but fail to think about what goes into them, where those materials came from, and what is going to happen to those unfriendly leftovers when it's time for the car to be recycled. IMHO, it is selfish, shortsighted, and errant. An efficient small diesel, or even some of the new well engineered gas engines have equal or greater mileage, are far safer in a collision, and are almost 100% recyclable.

The .50 cal was too good for that POS.....I was hoping for an explosion..... :laugh:

....*&%$$#&*^%&%#&^%$#..... :laugh:

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

"....or, if you have a need in some way to save the planet, buy a Golf diesel; I promise - it'll be better...."

Yep.

The Prius (and other hybrids) are the most selfish cars on the planet. The get no better mileage than my VW TDI, usually not as good. There is a small armada of them where I work. And, they pack around 400+ lbs of some of the most toxic battery chemistry known to man.

The battery starts at a nickel mine in Canada that is one of the worst environmental disasters in North America where the raw ore is mined. The ore is then put on a truck, and trucked to a boat where the nickel is shipped to China. There, that ore can be refined without any pesky environmental regulations. Hey, that's "green"...!! Then, once refined, it's back on a truck and back on another boat to Japan where it gets made into a battery. Then it gets put into your Prius and shipped stateside so you can hoist your nose at folks and pretend you're doing the "green" thing for your fellow man. What is really going on is an ego stroke of huge proportions. I could just puke. When that oh so special battery needs to be replaced, count on dropping $5-7K at the dealer.

Then, where does that old worn out battery go? Oh, we'll pay some third world country a buck or two to store it forever and pollute their groundwater with nasty heavy metals that can't effectively be recycled.

The .50 cal was too good for that POS.....I was hoping for an explosion..... :laugh:

....*&%$$#&*^%&%#&^%$#..... :laugh:

B.B.S.

This is one of the best things I have read on the Prius in a quite a while. :thumbs: You could compete with Clarkson! :laugh:

from http://www.thecarconnection.com/article/10...loding-the-myth

Over the past year, there has been an explosion of stories raising questions about the real environmental cost of hybrids.

One of the most misleading ones, which has been spread by countless blogs over the past several weeks, and cited without verification by several sources that appear reputable, looks to have originated in a story last November in England’s Daily Mail, a right-leaning, British tabloid paper, which bore the gleefully spiteful title ‘Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness.’ An editorial, published last month in a newspaper for a small state university on the East Coast, helped bring this misleading report a new life.

But it isn’t a Toyota factory at all. The automaker has, in fact, only been purchasing significant amounts of nickel from the Sudbury , Ontario , Inco mine for its batteries in recent years, while the environmental disaster the headline is referring to largely occurred more than thirty years ago.

And that ore is at the core of a semi-urban legend that leads to dumb headlines like “HUMMER Greener than Prius,” and others we’ve seen recently.

Toyota says that nickel has been mined from in Sudbury since the 1800s, and that “the large majority of the environmental damage from nickel mining in and around Sudbury was caused by mining practices that were abandoned decades ago.” Out of the Inco mine’s 174,800-ton output in 2004, Toyota purchased 1000 tons, just over a half-percent of its output. The plant’s emissions of sulfur dioxide are down 90 percent from 1970 levels, and it’s targeting a 97-percent reduction in those emissions by 2015, according to Toyota.

Of course, metal-hydride hybrid batteries aren’t the only use for nickel. One widespread use of nickel is for the chrome (chromium-nickel) plating that’s widely used in trim and wheels for luxury vehicles. And according to the Nickel Institute, which represents trade groups, manufacturers, and nickel producers, about two-thirds of all nickel mined goes toward stainless steel, which is of course widely used in vehicles — exhaust systems, for instance. Another significant portion goes toward engine alloys — pistons, rings, liners and the like; in general, the larger the engine, the more nickel it’s likely to have.

Of course, metal-hydride hybrid batteries aren’t the only use for nickel. One widespread use of nickel is for the chrome (chromium-nickel) plating that’s widely used in trim and wheels for luxury vehicles. And according to the Nickel Institute, which represents trade groups, manufacturers, and nickel producers, about two-thirds of all nickel mined goes toward stainless steel, which is of course widely used in vehicles — exhaust systems, for instance. Another significant portion goes toward engine alloys — pistons, rings, liners and the like; in general, the larger the engine, the more nickel it’s likely to have.
The "not contributing to the environmental disaster" at the Canadian nickel mine is debatable (and various sources have conflicting "facts"), but I'll concede that one. However......
Stainless steel can be recycled.
Exhaust systems can be recycled.
Engine alloys can be recycled.
Pistons, rings, liners, etc. can be recycled.
....expended nasty nickel metal hydride chemistry presents a real disposal challenge due to the quantity of heavy metals that are present in the gruel. Keep in mind the disposal of nickel isn't the big problem, it's the nasty chemicals that get mixed with it and the compounds they produce during the life cycle of the battery that is the huge problem. Even the most "environmentally sensitive" disposal methods end up with barrels of toxic goop that's basically unusable for new products. What do you suppose is to be done with that.....??

And, think about how thick the nickel plating is on a bumper (it's under the chrome, and is done to improve the surface conductivity before the chrome is plated on). I'll bet I could plate, oh, maybe two or three thousand bumpers with the nickel in ONE Prius battery..... :laugh:

If people want to be a "friend to the environment", people have to start thinking about the entire life cycle of the products they buy, not just the period when they "use" them. The "HUMMER Greener than Prius" story isn't really as "dumb" as it sounds. Read the article (it's all over the web). It considers the impact of manufacturing, the life cycle, the consumables along the way, and the percentage or materials that is easily recyclable versus the percentage that is completely unusable at the end of the vehicles life. On the surface it sounds silly but if you read the article, they have valid points.

Regards - B.B.S.